Sign in to follow this  
smiff

16v head work.....TSR or Stealth?

I have a 1991 1.8 16v (KR) Corrado. I’ve been looking to squeeze a few more bhp out of the old girl. I’ve had my Corrado for nearly 5 years and feel she has a few more miles left in her!

Can you please recommend (your personal opinion) where I should get my car customised? I have talked to TSR about there Pack A Head work package (165bhp), complete price £1393. And will be calling Stealth later today. Or, could you recommend any other garages closer to the Hertfordshire (North London) area? I understand it’s a lot of money, but I think the car is worth spending it on.

Any replies (opinions) will be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently going to be doing

Single butterfly throttle body from a mk1 Gti

Changing inlet cam to exhaust cam

WUR Mod by Stealth which is warm up regulator, Theres a screw behind a cap which u can adjust to make it run slightly richer thru the rev range

I'd have to say Stealth. I've bought loads of stuff off Vince, never had a problem. whereas I've always found Tim Stiles to be an obnoxious c*nt, and the only thing I've evenr bought off them was a B&M shifter, and it's the biggest pile of sh1t I've ever bought for my car.

I read about the Single butterfly throttle, could prove to make the car a bit thirsty. I drive 25miles to work each day, petrol money soon adds up over a month!

I've always found Tim Stiles to be an obnoxious c*nt

Likewise - they're not exactly customer focussed!!

Was thinking of their Pack A head too, but just can't justify that sort of cash, especially when you can pick up the component parts; and then organise a mechanic/ yourself to do the job at half the cost :)

Never approached stealth - hows their prices compare :?:

Stealth is worth a try as they allways seem friendly.I don`t think much of TSR. Not only are they expensive but when they returned a rebuilt cylinder head of mine it came back with a couple of bent bearing cap studs because it was badly wraped up.

Pack A is just gas flowed, you can do that yourself.

Try grant motorsport. you may have a hard time getting holds of him , but there's nothing he doesn't know about VR6 heads. I'm sure he can work wonders with a 16v too.

apparently all TSR heads are done by some guy in London

I think that race power motorsport do them. Thats who did my 8v head, and he quoted somewhere around £300 for flowing the 16v head. It will be a whole lot cheqper if you are doing the rest of thework yourself!

I've always found Tim Stiles to be an obnoxious c*nt,

Agreed, he is precisely one of those.

What do you expect from an ex School teacher though? The clothes he wears and the beard that adorns his face are not synonymous with cutting edge VW tuning! No offense to any cardigan wearers that may be among us :lol:

Besides, his products have a very shadey reputation. I've known many a dissatisfied TSR customer.

At least with Vince he doesn't Bullsh*t you and and you know exactly what you're going to get, e.g. what *he* says is on the tin and not some over-inflated claims from the manufacturer.

K

I agree with Phatty try Grant.. hes spot on i've known him for a while and hes a spot on guy .. he luvs his Vr6's and 16 valves he yack on about them for ever ..hes 16valves really do go well i know first hand.. try giving him a call just dont with hold your no as he wont answer..his no. is 07967914362

Andy

I have a 1991 1.8 16v (KR) Corrado. I’ve been looking to squeeze a few more bhp out of the old girl. I’ve had my Corrado for nearly 5 years and feel she has a few more miles left in her!

Can you please recommend (your personal opinion) where I should get my car customised? I have talked to TSR about there Pack A Head work package (165bhp), complete price £1393. And will be calling Stealth later today. Or, could you recommend any other garages closer to the Hertfordshire (North London) area? I understand it’s a lot of money, but I think the car is worth spending it on.

Any replies (opinions) will be greatly appreciated.

Well, TSR took 1200 quid off me for a bored KR block which then siezed after 4000 miles, the rebuild lasted 10,000 miles and did the same, IMO don't waste your time and hard earned cash with them.

Everyone seems pleased with Stealth and they have always been dead polite to all of us on rolling road days up there.

I actually got my head done by http://www.tts-performance.co.uk/homepage.shtml which do mainly bike stuff, but did an excellent job porting and flowing my 16v head a few years ago for about 600 quid, that included lower inlet manifold and 2 new exhaust valves, the head has outlasted more than 2 TSR blocks anyway :!:

David.

I don't know if you are all aware but Tim Styles no longer owns TSR, he sold it about a year ago.

I've never had any problems and have always been happy with the staff and all the work I have had done there in the past.

Surely they can't be as bad as some of you are making out as I recently tried to book my Audi in for a service and they were fully booked for over a month, doesn't sound like a crap place to me.

The comments from Phat and certainly myself come from personal experience. We wouldn't slate a business without justification.

If you've found Tim and/or his staff to be accomodating and friendly aswell as possessing a good business acumen, then fair enough, you were one of the fortunate ones.

K

Never approached stealth - hows their prices compare

Not sure at the mo. Had this afternoon off work, got a new tattoo and then an afternoon in the pub! I will call next week.

STEALTH You can drive in with 139bhp as standard and drive out with roughly 155bhp without any parts and he only charges for an hour on rollers (bout 85squid) All this from a tune-up...... RESULT!!!!!!!!!!

you series adie?? i bet it runs very thirsty after that though?? must be that wur trick cheesy was on about above.

Stealth is literally about 20mins from me and i borrowed jonathons wheels from him at stealth and they seem like they know what they're doing and are very nice blokes...

Not sure about others, but i'd give everyone a chance first except maybe the ones with more negative feedback unless you wanna trust them in new ownership.

:roll:

Sanj.

Can't really knock Stealth.. had my last rado serviced there, and had all its other work done there.

My new Rado is due a service next month and i'll be taking it to Stealth without any hesitation.

I've spoken to TSR and C&R, neither of which were that useful.

Also spoke to Grant motorsport, he was very helpful and seemed genuinly interested in my car.

Also looking at moding my head myself, which I just read a book all about, plus I'm quite experienced with engines anyway.

Also I am considering a new set of cams, I currently have 2.0 16v with a KR inlet cam.

Can anyone give me any tips in flowing/porting a 16v head?

I'm probably gonna go with Grant Motor Sport! They are keen to do the work and after reading posts here and on other web sites, sound friendly and trust worthy!

Phil:

I'm not mechanically hands on but I do read (and look at pictures!) on the internet, I found this page on DIY porting. If I had the tools, space and time it looks like a good project to try!

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.htm