carrots

strut top bearings

i am going to be changing my strut top mounts soon as one of mine makes a clicking sound.has anyone put any grease on the bearing when they fitted theres ,i didnt bother with the last pair

no,bearings are not sealed but you wil have a difficult time getting grease in the bearings.the bearings and mounts on mine are gone too.front end feels loose under hard barking and turning into corners.After 1 and half years of cobbled stone roads where i live in germany they do take quite a bit of punishment so not really surprised mine are gone. Is it me or is quality dropping rapidly?

If you upgrade to VR6 top mounts, you can take those bearings apart and put some decent grease in them. VW put some white crap in them and not very much either. I put Silkolene synthetic grease in mine, which seems to extend the life of them somewhat.

think i will stick to standard strut tops something will go wrong if i tried to fit vr6 i bet lol.been told by vw they dont make 16v strut tops anymore.couldnt belive it

think i will have to get som ebay tops then

what so you can do the job again in a few months, just spend the extra and fit some genuine ones.

Genuine Ones are about £8 each from VW.

£6.70+vat each to be precise. Rang up last week.

is that just the bearing tho,you cant change the bearing on the early strut tops can you and vw in chester reckon vw dont make the strut tops anymore

is that just the bearing tho,you cant change the bearing on the early strut tops can you and vw in chester reckon vw dont make the strut tops anymore

Yeah, just the bearing for the VR6 type topmounts. the earlier style mount is obsolete and the bearing is integral so can't be changed..