P3rks

288mm MK4 brakes - a few questions

Word,

My current brakes are binding so I've got hold of some MK4 288mm calipers and carriers.

My understanding is that I need MK4 - MK2 conversion hoses. C&R do a 312mm/mk4 rears Goodridge set for the Corrado; do that's the hoses sorted.

I believe I need to use late MK3 288mm discs - correct? Also what discs are recommended?

What pads do I use? MK3 or MK4 pads? Also what make are recommended?

Is there anything I've missed? What about bolts and stuff?

Thanks.

My understanding is that I need MK4 - MK2 conversion hoses. C&R do a 312mm/mk4 rears Goodridge set for the Corrado; do that's the hoses sorted.

Not quite, you can just use standard mk3/4 hoses for the front as long as they are banjo fitment. You need the conversion hoses for putting mk4 calipers on the rear.

I believe I need to use late MK3 288mm discs - correct? Also what discs are recommended?

Yep, Late mk3 discs will be fine. Depends what driving you do, I'm running standard bog standard discs and they are fine but I have heard good things from the likes of brembo and black diamond

What pads do I use? MK3 or MK4 pads? Also what make are recommended?

Either, they are both the same as I understand it

Is there anything I've missed? What about bolts and stuff?

Did you not get bolts with them? If not the standard corrado ones fit the carrier bolts and most likely the caliper ones as well

Thanks.

Hope that helps

Hope that helps

Yes it did,

Pretty much what I thought.

I'm getting the conversion hoses because they are cheap at the moment, I plan to go 312mm and Mk4 in the rear.. Might as well! :p

I'm going Brembo Discs with OE pads. Should be fine for road use.. I never ever cook the brakes anyway.

Thanks man :thumbleft:

I have to say, I have been very impressed with my 288 Brembo OE plain discs (from GSF) and MK4 GTI pads (from VW).

The pads are dusty though, but good bite at all temps.

I have to say, I have been very impressed with my 288 Brembo OE plain discs (from GSF) and MK4 GTI pads (from VW).

The pads are dusty though, but good bite at all temps.

Can you remember what you paid for the Brembo Discs? Cheapest I've found is £75!

Couldn't tell ya chap, they came with my conversion...and EBC redstuff, which have to be the most useless pads I've tried to date. 40 quid OE pads far outstrip them for stopping power.

I got my Brembo's for around 50 sheets mate!

Cheers man. GSF or elsewhere?

Couldn't tell ya chap, they came with my conversion...and EBC redstuff, which have to be the most useless pads I've tried to date. 40 quid OE pads far outstrip them for stopping power.

I've had redstuff/greenstuff before.. Never again!

You wouldn't happen to know the part number for the OE pads would you? Just called my local dealer and they are useless and listed loads of different pads.

GSF mate. It used to say on their old website that they were Brembo's, just looked on there now and it says standard or uprated, no deets on what brand they are

I've had greenstuff before, never again got OE now

I got pads for my Mk4 rears from GSF and they were Jurid - OE suppliers to VW etc. Think they cost £14 :lol:

Heartily recommend the 312s, no more of the terrifying will-it-stop moments!

GSF mate. It used to say on their old website that they were Brembo's, just looked on there now and it says standard or uprated, no deets on what brand they are

I've had greenstuff before, never again got OE now

Nice one, I'll call them tomorrow.

I got pads for my Mk4 rears from GSF and they were Jurid - OE suppliers to VW etc. Think they cost £14 :lol:

Heartily recommend the 312s, no more of the terrifying will-it-stop moments!

312's are on the list. I need something to fit under speedlines for the next month and in winter. 312mm will come in due course. Just need to find the elusive carriers from someone who isn't charging scene tax. i.e under £100 joker:

I found the jump from 280 to 288 to be quite large, but the jump from 288 to 312 was minimal. All it does is increse unsprung weight, but they do fill out 16" wheels better!

I'm excited now.. I love new brakes.. No idea why, it's just one of those parts.

Just need to choose the colour.. Black, Silver or red?

I had loads of grief with my standard brakes, fronts and rears. Doing the 288's and mk4 rears was probably the best thing i've done to the car.

Wasn't too impressed at first, but once they had been on the car a while and i'd done a few emergency stops i was much happier

Right a little update..

I have got the hoses, pads, new retainers and bleed valves on the way.

But I'm struggling to find a decent priced Brembo standard disc. GSF do not stock them any-more, they have duratec or some crap to replace the Brembo's... Same quality allegedly .. My arse, more like higher profit margins.! :bonk:

Edited by P3rks

Don't you need MK3 288mm brakes for the conversion? Are the MK4 items not 6mm inboard like the 312 brakes? Or am I getting myself confused again

Don't you need MK3 288mm brakes for the conversion? Are the MK4 items not 6mm inboard like the 312 brakes? Or am I getting myself confused again

No,

MK3 and MK4 callipers and carriers are the same. The hoses and discs are different.

If I was using MK4 discs I'd need to offset them

Just get VAG discs mate. I'd sooner go for those than chance anything unknown.

Managed to get some. I'm fridnly with my local garage and got him to do the rounds. £55+vat.. Cheapest I've found and better than nothing.

The OE pads only cost me £19 anyway, win some, you lose some.. :o

Just need to choose the colour.. Black, Silver or red?

Orange :twisted:

If you're going to Elsecar you're welcome to the rest of my tin, there's easily enough left for another 6-8 calipers...

Thanks for the offer matey.. but i'm going a nice Silver for a smart OE look :)