Sign in to follow this  
stormseeker

Traction Control - not working or just not fitted?

Something I've been meaning to get to the bottom of ever since I bought my C:

Was the simple Traction Control System (TCS or EDL or whatever VW called it) fitted as standard on late ('95 Model year) VR6's??

Mine's definitely not working (smoke those tyres!!! :D :twisted: ) - but I don't know if it's just not there, or fitted and not working :? :cry:

Can anyone shed any light...

Chris - I'm pretty sure it was a standard fit on all VR's but was never very effective at stopping the front wheels spinning. I also have a '95 VR and have had problems with wheelspin ever since I got it 3 years ago.

The best form of traction control is your right foot.... :? But where is the fun in that??

Browsing the ETKA parts catalogue gives different part numbers (obviouisly!) for the different ABS ECUs - where's the ABS brain located? Does anyone know if the part number is visible without ripping the thing out???

Can you tell by looking at the ABS block whether the extra traction control bits are fitted or is the only difference in the ECU?

Browsing the ETKA parts catalogue gives different part numbers (obviouisly!) for the different ABS ECUs - where's the ABS brain located? Does anyone know if the part number is visible without ripping the thing out???

Can you tell by looking at the ABS block whether the extra traction control bits are fitted or is the only difference in the ECU?

ALL Corrado VR6's had EDL as standard - but it only works up to 25mph and will not work past half throttle.... so if you are nailing it to the floor it will cut out by default.... mine works *:)

ALL Corrado VR6's had EDL as standard - but it only works up to 25mph and will not work past half throttle.... so if you are nailing it to the floor it will cut out by default.... mine works *:)

Ahhh - didn't know about the half throttle bit...

Need to find an ice rink to do some testing..... :D :D :D

I thought I had the same issue when I got my Storm last autumn as my wheels always spin and there's no perceivable traction control going on at the wheels, so I assumed it wasn’t working.

However, at winter and on snow I could hear it trying to work - faint clicking noise from the ABS sensor unit on the dash, or from behind it - but again no impact at the wheels. This only happens up to an indicated 15mph. Either it's been disconnected at the wheels or it's a crap system. I suspect the latter.

Never heard about the 1/2 throttle bit but before.

Just reading a Top Gear magazine review of C VR6 vs. Fiat Coupe vs. Nissan 200 vs. Honda Prelude from August 1995 on the VW CCGB website where they note:

"The Corrado does have traction control but it doesn’t work that well. Gun the VW hard and you’ll have wheelspin aplenty in first and second gears with the front of the car squirming around the road."

Guess it's a lot too subtle then....

Not strictly true. The final generation of VR6s had an EDL ABS brain, particularly the storms, but they werent standard issue in 1993/4 on the VR6s. I obtained the EDL brain for mine and that seemed to make all of the difference. The loom section and hydraulic elements were common to both versions- only the brain was unique in the RHD version.

It seems to work, however it is definately true that it does not engage on full throttle. There are some published ATE articles on this, which refer to the need not to stress the diff too much on high throttle depression. I've heard that the later GOLF 4 version of the system included a loopback to the Engine ECU and that it was much better.

Anybody shed light on retrofitting the ESP system into a C? :roll:

my 93 vr6 has got traction control,only time i felt it working was in the snow,you can feel it working through the brake pedal

my 93 vr6 has got traction control,only time i felt it working was in the snow,you can feel it working through the brake pedal

How so? The traction control (as opposed to the anti-lock brakes!) should work when you're accelerating, usually from a standstill, to stop the wheels spinning.

If you've got your foot on the throttle, how can you feel the brake pedal?

Maybe you're left-foot braking to try and control the wheelspin yourself :wink: :)