robo22sri

who to insure a car with an engine change?

As title, i bought a golf that was a 2.0 gti that has been converted to a vr6 and Admiral who i am with won't insure it!

So who is good company to get a quote from?

Cheers Rob

yup, brentacre.... I had a VR6 in my mk2 golf ans had an "upto 220BHP" policy, any mod that took me to 220BHP basically was covered! also was able to "mirror" my NCB from my daily driver to bring down the price of the policy too.

wowsers, my 220BHP mk2 VR6 had an endless list of mods. low comp bottom end, schrick BVH, shrick VGI, 268 cams, bmc, 6 branch, 3.68 gearbox, coilovers, uprated ARB's, coilovers etc... declared everything and that was only 960 a year back in 2005... and I was only 22 then!

Yup i am 28 do about 2000miles a year with an accident back in 2008! insurance is crap

adrian flux were nearly three times more expensive :( even tho i insure one of my other cars with them

Flux are crap! Was insured with them a few years ago and they screwed me over on my NCB :(

I now use Classic Line. Beat every other quote (and by quite a bit) for my Rado. Was recommended by my mate who uses them. Used them on his previous 2 Porsches and now on his new Lotus Elsie and his Mini Worx.

The phone operators are really friendly too.

Another vote for Brentacre with engine conversions.

If you do stick a new (bigger) engine into your Corrados, remember the new rules:- http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/ChangesToYourRegistrationCertificate/DG_4022054

What it essentially means is, you need to send some documented evidence of the engine change along with the updated V5.

If you installed the motor yourself, it can literally just be a piece of headed paper from a garage saying "Supply 1 x Audi 3.2 V6 engine for customer fitment. Engine number - XXXXXXXX. £1500".

If you don't do this, you can bet your bottom dollar the insurance will be null and void if you crash it.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

i got the best deal from performance direct they gave me the same cover for the least money

they wont even give me a price for my 'rado!! its only a VR with SP cams, coils etc! made me laugh that they are called performance direct & wont touch a 90s coupe with a few tweeks....