Jim Bowen

4no Bolts that hold steering rack to subframe

Am having trouble getting them out of subframe, i didn't want to whack them with a hammer and damage them if they aren't meant to come out, but am sure they should

2012-04-07172825.jpg

2012-04-07172853.jpg

^^^a nice coating of oil on the subframe :!

I think they are designed to stay in even if the nuts come loose, so that it keeps the rack in its rough position so you dont lose steering.......... :thumbleft:

Buy them from vw, they have a spline type bit on the end so not a normal bolt, if you get them from vw you'll not need to worry about the length of them

easypops - any idea on the part number? I've looked through the local dealer catalog and cannot find any reference to them, although they have no problem selling me the entire subframe, bolts included :-)

Thanks... Bryan

I don't mate I'm afraid, although I hope they are available as they will be on my (long) list of nuts/bolts I hope to buy for my underside refurb

Part number is N90184501, they should be still available from dealer. They are splined as easypops says.

Many thanks jscVR6. It appears they are not in the US catalog any longer (that my local dealer has), just the Euro one (1st VW has them here in the states).

And I didn't even realize they were splined as mine turn quite easily from the bottom side (and are thus rather loose).

Bryan