Pat_McCrotch

VR6 Coolant hoses obsolete

Just a heads up. The VR6 top hose and the 5 way hose at the back of the head are now obsolete. (I know this as managed to nabb the last two in UK stock) No plans to put them through Classic Parts either.

What the hell are VW doing?! :(

Very worrying. Maybe my joke about swapping the Corrado for a Calibra isn't such a bad idea after all :(

Duct tape will solve the problem :D

Yes it will come in handy to kidnap the head of VW and demand they support the best car VW ever made.

Oh man! :( Thanks for letting us know. Do Samco sell single hoses?

Yea they do, top hose from merlin Motorsport is £63 + VAT and delivery! Not cheap I'm afraid :(

Yea they do, top hose from merlin Motorsport is £63 + VAT and delivery! Not cheap I'm afraid :(

That's cheaper then vw, when I enquired about one a couple years ago it was something like £110. The parts guy even had a chuckle!

That really is not good news at all... if any of mine pop I think a full set from the group buy will be the only option :(

Thanks for the heads up Neil.

It's sad that I had to buy Corrado to understand the true meaning of the word "obsolete" :(

You always have the option of off the shelf elbows, splitters, reducers and joiners from people like sfs hoses, even if you cant get direct aftermarket replacements.

davidwort, that's exactly what I was about to say. Okay they would not be original, but at least you can keep the car on the road and use it.

That's true. But it's just a further sign that VW don't want to help their customers keep historic cars running. I can understand items of trim and even panels becoming obsolete but it's a different matter to obsolete essential running parts. So far nearly all of my cars have been holds and scirrocos. But I'm not so sure I would buy another golf simply because it worried me that they have no commitment.t to supporting older cars. The situation is vastly different with BMW which seems quite appealing right now.

That's true. But it's just a further sign that VW don't want to help their customers keep historic cars running. I can understand items of trim and even panels becoming obsolete but it's a different matter to obsolete essential running parts. So far nearly all of my cars have been holds and scirrocos. But I'm not so sure I would buy another golf simply because it worried me that they have no commitment.t to supporting older cars. The situation is vastly different with BMW which seems quite appealing right now.

I've got through the same dilemma in my mind many times. The irony is that VW dealerships quite eagerly sought Scirocco's and Corrado's to stick in dealerships to promote the new Scirocco when it was launched. It's no thanks to VW that many of these cars are on the road with service departments you wouldn't DREAM of taking your car into, and a ever shrinking spares catalogue. VW are so short sighted sometimes!

I do think Classic Parts is a step in the right direction though - about bloody time.

Classic parts will make these... just wait for it!

Use a t-fitting, some hose and the problems solved, for now.

what im trying to say is, if they samco last forever, is there really a problem. sure id rather the original OEM pipes still be available, especially for those who like standard. But if the samcos are available and they last years, its a good alternative.

Edited by Critical_Mass

what im trying to say is, if they samco last forever, is there really a problem. sure id rather the original OEM pipes still be available, especially for those who like standard. But if the samcos are available and they last years, its a good alternative.

Although not standard Samco and now Roose make standard 'look' hose kits for the VR6 and can probably accomadate the 16v and 8v brigade from the hose kits of Golfs etc.

Exactly why I set up the group buy from Roose - the auto VR6 top hose is still available (at £160+VAT I can't see them flying off the shelves!) but the lower hoses are all obsolete.

Lifetime warranty on Roose ones ;) Their 'OE' black ones look very close to the originals.

Stone

Or do what I've done, when my corrado reached 86k miles its now 87k miles swap the originals out for black SAMCOs keep the originals in the loft for a 10years from now revertsion to OEM lol

And no they are not for sale ;-)

Edited by huggy

Or do what I've done, when my corrado reached 86k miles its now 87k miles swap the originals out for black SAMCOs keep the originals in the loft for a 10years from now revertsion to OEM lol

And no they are not for sale ;-)

And then find they have perished with age.

Yep, VW appear have jumped onto the "new model every year" bandwagon. VW launching a new GTI used be quite an event. But not any more. They just quietly fade into the sea of Astras and Focuses almost the day after launch now. Yawn, yawn.

I think the TG episode where they saw what cars they could buy for £7K demonstrated what's wrong with the car industry today. That CL600 Clarkson bought....for £7K. Madness. A car for life if looked after. Why would anyone pay £150K for the current model when that one is still an excellent car?!? What is it with people's obsessions with new cars every year? There just isn't enough space on the roads to accomodate the ever increasing numbers of stupid soft roaders you can't see over.

They were obselete in my mind when they tried charging over £60 for one hose.

Replaced them all with samcos instead. I think sometimes trying to be OEM for the sake of having original parts is a bit anal when you over pay and can get better aftermarket parts for cheaper. I wouldn't worry about original hoses on the off chance that in 10yrs time someone is going to pay extra for a corrado because it has original VW hoses

Sometimes wish i hadn't bought such an original corrado as i've ended up having to improve everything anyway