Jon_vr6

Usb port in corrado

Ive just installed my new Alpine headuit that comes with a usb connector on the back with a long wire. I want to install a port in the passenger side undertray so i can just connect an ipod, memory stick etc i want to make it look stock.

I tried this method on vw vortex but im stuck as to how to attach the female usb connector to the undertray (as he has installed it into a switch blank) i think if i were to glue it in place then it would become unstuck in no time http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3858584-Installed-Pioneer-Premier-P600UB-w-USB-port-in-my-B5-Passat

Or do i get a computer usb plate cut it down and secure it to the undertray that way

http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/usb-pc-back-plate-internal-to-external-adaptor-cable-26390758.htm?from=googleshop_uk

Any ideas, or even better anyone done something similar and could point me in the right direction

Many thanks

Jon

The one one vortex looks a bit amateur, the metal tabs on the end have just been bent around the outer edge of the switch blank, but it kinda looks the only real way to do it. You may have to go the same route, but if you put some sort of cover over it, that would pass as OE I think, and you wouldn't be able to tell too much with the usb actually attached.

I just use an iPod lead to the centre cubby hole, was originally drivers side shelf for stealth.

What would be the advantage of having a port over a lead?

it would look tidier. I ahve two usb ports in mine - one is for the parrot handsfree and the other for the HU. Both are as leads sitting in the centre cubby hole but i'd like to have a cleaner solution too. Must be some way of linking up a computer USB port into a black dash point or elsewhere? Need some creative ideas input!!

Yeah it would look tidier fellas, im going for the computer usb route as the bolts on the front screw into and hold the usb port in place, i can then make a hole for the usb and two small screw holes paint the screws black and then its held in properly

---------- Post added at 8:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:09 PM ----------

Something like this

http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/USB2-PM-3M.jpg

Yeah it would look tidier fellas, im going for the computer usb route as the bolts on the front screw into and hold the usb port in place, i can then make a hole for the usb and two small screw holes paint the screws black and then its held in properly

---------- Post added at 8:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:09 PM ----------

Something like this

http://www.kenable.co.uk/images/USB2-PM-3M.jpg

That will look good. :thumbleft: Post a pic up when its all fitted.

I've run my usb cable from the head unit to the glovebox (removing the glovebox light). This way there is no need to remove my ipod and no one can see it either.

Mine's in the under-dash tray on the driver's side. Made a hole in the top of it and pushed the leads through. Ipod is hidden from sight down there.

No pics Jon? :)

To anyone who has done this please share your ideas as I'm currently installing a new stereo with usb inputs

Just made a small enough hole so the usb connector could be accessed and two holes either side to screw it into the undertray.

yeah im wanting stealth too :D head unit has 2 USB so ill use one for a memory stick with music on and the other for charging stuff

yeah im wanting stealth too :D head unit has 2 USB so ill use one for a memory stick with music on and the other for charging stuff

Whats the new toy Vag hag.

At the time i just wanted to have use of the ipod in the car so a quick fix was the best action. The above looks good though.