borachris

Recommend me an alarm/ immobiliser

As title guys, going to start rewiring my corrado soon as when I took the dash out to swap it for a black one it was a mess and as I'm doing the engine side for my tdi conversion I figured it would be good to do it all!

The old sigma alarm/immo was very temperamental and I discovered it was only wired into the ignition so not really very secure either!

So what would you guys recommend? Don't need anything fancy, just a good secure and reliable system!

Cheers :)

Clifford alarms, not the cheapest one but very good. You can get second hand from ebay for under 100 quid if you patient.

Clifford alarms, not the cheapest one but very good. You can get second hand from ebay for under 100 quid if you patient.

Not sure how comfortable I'd be with a second hand one, how would I know if they had kept a spare key fob and were going to visit me and see if I had a car worth knicking or not!

Also my old mk2 had a clifford 650 iirc and it was forever going wrong, could have just been poor installation I suppose!

my Avital alarm doesn't give me many problems so can't complain - i think the quality of an alarm system is alot to do with how well it's wired in

strange as i had sigma m100 alarm that was in my old corrado for over 4 years and never ever had a problem with it, but an alarm is only as good as the person who fits it.

i also have a sigma m100 alarm for sale.

I got an Autowatch 457RLi fitted in 2009. Was about £400 installed, so cheaper than the cliffords. But had full closure and hidden deactivation button. Never had a clifford but id say the autowatch is a damn good alarm.

actually thinking about it i have one or two critisism about the avital:

- the 'anti-tamper' box is a strong steel box but was held together with tie wraps!! :bonk:

- it seems to think the doors have been left open if you turn off the turn-on-light-when-door-opens-thing?

Edited by dingo

Cheers guys I'll have a research about the ones you've mentioned, only thing I'd like feature wise is remote locking as I've got some passat rear handles to fit.

I agree about the alarm only being as good as the fitter too, like most things lol

Haha the metal box was held together with electrical tape on mine!

Cheers guys I'll have a research about the ones you've mentioned, only thing I'd like feature wise is remote locking as I've got some passat rear handles to fit.

I agree about the alarm only being as good as the fitter too, like most things lol

Haha the metal box was held together with electrical tape on mine!

de-locking the doors using passat rears is eaaaasy - but make sure you get mechs the passat mechs (I think i remember dremelling out the child locks too)

de-locking the doors using passat rears is eaaaasy - but make sure you get mechs the passat mechs (I think i remember dremelling out the child locks too)

I got them from a guy who had them on a corrado so hopefully everything is there, I know the latches that are visible on the side of the door are there anyway!

did he provide you with the latches that he was using? if so they'll probably fit just fine

another little tip - the screw that holds the driver's door handle on is sometimes a left-hand thread! nearly snapped mine off before realising :clap:

did he provide you with the latches that he was using? if so they'll probably fit just fine

another little tip - the screw that holds the driver's door handle on is sometimes a left-hand thread! nearly snapped mine off before realising :clap:

Yes he did, going to see if they come apart and give them a clean/grease before fitting, the more I read about rados the more I realise preventive maintenance is important!

Thanks for the tip, I definetly would have snapped those lol

Toad and Cobra (Had both) are good and if you get them fitted they are Thatcham approved.

Cost me about £400 for my corrado and with the install certificate insurance companies like them.

I wouldn't use anything other than toad, my mates have had cliffords and its just far too complicated and ends up cocking up soo easily. Had a toad fitted to my daily for about 5 years and it has never once gone wrong, simple to use, fit and forget

Many people have had their alarm fitted by "trim wizard" his name is Andy Bryant iirc he fitted a cobra to my car which is cat 1 and did a top job, i wouldn't have thought anyone would want to skimp on security and if you get what you pay for, why not just go for the best fitter you can ?

As per the above posts mate, i've had both Toad & Cobra in my Rado's and they've both been great....had a Clifford 650 and it was nothing but hasstle! Would'nt ever have a Clifford again!!!

Yeah I think after the issues I had with the clifford in my mk2 I wouldn't want to risk another one!

Toad seems to be a popular choice so I'm going to have a read up about them and see what's available.

I'll look into trim wizard too :)