Sign in to follow this  
Blimey

VR6...

Had my first taste of a VR6 today, was in a Golf but can't have everything eh? :lol:

All I can say is :shock: !! It was quick, my 16v C has a grin factor but the VR6 is seriously fun to drive... anyone wanna px a 16v for a VR6 C? I really really want one..

ohh bugger I've messed me pants again..DOH!

He he, you think Golf VR6's are quick, try a Corrado VR6! Especially one with VibraTechnics engine mounts :D

Sell your valver and get one, you know it makes sense and you won't look back.

Kev

94 VR6

October this year is VR6 month... once my insurance goes down!!

So a VR6 C is quicker than the Golf then eh... Oh it just gets better! :lol:

So a VR6 C is quicker than the Golf then eh... Oh it just gets better!

Oh yeah, Golf 2.8, Corrado 2.9. Something like 20bhp difference. :)

Just wait till you get a VR6 and crack an induction kit on there instead of the standard OE filter.. to go with the performance you get a superb roar every time you put your foot down. Loud enough to make children cry and old people fall over :)

They handle a lot better too, a LOT better.

Kev

94 VR6

Its a totally different car - I've had a couple of run in's with a Golf VR6 as my mate has one *:) LOL... and everytime I run rings round it and go past him like he is stood still! :lol: :lol:

Also the chassis is much better than the Golf due to the rear steering effect...

Also the chassis is much better than the Golf due to the rear steering effect...

please elaborate :?

Apparently Corrados use a Passat rear axle with special bushes that allow a certain degree of passive rear wheel steering. I'm not sure but I think this was deleted on late models and replaced with a MK3 'plus' rear axle. I asked Vince at stealth about the rear bushes and he reckons they're just standard MK3 items, on the VR6 at least.

I'm not overly sure but they handle really well regardless.

Kev

94 VR6

i think its only one or two hundred pounds more.. but if you use rice-boy mentality... it looks a lot cooler so its much, much quicker! :lol:

Although the corrado 2.9 VR6 produces more BHP - isnt it alot heavier than the Golf?

A common myth.... there is very little if anything in it as the Corrado is based on the same chassis...

From the VW manual:-

Unladen Weight * (ready for road)

16V 100KW - 1175Kg

G60 118KW - 1155Kg

VR6 140KW - 1210Kg

* These figures are for the basic model. Other model versions and optional extras - air-con, sliding roof, towing brackets etc increases unladen weight.

If my memory serves me right, a MK2 Golf 16V weighs just under 1100Kg.

Also from the same source, max speeds and 0-100Kmh times:-

16V (100KW) 210Kmh Vmax - 0-100kmh - 9.3 seconds

G60 (118KW) 225Kmh Vmax - 0-100Kmh - 8.5 seconds (8.3 for Non cat engine)

VR6 (140KW) 235Kmh Vmax - 0-100Kmh - 6.9 seconds

Kev

94 Vr6

So a VR6 C is quicker than the Golf then eh... Oh it just gets better!

Oh yeah, Golf 2.8, Corrado 2.9. Something like 20bhp difference. :)

mmmm, a 'friend' cant pull away in his raddo vr and both cars were on standard suspension setup......

there are differences on paper with standard setups definately, but ...

there is also a driver element here me thinks....... :twisted:

Amy

Well If the Corrado cant pull away I suggest he plugs in VAGCOM and finds out what is wrong....

I can pull away from my mates immaculate VR6 Golf quite easy from 50mph +..... and mine is bog standard *:)

If the Golf in question is a Highline then it's not far off the Corrado's output, so would be evenly matched. Non highline Golfs don't pose much of a threat to Corrado VRs. If the Corrado's cam position sensor is dead, it'll be 30hp down.

Kev

94 VR6

Interesting thing there, my Vento VR6 weighs in slightly more than the Corrado VR6, so methinks might just about be able to go faster in the Corrado :lol: 8)

The Golf Highline has the OBD2 engine (slightly improved version of the origional 2.8VR) and uses and electronic throttle body and a different ECU so push out 190ish bhp standard (which I can confirm p!sses you C drivers off immensely! :mad: ).

Why should it piss us off? :evil: :?

Very early 2.9 Corrado VR6 197bhp standard

(which I can confirm p!sses you C drivers off immensely! ).

Apparently Corrados use a Passat rear axle with special bushes that allow a certain degree of passive rear wheel steering. I'm not sure but I think this was deleted on late models and replaced with a MK3 'plus' rear axle. I asked Vince at stealth about the rear bushes and he reckons they're just standard MK3 items, on the VR6 at least.

I'm not overly sure but they handle really well regardless.

Kev

94 VR6

The official VAG Corrado Storm VR6 brochure from 1995 goes on about the rear-wheel steering affect as a "Passive Safety" feature. Specifically it says in the spec sheets:

"Rear Axle: Torsion beam trailing arm with track-correcting bearings and anti roll bar. Plus Axle"

So it's definitely a 'Plus' Axle but is the steering effect supposed to be in the bearings????

The Golf Highline has the OBD2 engine (slightly improved version of the origional 2.8VR) and uses and electronic throttle body and a different ECU so push out 190ish bhp standard (which I can confirm p!sses you C drivers off immensely! :mad: ).

Engine is the same - OBD2 just applies to new ECU and diags socket - it is actually no better than the original OBD1... yes is has electronic body... but 190bhp is a bit optimistic...... Ive seen a few of these rollers and not one hit more than 180bhp.... the torque figures dont match the 2.9 either......

OBD2 just applies to new ECU and diags socket .

I think ive got the new style socket on my vr6, looks a bit like a scart plug under the gearlever. Does this mean its obd2 or just the connector?