Crispy Squirrel

Man of many problems seeks man of much Wisdom (Oil temp,Heat,Fans,)

Here's a wee list of problems that I would LOVE some advice on getting fixed/ Look at / DONE.

I still have problems with over heating despite fan fix , and head gasket fix - Radiator? New Fan ? bigger fan ?, i was in a bit of traffic sat, during the heavy sunshine but still only for 30-mins. Fan came on but didn't cool much if at all (had to pull over)

No working engine temp- Mate said it all looks fine under bonnet maybe electrical problems behind dials etc, advice?

I have problems with oil temperature (Oil light comes on and beeps for around 5-10 minutes, turning engine off then on turns it off- making me think it might just be a dash board problem)

So basically they're all heating problems with the engine getting too hot!

any way we can test different areas to get results on what bits arn't working?

Please any advice no big or small wanted. cheers guys (love this forum) Carl.

Edited by Crispy Squirrel
Just to give some love

Take out the instrument cluster and carefully remove the needles for the temperature and fuel gauges. Under the metal disc you will see thin wire filaments wound around a metal strip. Make sure the end of the strip is located properly in its guide and that the filaments haven't fused together between the terminals and the metal strip - they shouldn't be touching each other, but pry apart if they are.

That pretty much rules out the gauge itself. Perhaps renew the temp sender(s) and if that fails check wiring.

Have you tried replacing the water pump?

think i paid about £40 for a complete waterpump,i would fit a new thermostat aswell,it could even be a blocked heater matrix

Your water pump may have propellers broken off it, the only way to find that out is to take it out. Also once the pump is out it should be easy to turn by hand, if not then bearings are ruined.

If you have the bypass delete, and your matrix is a bit blocked, the water wont circulate properly. This will cause strain on the pump, and water will get hotter than it should as its not being cooled by the rad properly. I had problems with my oil light/alarm randomly flashing. I'd changed clocks, wiring, sensors, pump, cleaned pickup the lot. Turns out it was the baffle on the pickup being a bit loose as one of the retaining clips had snapped off.

Edited by seanl82

My old valver had an overheating issue, turned out the water pump had broken in two, pulley turned ok but the impeller didn't move at all, also discovered the thermostat was missing :)

What blocked heater matrix would effect engine temperature and oil temps ?

yer if the water is not getting around the engine .does your heater blow hot air

I had problems with my oil light/alarm randomly flashing. I'd changed clocks, wiring, sensors, pump, cleaned pickup the lot. Turns out it was the baffle on the pickup being a bit loose as one of the retaining clips had snapped off.

^^ This happens every time I drive for longer than 30minutes.

'yer if the water is not getting around the engine .does your heater blow hot air'

^^ I only get hot air after long journeys and thats just heat from the engine. I have no 'blow' no power from my fans...

Thanks for all of this guys can't wait to show my mechanic/mate all this input!

Unless they know Corrados I very much doubt it. It'll probably take you less time than it would take them, unless you print the guide with pics out and hand it to them. Even so, it'll probably cost a pretty penny as it takes a few hours.

I spent the best part of a day changing my matrix with the dash in, it's not that bad to do but I'd rather take my time and do it myself than have someone else hack away at the trim parts.

A lot of my time was spent cleaning the air distribution unit and faffing about rather than actually doing the change, but do make sure that the air distribution unit fixing screws that go through the bulkhead into the engine bay are free, if you cant get the nuts undone in the engine bay you struggle for ever to get them out, I had one that was corroded and was a b1tch to get out.