Fanjita

What are 2.9 engines going for at the moment?

Hi all,

Just gauging the rough value of my engine, I'm converting to an R32 engine so all the old gubbins will be up for sale. It's around 140k on the engine, and a few days ago I took some videos of it to aid the sale. It fires and runs absolutely fine, and pulls like a Vr6 should. It's got a receipt that came with the car, showing a head rebuild by stealth in 2006, the only issue being this was on a completely different car and no written proof of the swap into my car.

Engine taps slightly but it is absolutely fine and has done for as long as I can remember. Always used with care, no high revving on cold oil and no redlining. Would be good as a swap for a dead engine, or to refresh and use as a overhaul. Only going R32 for the added valves and performance, would have kept my engine otherwise but probably rebuilt it within the year.

I'm thinking £300 including gearbox, is this a fair price?

Offers welcome, I will move this to a fs thread just after I've really checked on people's thoughts!

Cheers,

James

I paid £200 for a 2.9 before without box, and £100 for a box, so think £300 with box is reasonable. I'd be interested in it as a spare if you were nearer!

Seems fair.

What would it come with? All ancillaries, loom ecu etc?

A full conversion with ECU, loom, ancilaires, hoses etc etc, basically everything engine related should see around £400-£500 as they are good for conversion into MK2's etc.

Thanks guys!

Yeah shame Jamie I'd help with the miles a little but meeting halfway for you would still be a 3+ hour drive one way!

Unfortunately I won't have all those items, im kicking myself about it though! The vr6 loom is cannibalised to make a working loom for the r32! I'll have the ecu for sale too but hoses I reuse also.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't shift a 2.8 24V for even £100, so I dumped it. If you can get anything worthwhile for the 2.9, bite someone's arm off!

Trouble is, people can't be arsed to collect anything remotely heavy anymore. Everybody expects everything to be delivered these days, at our expense.

Hm. I do quite like the thought of getting a good, used 2.9 engine and subjecting it to a full rebuild out of the car some day... only problem is storing the fecker! :(

I couldn't shift a 2.8 24V for even £100, so I dumped it. If you can get anything worthwhile for the 2.9, bite someone's arm off!

thats a shame, especially after you'd sorted it all out. i was planning to have taken this from you, but got sidetracked with the OBD2 stuff, which is also still waiting to be fitted...knowing me, your engine would also have just sat in my garage collecting dust :( But i agree with your comment on heavy items