DaisyD

Novice in need of help

Just had my VR6 MOT'd and serviced and they have picked up just a few things (I wish) that need attention ...

Been saving for months for a re-spray so wanna try and do some of the mechanical stuff myself so as to not eat into my savings too much but am a bit of a novice so any help/ advice would be gratefully received. I have been searching the forum for previous threads that might help me.

Front brakes are juddering - ordered my pads and discs which arrived today and having a go at this over the weekend ... wish me luck :p

Play in rear wheel bearing - going to adjust these at this weekend too

There is corrosion on the brake pipes - going to rub these down and paint them

Slight noise in front wheel bearings/ Play in the suspension top mounts - Don't think I am quite up to this job yet so going to book him in to garage but I read on the forum that I should consider replacing wishbones, track rod ends and ball joints at the same time? These additional parts are bumping up quotes for this job so wonder what people think?

Oil cooler is leaking oil and coolant ??? Seen loads of different things of the forum about this - will investigate further this weekend while he's jacked up but not sure what I should be looking for?!

Axel bushes have perished - I have no idea :scratch:

Cheers

DaisyD

In my experience with any older VW's is that when the cars are jacked up and there's no weight on the front top mounts there's always play/movement in them which is perfectly normal. Also I wouldn't bother with the wishbones, ball joints and rod ends if there's nothing wrong with them. Chances are you won't feel a great deal of difference by replacing them all unless there knocking/worn.

Rear axle bushes always look perished. These cars are getting old. I'd only replace them if there was serious issues with them.

Good to see that you're having a go at some of the jobs though, will save you a good amount of money all being well.

As far as the rear wheel bearing goes pop wheel off put socket on and extension and give it a little turn by hand if possible if not a little nip with socket. As above top mounts are easy. You will need a press for front wheel bearings and they can be fidly. Oil coolers go in the middle where it's thinnest it's an alloy square style with the oil filter screwed to it. Its not too much hastle to swap but messy you will end up changing oul and filter at same time and also coolant if its old. When my rear axel bushes failed on mk2 golf it was obvious as it scrubbed tyre. I ended up cutting the old one out with a hack saw blade then hammering rest out. I put a polly bush in but a lot of people on this forum and others elsewhere maintain this makes the car too hard so it might be worth putting an original back in. If it had not failed on all these dont worry it gives you something to do during the rainy summer.

get some new brake carrier bolts before doing the front brakes. They could be a bugger to get off and as they're an allen key fitment they could be rounded out getting them off. They're not expensive and just to note they're 2 different lengths - top is longer than the bottom or vice versa.

Front brakes fitted - thanks for tip on carrier bolts! And rear bearings adjusted ...

Garage says that my oil/ coolant leak is coming from the oil cooler but struggling to locate it

Been looking in my manual and have a feeling it is under the engine block??? Can anyone help?

---------- Post added at 7:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:00 PM ----------

Front brakes fitted - thanks for tip on carrier bolts! And rear bearings adjusted ...

Garage says that my oil/ coolant leak is coming from the oil cooler but struggling to locate it

Been looking in my manual and have a feeling it is under the engine block??? Can anyone help?

Here's a pictures showing the oil cooler, 'red arrow'. replace the seals at the front and rear of it part numbers rear + 038 117 070A & front 038 117 070, and have a look at the coolant pick ups on the crack pipe, as these sometimes fracture at the base.

Matt

Aaah ... cheers Matt - this is where I changed my oil filter so should be able to find it now

Off work this week so will investigate further

Thanks again

DaisyD