Swompy

Car detailing Gloucestershire. First car done

Thinking of doing a bit of detailing on the side to keep me out of trouble

Mainly in the Gloucestershire area but can do further if petrol costs covered. Would be done on my days off work so would need to arrange something in advance if interested.

What can I do? depending on what you want I can do all of the following or any combination you like.

1. Wash and dry. Using the 2 bucket method, lambs wool mitt and waffle weave drying towel. first a light hose down (so not to embed dirt particles) then when rinsing off will use a pressure washer.

1a. Wheels washed with AG wheel cleaner, wheels can also be clay bared, and waxed if required and tyres dressed

2. Clay, with meguiars clay bar and AG quick detailer, followed by another wash.

3. Polish. Either by hand using AG super resin polish or by DA polisher** using meguiars polishing pads and paste.

4. Paint enhancer, using Poorboys - black hole

5. Seal the paint work using AG sealant

6. Wax with either collinite 476 or a soft Turtle wax. Can also do a combination of both.

7. All black trim treated with AG trim and rubber care.

Can also do interiors. I also have a vax machine which can be used to clean seats and carpets. Not 100% confident with leather treatment yet but as soon as I am I can also provide this service.

Price wise for Corrado forum member I can do the whole lot on a Corrado form steps 1 to 7 for £70, I think this is a fair price considering it would take me pretty much all day to complete this. For the inside as well I would say an extra £10 would be fair. The price on other cars would all depends on the size. As mentioned above any combination can be done and prices will be done on each individually requirements.

all that I would require from you whilst doing it would be a power and water supply (will have a hose and extension leads just need some where to plug them in) Also a few cups of tea :D

The results I can get you can see below, I will be practicing on my new car as the paint isnt great on it to make sure I confidently handle any ones car. Your car would be treated like my own and great care will be taken on every step.

051.jpg

050.jpg

75974_10150784723651853_516956852_9512842_1252380822_n.jpg

049.jpg

048.jpg

047.jpg

023.jpg

022.jpg

021.jpg

010.jpg

009.jpg

Thanks for looking and if interested please contact me.

Also have a fb page now

https://www.facebook.com/pages/AJ-Detailing/452728348119329

**I cannot grantee removal of scratches with the polisher as I will only use a very light pad and paste, due to the lack of a paint thickness gauge. The results will come from rounding off the edge of the scratches which will scatter the light better giving a better appearance.

Edited by Swompy

Think this is a great little idea for a little business venture Jake. Good luck with it :)

Will reply to you now Wendy

Thanks Jim, I hope it takes off, had enough of working for a-holes

Best of luck with this Jake. Looking at the pics, you did a great job with your C!! I'm sure you'll get a few takers without any problem.

Just be careful with other cars with regard to paint depths on older cars. I know DA's are pretty safe, but with softer paints it will still cause marring. I know the pro's charge a fortune, but they are insured against things like this, and have paint depth gauges to ensure it doesn't happen. Nice little sideline for your mates and on the forum though if people are happy with your work, but don't get your hopes up too much with jacking in work and going full time though mate. A guy on one of the other forums I'm on enquired about it all, contacted used car dealerships and all sorts trying to generate work, It was the insurance that put an end to it. Thats why the Pros charge so much I suppose. :eek:

Ya no doubt, as I said a little something on the side to keep me out of trouble. Would only use the polisher with extreme caution and will be practicing on my daily to make sure I'm 100% confident with it.

Thats why I have not started doing detailing, had to turn so much work down but the insurance and car damage always worried me... good luck but be careful

if your just using Autoglym SRP you would have to be an idiot to damage the paint, it has virtually no cut at all but does fill scratches in very well.

Its not the autoglyn that would damage the paint it could be the heat from the machine....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CMEBEBYwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cliosport.net%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3F314566-Car-detailing-amp-insurance&ei=16zMT9f9F4eX8gPbkWQ&usg=AFQjCNFaJnS6ewaKoEE-FTDSvuOg_ewsJQ&sig2=Y_OCelCWvI3IzXV-6_BB6A

Anyway like i said good luck with the venture, not trying to put anyone off but just share my thoughts.

Thats why I have not started doing detailing, had to turn so much work down but the insurance and car damage always worried me... good luck but be careful

Same here. I'm happy to take on jobs around London/Essex but would charge a fair bit more to be honest as corrado's have very tough paint.

When I get better I might charge more but cant justify charging any more at this stage.

Well after god knows how many emails and canceled appointments I finally managed to get over to Wendy's to clean her car. We could of writen a book on how many dates we sent only to be canceled for several reasons but mainly the weather.

Yesterday I went over to See her to finally give her can a good polish and clean. She was a bit further than I originally thought, but wasnt too fused as it was a nice drive over. Leaving mine at 6 and got there just after 8. To find Wendy out ready with the pressure washer.

As Wendy had to leave at 4 I set to work.

This is how the car was when I arrived.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

First off was a clean followed by a clay bar. Was really impressed with how little was coming off on the clay bad as the paint was very clean as it was.

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Can see a few swirl marks.

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

Next the plastics were all taped up ready for the machine polish. Each panel was given two passes with the machine polisher followed by a hand polish. As stated in the original post I was only using the finishing pad and speed glaze past. So I would not of been able to remove the swirl or scratches but it would improve the overall appearance of the car by rounding off the edges of the marks, which would scatter the light better and there for improving the look of the car.

012-1.jpg

013-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

After the tape was removed the whole car was then given a going over with Poor boys black hole, AG paint sealant then Collinite 476 wax to seal in and protect the paint.

And here is how the car looked at the end. Really loved the colour in the sun once finished and the blue flakes whilst in the sun are absolutely amazing.

022-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

Dude VR6 in the reflection :cool:

025-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

029-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

032-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

The little helpers :D

034-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

And the money shots.

039-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

I was really pleased with the way the car came out and also very impressed with the overall condition of the whole car considering the mileage.

Also a big thanks to Wendy for the bacon sarny and pizza to keep me going and Dude VR6 for spotting the odd bit of dust I missed :thumbleft:

Nice one there! Impressed.

Interesting comment about the clay bar treatment, as I, too, noticed on my own cars, that due to things like cleaning them after almost every drive, the clay bar hardly came up with any dirt on the paint. Pays off to stay on top of your Rados :)

Tempest

Loving the detailing you did on Wendy's car - make me feel guilty for just washing mine. A question for you on cleaning wheels if you don't mind. My speedlines are in very good nick having been refurbished a couple of years ago. But there is a bit of a build up of something on them - see pic - brake dust/corrosion?

I'm not quite sure what to attack that with so as not to mess up the overall finish on the wheel. Any pointers please?

Nice one there! Impressed.

Interesting comment about the clay bar treatment, as I, too, noticed on my own cars, that due to things like cleaning them after almost every drive, the clay bar hardly came up with any dirt on the paint. Pays off to stay on top of your Rados :)

Tempest

Thanks, ya it is surprising how little I got, just goes to show what a difference it can make washing it after every use.

hi mate

where in gloucester are you?

dont suppose i could book you for berkeley castle on the 30th?

cheers paul

Hi mate I'm in Cinderford. I can try and get you in but unfortunately I havnt got any weekends off untill after the show. I know the week before the show I either have Monday Tuesday off or Tuesday Wednesday off. If thats any good to you?

Great work matey, top notch and a shame the weather has been so bad this year.

Cheers mate, Ya the weather has been a nightmare

Loving the detailing you did on Wendy's car - make me feel guilty for just washing mine. A question for you on cleaning wheels if you don't mind. My speedlines are in very good nick having been refurbished a couple of years ago. But there is a bit of a build up of something on them - see pic - brake dust/corrosion?

I'm not quite sure what to attack that with so as not to mess up the overall finish on the wheel. Any pointers please?

Thank you. Umm I would guess it is built up of brake dust as thats where it all ways builds up in those corners. Try using AG alloy wheel cleaners as it works very well. If it doesnt come off with the brush try using your fingers. I find my finger is some times better at removing dirt in corners than the wheel brush. I also found the move exspensive the wheel cleaner is the better it works. I bought some cheap stuff before and it didnt do anything. Just make sure you dont leave it on too long and rinse it off with plenty of clean water (I have a hose pipe next to me) you cant go wrong. :thumbleft:

I have been using poorboys wheel sealent its a pink paste thats applied and removed like a wax, couple of coats after a good clean and the break dust comes off real easy.

dont forget its just paint and lacquer so just use a polish on it and it`ll come off...no need to use abrasive wheel acids.

dont forget its just paint and lacquer so just use a polish on it and it`ll come off...no need to use abrasive wheel acids.

Indeed - a claybar will also lift that crap out of the corners too :)

I would have commented sooner, but I was away for the weekend directly after Jake had finished working on my car.

As Jake said my car was in better order than he was expecting, in particular not as dirty, due to regularly cleaning it, he hardly got off any grim when using the clay bar.

He used the lightest buffer, and the car is now just stunning smooth in touch.

And, it has a mirror like image in which to see you own reflection, as you can see in his photographs the images of hedges, neighbours houses etc.

Personally I would recommend Jake all day long, very impressed with his work and the result.

Whilst Jake was cleaning all the outside, I gave all the leather, its hide treatment, really cleaned all the engine bay (which so many of you have been commenting on over the years !! - so it is finally considerably better !!!), reblacked all the rubber bits - again and polished the alloys - these are the recently refurbished ones, which I had never thought to polish previoulsy - Thanks Miles for that and also fitting the rubber seal around my aerial , plus your quality control !!!!

One Very happy ME !!

I'm glad your happy with it Wendy. Was a pleasure working on such a clean example of a Corrado.

And thanks once again for keeping me fueled through out the day.