Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

WHATS THE BEST ENGINE OIL VR6

HELLO PEEPS

whats the best engine oil for a VR6 ?????

whats the best brand and vis????

is comma any good?? i will need to change the oil then im gonna do it again in 2 weeks..

ill tell you now that everybody will say quantum synta oil,but as long as you get quality oil you should be ok,vw always used shell helix in my vr

so why dont some vw garages use quantum synta oil when doing services??when my car was serviced in a number of vw dealers they used shell helix

ill tell you now that everybody will say quantum synta oil,but as long as you get quality oil you should be ok,vw always used shell helix in my vr

Just like you always make a point of you using Shell Helix :roll:

Did it ever cross your mind that we recommend Quantum Silver because it's actually good stuff and very good value?

so why dont some vw garages use quantum synta oil when doing services??when my car was serviced in a number of vw dealers they used shell helix

Why not ring them and ask?

i always use quatum synta, the silver bottle.

nice and cheap from GSF and keeps the engine running nice,

i ve tried magnatec and mobile 1 but from my experience it make the engine quite tappy, perhaps because there very thin :?

i use shell helix because thats what vw actually put in my car when it was in for sevicing,no where in the vw corrado handbook does it say to use quantum synta oil..just because vw sell it doesnt mean its the best oil for your car,you can actually get cheaper oil from unipart with better specs than quantum synta

on my service schedule from the dealership the official VW service sheet had a box to be ticked to say that it had been serviced with Quantum oil.

I would highly recommend the silver!

cheers for all that guys!!

i looked at the last vw service n they used that shell stuff...... might try the silver stuff though.....

any1 ever used ZX1 in there engine with the oil??

i dont know if its any good for my corrado vr6 might even be bad for it? but i put it in my old golf mk3 gti n 6 months later i took it for its MOT it past everything sweet even emmisions and then theguy looked at the dip stick THE CAR WAS BONE DRY not drop of oil...... donno if its any good for my vr6 but i recon thats what kept my gti from working?

i used that zx1 stuff in my old 16v,didnt do that any harm and it went like stink,dont you find it weird that they use shell when servicing and not quantum synta,just looked back at the service records and shell has always been used

1) Servicing forum for this......

2) Search for VR6 AND oil. Plenty of threads already.

is every1 talking about SHELL like the petrol stations? like in the yellow bottle??

ill use da silva stuff i think, gotta do it twice to n hope that tappet noise goes away!!

MAYBE VW AVE GOT A DEAL WITH SHELL???? YOU GIVE US OIL WE GIVE CARS THAT EAT ALOT OF GAS??

called up gsf asked the price for da silver oil told me £10 plus vat NOT BAD!!

also heard i should only use propa vw oil filter?? is this very vital??

Yep Shell as in the fuel. There's yellow, blue and Grey helixes. Grey being the fully synth, blue semi synth and yellow is mineral oil.

They're good oils. Just use what ever you fancy but steer clear of really thin stuff as the VR will drink it.

Yes definitely use a VW filter, part no - 021 115 561A.

K

i think you'll find its not VW that use shell.............more like the VW franchise that use it.......my local dealer buys in esso in bulk and uses that unless u specify synta

I always use silver synta too. never had a problem with it, and I got 25 litres for £30 at inters. lastest me for years that did.

I tried mobil 1 in my old 2.8/ it rattled it's t1ts off. Ionly left it in a week then I couldn't bear it anymore, it sounded painful, and was leaking out all over the place too. so I dumped the lot and used a decent 10w-40.

about 2 weeks later the cam chain tensioner failed and the rear cam jumped 2 teeth out and bent 3 valves....mint. :mad:

Yes definitely use a VW filter, part no - 021 115 561A.

K

VW changed the design of the VR6 oil filter and housing after the Corrado had ceased production, so if yours has had to be replaced for whatever reason since then you will have the later style housing & filter, which typically are incompatible with the original type... just a point to watch out for :-) ;-)

What viscosity M1 did you use Phat? Not that 0/40W s***?

how did you guess....I think the exact grade was more like WD40 though.... :lol:

I didn't know any better at the time....

oh well, at least I learned how to strip a VR6 engine!

Yeah, what a way to lose an engine :?

You may aswell rub margarine on the bores for all the good 0/40W is in a VR6!