akacheesy

How to adjust bonnet cable

I have a new bonnet release cable along with all the stupid clips and that.

My question is, how do I tighten it? Only the drivers side pops up and not the passenger side. I'm assuming I need to tighten it?

If so how do i do it?

Many thanks

On the passenger side it should feed through a little trumpet which has a tiny nut. Undo the nut and pull the cable through to tighten. Do nut up again. 5 minute job :)

Don't do what I did with brand new cable and over tighten the little bolt. I sheered it off, luckily just at the point where it was set perfect but now need to find a replacement bolt and try to drill out old one!

Can't stand to spend another 50 odd quid for the sake of a tiny bolt!

There seems to be far to much slack in my bonnet release cable since I got my C back from the garage (they've f*cked it basically). Looks like the cable needs tightening via the passenger side trumpet as you guys mentioned.

Is it literally a case of loosening off the bolt on the passenger side trumpet and pulling the cable through to increase the tension, then tightening the bolt back up to lock the cable into position?

Presume once this is done the bonnet release lever will then rest in its normal position under tension when not in use with the lever pointing towards the engine bay, instead of it pointing towards the driver as it is currently doing (not under tension)?

Note: At present there is no excess cable sticking out the back of the passenger side trumpet at all due to the amount of slack in the cable (mechanic yanked the lever I suspect pulling all the tension out of the cable because the trumpet bolt has come loose).

Edited by tentonhammer

Yeah pull it all tight. I held the cable with pliers and pulled it tight. Worth watching the trumpets while someone pulls the handle as they can catch in the cut outs in slam panel where cable passes through. I think I reversed my passenger side trumpet. But it might of been the wrong way round to begin with.

Something else I noticed on mine. Was the tabs that hang down from slam panel and the outer sleeve of cable pushes against. They rust and start to bend when you pull the cable.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for clearing that up, looks like the the cable and fixings (bar one white plastic clip running along the engine bay towards the cabin) are intact. Should be a fairly straight forward job in that case - if it ever stops f*cking raining!