Bishbosh1

HELP - Radiator leaking

Gutted, driving home from work yesterday and my radiator leaked all the water out! Luckily i was about 1 mile from home so the engine didnt really overheat too much (i hope). Not really being a DIY man myself does anyone know what sort of cost im looking at to have it replaced and where the best place to buy it from?

Bish bosh :censored:

VR6 Rads are Uber expensive (circa £200 for pattern parts). If you want a garage to do it, its gonna cost at least another £100. Remember you need to factor in new coolant too. You may as well go for a full flush, thermostat, housing, and seal change whilst your at it. You can re-use your coolant provided its not too old, and you filter it before putting it back in, it should be fine to re-use although not really recommended. If I were you, I'd phone around for prices for a re-core in your area to see if thats a viable option. It'll come back like new anyway! Hope this helps mate!

May just be a problem with the bottom hose or the crack pipe, don't dump the radiator unless you're sure about where the leak is coming from.

I'm still waiting on a time to pick up those Solitudes BTW - you do still have them don't you? I could take a look at your car if you wanted at the same time

Thanks for the advice guys, got a mechanic coming over tomorrow to have a proper look at it for me. Storm 2 - yes still got the alloys for you, what time you thinking of picking them up?

Cheers

as above, if you can identify where the leak is (hopefully not the radiator) it may not be too much. Have a look and see if you can find any pink crust marks around the radiator circuit. It may just be a cracked pipe neck or elbow somewhere. Post some pictures up and we can give some more input from there. I wouldnt suggest using anything like radweld although some swear by it!

Thanks for the advice guys, got a mechanic coming over tomorrow to have a proper look at it for me. Storm 2 - yes still got the alloys for you, what time you thinking of picking them up?

Cheers

was thinking about weekend 7/8 July?

get some water in & have a look where the leak is.... then you will know what you are up against. Its fairly simple plumbing & will save you a few bob if you have a go yourself.

How did it go in the end - was it a quick fix?

Hi, I ended up having the rad replaced so all sorted until I got made redundant on Friday!!! Mrs wants me to get rid of my expensive weekend toy now!! It might end up on a few sites Sunday night