st4stokie

VR6 transplant Help wanted....need to get on the road.

Hi hope someone can help me here. Ive got an Lreg 2.0ltr 16v with a vr6 transplant fitted. It was running fine until i went take it for mot and the temp gauge went right up. I noticed that the bottom rad hose was cold and the top was hot so changed the thermostat and at the same time fitted a genuine vr6 rad as it was running with the standard 16v item. The coolant is flowing ok and the both the hoses get warm now too. But the temp gauge still goes right up to max. I noticed the other day that it does this when I just turn the ignition on with out starting the engine so have unplugged the yellow sensor and the temp gauge drops. Could this be an earthing problem?? If so does anyone know where the earth problem would be?? I fitted a new battery the night before taking the car for mot dont know if that makes a difference, just want get it running so I can get it motd and on the road. Any info would be appreciated Thanks

Hi mate, does sound like an earth problem, or the yellow temp sendor is knackered!

if you plug VAG-COM into your diagnostics port, you can pull the actual reading from the ECU with regards to temperature and for peace of mind.

Probably more than likely your temp sensor if everything has worked ok in the past though!

Doesnt sound like the car is actually over heating then - this shouldnt affect the MOT at all. Change the yellow temp sensor (which the new one will be black). Id def change the yellow sender first.

Edited by Critical_Mass

You can check this sensor, resistance will start off high at cold temperatures and decrease as temperature warms up. if this checks out, earth the wiring and watch the gauge go up :)