swiftkid

Immobiliser Problem

Hey all, I must have posted about 20,000 topics about immobiliser problems but sadly its reared its ugly head again... this time on my mates car.

We have in the engine module:

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

P1570 - 35-00

I forgot to log the other but in the Immobiliser module

Does anyone know checks on how to find the problem. The car is a 1996 golf cabriolet that went from a 2.0 8v to a vr6 obd1, then had engine problems so I convinced him to convert to obd2... well it would be rude not too!

I have wired the transponder up as per the guides

2 brown wires to earth

black wire piggy backed off the existing black wire in the green plug

grey wires plugged in one to the single wire and one to diagnostic.

If you are still reading and havn't got too bored, yes I know I can get the immobiliser removed but I would prefer to find out whats doing it and fix it!

Could be a faulty transponder, coil or chip... I have up after many hours and got the imob deleted from ECU as you can guarantee it will go wrong in the future anyway... Ran all usual checks, everything seemed to be communicating together even though everything was matched and synced! Just one of those things if it's wired up correctly :)

Mine occasionally starts and cuts out, does it about 3 - 4 times then will go. Where can I get the imob deleted and where is it?

You'd need send your car ECU off to stealth racing and they will remove it... Job done.

I had my ECU tweaked as I'm now obd2 and wanted the limiter raised to what the obd1 ECU was set at as the soft limiter on the obd2 golf is lower...

Nothing to lose - a lot of these bad start issues may simply be down to a poor connection between the plug at the end of the key ignition coil/aerial to the imm box under the drivers shelf. Try spraying a small amount of WD40 on the plug contacts then plug back in. My OBD2 fault code was also P1570 Engine Blocked. Suffered from this the first part of last year, just lived with it before I finally got stranded with a complete non start. Perfect ever since and saved the headache of someone messing uneccessarily. Worth a shot if the car meets the criteria where the issue was known.

Yes, the easy option is to remove the immobiliser but I really hate to be beaten and I want to know why both me and my friend have had the exact same problem. I would ideally like to put my immobiliser back on as it worked before I went obd2 so I cannot understand why it caused problems switching over seeing as I didn't actually do anything to disturb the transponder wiring.

I went wild with WD40 on my loom but havn't tried it on my mates yet, might be worth a try. As far as I know though, as long as its earthed, the black wire has ignition fed 12v and the grey wire is plugged in there should be no reason for it to not start. Weird thing is, if I go into metering blocks all 3 records read 1 so it should really fire!

. I would ideally like to put my immobiliser back on as it worked before I went obd2 so I cannot understand why it caused problems switching over seeing as I didn't actually do anything to disturb the transponder wiring.

Did you swap the transponder box to match the OBD2 ecu?

I thought the transponder box matched the chip not the ECU, but anyway I tried it both ways on mine. My mates on the other hand didn't come with transponder so had to buy them seperately, so we got the chip, halo and transponder as a package

I have found an adaption process in vagcom but unfortunately I only have vcds lite so can't make changes :(

Edited by swiftkid

I always thought or needed match ECU also... I tried adaption but didn't work.

Just thought I would update this thread in case anyone is having the same problem and finds this, always nice to have a problem solved at the end of the topic!

Anyway, I followed the words of wisdom in the second post down on this website and it fired up first time, happy happy days! http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic30638-1-2.aspx#bm30731

Not sure, possibly. I can whack it on Vagcom and see what error code it fires up if you want?

Ahh bloody ABS light. I have to sort that out on mine, such a stupid system! Sure thing, just bob round sometime and I'll chuck it on vagcom.

Nothing to lose - a lot of these bad start issues may simply be down to a poor connection between the plug at the end of the key ignition coil/aerial to the imm box under the drivers shelf. Try spraying a small amount of WD40 on the plug contacts then plug back in. My OBD2 fault code was also P1570 Engine Blocked. Suffered from this the first part of last year, just lived with it before I finally got stranded with a complete non start. Perfect ever since and saved the headache of someone messing uneccessarily. Worth a shot if the car meets the criteria where the issue was known.

can someone tell me where this plug is in image 2 ?

cheers