Rams

Cctv... Group Buy feeler

Hi all

ANYONE UP FOR A GROUP BUY CCTV SETUP?

Some scrote has levered my dads bumper inserts out of his C class Merc to steal the parking sensors. Happend in broad day light outside my annexe. When I noticed I just couldn't believe it. They were taken to order!

I've had a couple of things happen to previous vehicles I have owned and so have others along the road. Its not really over looked and I have decided that I will be installing a sensible CCTV system as I am going to catch the scum bags. Always kept saying I need some decent CCTV and its always after the event.

I felt sick for my dad really, hes always had cheapy cars and given us - his children the best and since he retired we found him a lovely c class and he really enjoys driving it.

I even spent an hour driving round local streets to see if I could find a similar car but no joy but would love any advice on a decent system and what costs I might be looking at. I like the idea of being able to log on and see the cameras remotely and something that is good for evening times / polarity.

The neighbour across the road - we look out for one another and he said he would possibly chip in as my house would show his house on the opposite road. Budget wise, £3/400 but if you think spending a bit more would be worth it, im all ears. Or less to achieve similar results?

Cheers

Rams

Edited by Rams

How many cameras do you want bud?

I can have a word with a guy at work for the cameras them self.

You will need a DVR its like a hard drive that captures the images on and you view them on a monitor, or you can do via your computer if you have it on all the time using a video card and using the hard drive to store the images.

£400 is ok budget i think a reasonable DVR is about £200

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channel-CCTV-Digital-Video-Recorder-DVR-500GB-HDD-/180709136111?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a131a96ef

This is a 4 ch

Or budget setup

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4CH-CCTV-Surveillance-H-264-DVR-4-IR-Cameras-Network-Mobile-View-Security-System-/180837768470?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a1ac55d16

I would advise looking about before you buy

3 to 4 cameras should be ideal. I have ideas where I want them placed. Thanks for this...

I will check the links out and try and learn abit more.

Nice one

Rams

I have installed a few wireless IP infa red camera's for my old man to monitor his shed's & tools etc. They work in pitch black, have motion sensor activation and take snaps which can be uploaded to an ftp site as well as emailing notifications etc. I'm sure that there are better ones out there but these seem to work quite well for what we need - http://foscam.co.uk/

Cheers gents...

Will keep reading these links and seeing what others have done.

much appreciated

---------- Post added 10th March 2012 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 9th March 2012 at 11:53 PM ----------

Im thinking above my gate, I could have 2 light fittings with hidden cameras inside so people are not aware they are being filmed. I was told about this style of camera kit a few months back by my electrician. Hopefully if I havent got to much work on tomorrow I can go and check some kits out and see how much I have to do to wire it all up.

As Beastie mentions a guy at work has a similar setup. He can set a grid within an area within the camera that when motion is detected it starts recording. Basically traffic going past on the road doesn't bother the camera (but can be seen) but as soon as motion is detected on his drive or garden its starts recording. The recording is automatically uploaded to a dropbox account in case the pc its recording to is stolen. He can also check it at anytime on his smartphone too. After a break in as he is in a remote area it has put him at ease a bit.

Take a look at the Y-cam range mate, they have all the above features, very user friendly and there is an 'app' available allowing for remote viewing.

Would there be enough interest to do a group buy if we can get the discount/numbers up?

The remote viewing is very appealing and that way we can all see our machines at a flick of a few buttons.

I would be happy to input time to deal with the companies to agree a lower price etc once we know what people may opt to go for. The tec side, you guys can figure out. If you said, Rams, these are excellent value, this is the best price we can get, I will better the price. Within reason obviously.

Great. I am happy to go for a cheaper system if that helps peoples decisions specially if we get a blinding deal so we can get something of better quality at a much reduced price.

There was a post earlier today where some builders got aload of glue on his C and he said he cant proove anything. If he was able to look back, and see then he could do something about it.

If it's for you house you could look at network cameras - my NAS (big hard disk array that my backups go onto, tied into my network so I can get at music/films/files from anywhere) supports CCTV with motion detection, remote recordings, sending emails on alerts etc. It's a Synology DS211j: could be good if you were after some backup space anyway?

For the rado I saw this the other day: link

frontcams.jpg

closeup.jpg

Could make for quite a neat install - supports two extra cameras as well as the ones on the display, and records continuously to a SD card while you're driving. Could be handy for the insurance arguments? Also I'm pretty sure there'll be a permanent live feed into the interior light under the sunroof control panel so you could wire it in there...

Stone

Whilst cameras offer a little more peace of mind, and make you feel you have gone someway towards addressing the indiscretions of the great unwashed. Sadly however they act only as a deterrent to all but the more hardened criminal.

If you are going to fit cameras, as indeed we have, fit the best available to ensure you can record decent high resolution pictures both day and night. At least then, if there is another event, you can offer the Police pictures that do clearly identify the culprit. Cameras, great idea but don't fit cheap product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there not "rules" about these cameras covering public areas? I took pictures of people allowing their dogs to crap in the estate I live in and when I went to the cops about it they told me to destroy them or I could be charged with photographing them without their permission and was invading their human rights or some such crap.

Edit

Just did a bit of googling about this and there's a minefield lying in wait. Data Protection Act and Human rights legislation. Seems to be legal if the camera only covers your own property and no public areas, public areas are a bit more tricky. May be legal, may not. It may be worth while to have a word with the local police to clarify your position.

Edited by Wullie

I think I have no choice but fit some in my window pointing straight on my car but problem is I can't always park it in same spot :(