Stonejag

Silicon Hose kits for VR6 from Roose Motorsport

OK, I have my hoses and have fitted 8 out of 9. The last one is supposed to go from a breather valve at the top of the valve cover (near the throttle) to the air intake. Obviously it doesn't fit on to the valve, there's not enough room so I assume that the valve gets removed to fit this hose, is that correct?

If that's so then is it OK just to remove it?

Also, do I just plug up the other breather that steps over the valve and pops into the top of it?

Unfortunately I can't get a photo of it right now and I can't even find it on the drawings on VAGCAT.

Sounds like the PCV valve hose to me. I was tempted to blend my Samco hose in by cutting it but in the end I decided to leave best alone.

On a seperate note I had a good nose around Nick's (stonejag) engine bay on Saturday and these hoses look very well made especially in comparison to my Samco's. If I was buying a set now it would be these and not the Samco's I would go for.

I believe it is called the PCV hose though I don't know what PCV stands for.

Does anyone else know what to do with this valve? what does it do?

Nice work on organising this. The recent thread about certain VR6 hoses going obsolete should mean than Roose will be getting a few orders for their hose kits in the future!

I believe it is called the PCV hose though I don't know what PCV stands for.

Does anyone else know what to do with this valve? what does it do?

Positive Crankcase Ventilation

It's an emissions regulations thing that oily crankcase gasses have to be vented back into the intake to burn up in the combustion chamber. The valve is a non-return so gas can't bypass the manifold, I believe. They weren't even present on early VRs (like mine) so I assume it's safe to omit.

They also lower the octane rating of the fuel (not a good thing) so help with the idle emissions. It's best to put back on when taking your car for an MOT as if the MOT bloke knows his stuff he will fail it if the PCV is missing, and I believe it is illegal to vent engines oil vapours directly into the atmosphere (but don't quote me on that as I am not 100% certain). Early VR's simply had a pipe from the top of engine cover to the flexible inlet pipe to vent the engine vapours back into the engine to be reburnt.

Edited by DriverVR6

You can just pipe straight from the PCV vent into the inlet manifold (via the little blue dummy plug that is a heater on the cold-climate models but just a placeholder on ours) - I don't have a PCV valve fitted at all...worth giving your ISV and throttle body a clean from time to time if you do this as the oil vapour can foul them a little when the engine's cold.

Also, do I just plug up the other breather that steps over the valve and pops into the top of it?

I have a sneaking suspicion that you're trying to describe the vacuum feed that operates the carbon canister valve. You should be fine just substituting a piece of standard vacuum line direct from the vacuum port on the inlet manifold (near the throttle body on the opposite side to the throttle linkage) into the carbon canister's valve, which should be a blue item attached to your offside suspension tower and piped into the carbon canister which lives under the airbox.

Stone

Stone, you are right. That's exactly what I was trying to describe.

I will fit the new pipe, omiting the breather valve and fit a new vacuum hose from the carbon canister (I never knew what that was before).

Thanks to everyone else for the info.

James

Will this pipe set work for C 92 16V 2.0 (9A)?

I doubt it but worth asking eh

No.

So presumably:

Send original pipe set to Roose

Original pipe set copied and new pipe set manufactured.

Cost given (£300ish)

New pipe set delivered

What's the lead time generally?

So presumably:

Send original pipe set to Roose

Original pipe set copied and new pipe set manufactured.

Cost given (£300ish)

New pipe set delivered

What's the lead time generally?

They did ours within a week of getting the sample set...

Are these still available??

Yes, but not at the group discount price :)

Stone

From their website, looks like they're happy to organise group buys at any time though. Would be interested, but not for a few months.

Think that's around £100 more than the discounted Roose price though!

Then Roose it is then lol.

I should be up for a group buy if it comes along within the next few months or so, the yellow Samco's on mine don't really do it for me!

Is this still on? I would like a set of hoses

Im not sure about the Roose hoses on this thread.

I do know there were a few of us that were interested in http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?79256-Corrado-SAMCO-HOSE-KITS-20-30-anyone/page3&highlight=samco but the person who was organising it couldnt wait

i am still keen for some silicon hoses - be it samco or roose

Jim - maybe we can organise our own buy.....& hopefully get a good deal?

I already have a set of samcos and finding splits in them after a few years, so i would be after the roose ones to try/have for spares.

"splits after a few years" that doesnt sound good!! I thought samco were the top end of the silicon hose market :s

samco have a lifetime gaurentee dont they?

Its weird, i had to cut one of them open and on the inside of hose, the grey layer (which is the inner most) has weird splits all over it, and some areas its into the blue layer.

The areas where three hoses join seem to be splitting on the outside. I would hope its these hoses and not my headgasket, but think its a bit of both.

I bought them brand new, but from someone on here, who bought them and never fitted.

Its weird, i had to cut one of them open and on the inside of hose, the grey layer (which is the inner most) has weird splits all over it, and some areas its into the blue layer.

The areas where three hoses join seem to be splitting on the outside. I would hope its these hoses and not my headgasket, but think its a bit of both.

I bought them brand new, but from someone on here, who bought them and never fitted.

Not good at all! i wonder if anyone else on here has had a similar experience with samco's?

the samco site says they have lifetime gaurentee as long as you have the original receipt for the purchase - jim did you get that with them?

might be worth contacting them & see what they say