vwchimp

Amp Earth Point

Where is the best place to fix the earth wire for the amp in my boot?

I know its best the keep the wire as short as possible. I was just wondering if there is already a point that a can use that is close by to save drilling a new hole

The previous owner of mine earthed the amp on one of the four screws holding the rear seat centre hump.

I was looking at the seat screws but wasnt sure. I dont have a rear seat hump I wish i did though they look so much better :(

I can't remember exactly how the rear seats are screwed down but there are bound to be some sturdy screws holding them. I'd go for one of those if possible. You may even find that the screw holes are still there for the hump fitment.

EDIT: I thought it was only 8v that didn't have a hump?

Edited by Portent

I did notice a space behind the seats that had 4 holes in it. Im not sure im still learning all these little touches about Rados. If it was only the 8vs then my interior has been changed at some point. It does look in really good nick as it has done 189000miles. It has been owned previously by someone on this forum as it has one of daves16v handle fixes on the drivers side (well thats my guess anyway).

I would love a differnt interior but i just havent got the cash atm. Ive just the interior retrimmed on my caddy and that cost me a pretty peny but it does look awesome and well worth the cash

When I bought my car the amp was earthed on the rear parcel shelf attaching thread. Literally on the rear of the car next to the rear lights. Never had an issue with this.

I now earth it on a correct earth point located behind the rear door cards. Didn't notice a difference but I'm happier with it here.

Blimey, some pretty feeble earthing points being mentioned here!

A LOT of current passes through an amp, especially one with subwoofer duties. I always use 0 gauge earth cable and put a big eyelet on for fitment to the rear seatbelt anchor point. Maybe that's just me. I can't do 'that'll do' engineering! :D

A LOT of current passes through an amp, especially one with subwoofer duties. I always use 0 gauge earth cable and put a big eyelet on for fitment to the rear seatbelt anchor point. Maybe that's just me. I can't do 'that'll do' engineering! :D

This ^

No problems with 1x Audison LRX1.1k and 1x Audison LRX5.600 at high volume... :)

When I bought my car the amp was earthed on the rear parcel shelf attaching thread. Literally on the rear of the car next to the rear lights. Never had an issue with this.

I now earth it on a correct earth point located behind the rear door cards. Didn't notice a difference but I'm happier with it here.

Same here. There's one on both sides of the car, they're used by the electric window relays (drivers side) and heated seat relays (pass side if you have them). No problem getting a 0 gauge cable through to them either.

Right well as the earth wire comes out the drivers side i will find the screws to take that card off and mount it in there. You cant beat factory earth points :)

Thanks for your help guys

Where exactly do you guys mean when you talk about the seat belt mount?

Is it the belt clip on the seat base or where the belt is mounted at Either the base on outside of cabin or the shoulder point???

Where exactly do you guys mean when you talk about the seat belt mount?

Is it the belt clip on the seat base or where the belt is mounted at Either the base on outside of cabin or the shoulder point???

The one I used was the bolt that holds the belt clip (kinda under the rear seats).. If that makes sense? :)

Ive just run Three 0 gauge cables from front to back and also x1 earth cable from the ALT to the back, but id use the seat brackets or a very clean 1/2 inch bolt through the boot flooring just to be safe