vwnutter

Neewbie

Hi all I hope everyone is well,

so im hoping to pick up my first Rado on Friday night. its a 2.0 16v. been into VW since i first passed my tst at 17. i started out with a scirocco storm which i had for 4 years but sadly it died.

i moved onto a mk2 gti 8v for a while but sold it to move on to an 8v mk3 then moved on to a mk3 vr6 which i loved. the vr6 was sadly hit 3 days after returning from the Nurburgringlast year and have since been pondering the next purchase.

any advise much appreciated on the rado as It is something new to me.

any pointers welcome.

thanks

Hello and welcome, have a look here (http://wiki.the-corrado.net/the_corrado_buying_guide_checklist.html) for some good buying information.

Main things to check are sunroof operational in tilt and slide, check there are no scratches on the paint either as thats a sign the sunroof is knackered (tries to tilt as its sliding), check the spoiler comes up at 45 (i forget what speed it is, its been too long without my rado) and goes down at 10mph and that the button underneath the dash works. Make sure the heater controls work on all speeds and on all directions.

Check all the fog lights and indicators at the front because they are now obselete and expensive to buy second hand!

Other than that have a good read through the buyers guide and good luck!

so a quick update, i didnt pick up the 16v yesterday as it was sold 5 mins before I arrived. on the plus side i have found and secured a corrado vr6. hopefully picking this up on friday from sheffield.

the owner mentioned there was a problem with a clip popping out from behind the drivers side door handle? anybody shed any light on this? what sort of issue could it be?

thanks

no idea about the clip issue, but wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you a happy drive home in your VR :)

Thanks Scarlet_vr6,l I think I found the issue with the door handle. a quick ebay bargain on route to me now should remedy the problem. looking forward to the drive back but a little anxious at the same time. its a long first drive for the old girl:D

thanks scarlet_vr6, hoping to have fixed the clip issue with a cheeky ebay buy. let you know how we got on, on the drive back to London. its going to be a long first drive for the old girl. hoping all goes well

235 miles and now back in london. Great drive back enjoyed every moment of it. few bits to sort out but hopefully nothing to major.

A long distance drive back from buying a car is definitely fun and a memorable event. Welcome.

Congrats dude. Looks lovely . I got my first corrado vr about 6 months ago and effin love it. Hope it all goes well for ya

Ben

Cheers Ben, she needs a few bits sorting out but I'm hoping she's here for the long term so slowly but surely she will get the TLC she needs and deserves. On the down side I think she needs a new power steering pump :-( she's booked in to my vw garage next week woooooop!!

Cheers Ben, she needs a few bits sorting out but I'm hoping she's here for the long term so slowly but surely she will get the TLC she needs and deserves. On the down side I think she needs a new power steering pump :-( she's booked in to my vw garage next week woooooop!!

Yea same over here. I've sorted most of the problems out now just need to get it in for an mot. Hopefully no suprises! Lol

Is it aqua blue? Got any more pics?

Ben

Yes I'm pretty sure it's aqua blue but will confirm. Stripped front end off today and sorted a small water leak. Still lots to do but mainly spent the day sorti g the garage out for her. Will get more pics soon.

so i discovered a leak from the thermostat housing, also in need of a new power steering pump and will be replacing the belt and tensioner. this has already been done but it looks like the tensioner is lose?

other than that she seems to be happy. will need to givve the old girl a good clean soon. weekend weather was pretty grim to be honest so didnt get a chance.

I just noticed you're in Morden. I used to live there when I was a kid, very near Morden Park, back in 1970 to 1981. I'm back in Surrey again now and just around the corner to you (KT10 post code).

I replaced my aux belt a few weeks ago and it was really simple. I've not done the tensioner but I don't think it's a lot more effort; just a few bolts to loosen. There's a guide here (you don't need to take off the wheel lining even though it says you do):

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/vr6_belt_tensioner_pulley_repair.html

I'm no mechanic (changing the belt is the only mechanical thing I've done on the Corrado). But if you need a hand then give me a shout.

Edited by Portent

cheers mate, appreciate it. this time though she will be going down to my mates garage. he has a ramp so may make life a little easier.

so where abouts are you based? yours looks lovely.

Thanks. It looks better in the pics than in real life :)

Ramp not needed for belt and tensioner but definitely useful for the pump and thrmostat housing. You'll need a long M8 bolt to loosen the belt tension.

I'm in Claygate, between Esher and Kingston-upon-Thames right by the A3. About 20 mins away from Morden. Glad to see another Corrado move into the area.

oh nice one not far at all, ill have to keep a look out, its crazy i drove back from sheffield and i saw one other rado on the road in over 200 miles!!

it does make it a bit sweeter to know that they are fairly rare now. also makes the cost of repairs / running them a little bit easier to digest :thumbleft:

Exactly. It's a pain when trying to get parts (the dealer knows me very well now even though the answer is ususally "I'm afraid it's obsolete Sir"). But I love the fact they are so rare now. That's one of the nicer parts. There are a few around here though.

This is happening at the end of May and isn't too far from you either:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?59944-National-Day-2012-Sunday-20-May-Brooklands

There are currently 29 people registered for it and (if the weather is good) then you'll get to park your car on the Brroklands bank :)

Edited by Portent