Sign in to follow this  
VR6

Engine mounts

Considering uprating the engine mounts on my VR for possibly some from Turn2.

Not a particularly must-do job but I'd like to try and eliminate some of the engine movement/'snatch' (snigger) when gear changing so........

What are the best one(s) to replace?

How easy DIY is it?

Any better mounts to consider above the Turn2 ones?

Cheers

Read my thread in the general section. Don't bother with the turn2 front mount although you can have mine if you want it. I have used a turn2 gearbox mount (rubber) and a Vibratechnics front mount. These two totally eliminate engine slop, introduce NO vibration and improve handling, gearchange and general feel of the car. I really can't recommend this combination enough.

You know when you step off the gas and you get a shunt as the engine falls back down on to it's mount? That is now totally gone and you can rev up and come off the gas in a low gear without the usual shunting.

Another thing to bear in mind is the risk of the standard bottom front mount collapsing and allowing the engine to hit the bonnet. This is impossible with the turn2 and VT mounts. I just didn't want that happening but the other benefits justify the cost anyway.

Vince charged me £95 for the VT front and the turn2 gearbox mount was shipped in at around £20.

Cheers

Kev

Oh, as for DIY. The turn2 front lower mount is a 10 minute job. The VT one is harder work as it does away with two mounts and uses just the one. You would need to jack the engine up. Tricky. Vince did my mounts whilst doing the clutch, so was a lot easier.

Kev

hey there. I helped a friend install the Turn2 full polly setup into his VR6 corrado and they seem to be a very good upgrade for his car. we installed them on the front and rear motor mounts and then installed the G60 tranny mount (what turn2 and pottermans http://www.parts4vw.com calls an upgrade for the Mk3 VR and Corrado VR6)

We have not yet been able to run the car with them but I think he'll like the performance as his old mounts has 170K miles on them. His motor is currently at the machine shop and it might end up 3.1L :mad:

The grade of poly turn2 use is too stiff in my opinion and it does introduce vibration into the cabin, contrary to their website information. The most noticeable vibration occurs at 4,500 rpm but it isn't unbearable. Starting the engine gives a noticeable jolt too when the engine fires. I've had a radiator fracture because of this in the past. No for me, the Vibratechnics mount is perfect and much better than the turn2 ones imo.

Kev

94 VR6

I've got the Vibra-tec mounts in my car and I have only 2 slow miles on them and I wasn't fully impressed as they have a good amount of vibrations when at idle. But I've been told that the vibrations go away at speed so I'm hoping they were right. I didn't have the G60 installed when I tested the setup so I can't fully comprehend what they were like. I will say this they were expensive

Thanks for the replies guys.

Kev - so would you recommend going for totally Vibra-tec mounts or do think the mixture (like you run) of gearbox Turn2 and VT front mount is a good route to go?

Best place to order VT mounts??

The turn2 poly mounts also put vibration into the car at idle but unlike the VT mount, it doesn't fully go away when driving. At the end of the day, if you're going to rip out the VAG soft rubber and replace it with an uprated material, you have to accept a sacrifice in refinement and in my experience, the VT mount offers the best compromise. If you're happy to pootle along at moderate speeds, the stock mounts suffice but if you want the engine to stay still when cornering hard and upchanging to 3rd from 2nd flat out without crunching, then either the turn2 or VT mount is the way to go.

VR6 - I'm happy with the combination of the turn2 box mount and VT front but if you go fully VT, any vibrations should cancel eachother out - in theory!

Stealth can supply you with the VT mounts.

Might be worth trying my car before taking the plunge as VT mounts are expensive as G60ING pointed out.

Cheers

Kev

n.o.s?

Elaborate!

Click here to see what VF-engineering say about thier front mount. It is designed to take the power & abuse it will get from having a supercharger twisting & pulling at it, so presumably will operate well on a std motor.

Again if a few wanted them, including me as mine have 144,000miles on them :-(, i'd hope to get a good deal on them!

Chris

Hmm, didnt realise they were that much, a full set from Turn 2 is $189. Keep me updated on what it will be with any possible discount though Chris.

Kev, Turn 2 do Sports and Race hardness mounts, which ones is it you bought?

That VF mount is a rear one and poly, so will be quite harsh. The front one is top priority as it's the only that causes major problems if it goes and is also why the engine rocks back so violently.

Joe, I bought the regular front lower (blue poly) and a heavy duty rubber gearbox mount. Don't know if they're sports or race as it wasn't specified when I bought them. I ditched the front one in favour of a Vibratechnics one, which is miles better.

Kev

Kev,

I see what you say but the mount is described as "VF-Engineering (formerly Z-Eng) MK3 VR6 GTI/2.0/Corrado VR6 front engine mount.

Price: US$ 179.00" I copied & pasted directly from the site just now and in further paragraphs it does explain about a gearbox mount but this is described as a front mount as you can see!! a little confusion here and there.

n.o.s?

Elaborate!

Click here to see what VF-engineering say about thier front mount. It is designed to take the power & abuse it will get from having a supercharger twisting & pulling at it, so presumably will operate well on a std motor.

Again if a few wanted them, including me as mine have 144,000miles on them :-(, i'd hope to get a good deal on them!

Chris

n.o.s Is whats on yours chris ! ive got green corrado vr6 at bishop ect ! :p

Maybe just a problem with a Shrick-equipped VR6 with lots of miles, but:

The rear engine mount compresses over time and will cause failure of the front mount even if it's a nice chunky VT item.

For the anoraks amongst you, the standard rear VR6 mount shares the shock-absorbing components as the (less than wonderful) front mount...

I've got to ask Mike, when do you get time to drive (and fix) 3 C's??

Most people think they have it bad having to fix one (or two) door-handles!!

I've spent the wonga (or bought a car where someone else did) so that the known problems are less likely to happen. I've also done all the preventive bits and bobs.

That said, the sunroof on the Black VR6 is proving to be educational...

Mike.. there is an edit button which allows you to edit posts you just made :)

I've edited the typo for you.

Have to say Mike, its hard not to be envious. Having 3 C's parked up out the front of the house would be excellent :)

I'll have to settle for a Saxo for now though :|