VR-Sixy

Bizarre Goings On Under The Bonnet

On the way home from work tonight, my battery light came on and i almost instantly lost my power steering.

A couple of minutes later, the temperature light started flashing but eventually went out after about a minute or so.

By the time i had nearly got home, i could see the guages (temp and petrol) giving false readings and they were both

getting lower and lower. By the time i did get home, they were both practically giving no readings at all. The Cooler fans

on the rad are doing strange things as well. When i leave the key in the ignition switch on, the fans are silent. As soon as

i turn the ignition off and take the key out, they start up again.

I'm guessing this could be Alternator problems, but TBH, i've not got any other clues than that. The one that's on there

at the moment has been there since i got my Rado so it could be past it's sell by date. I've hooked up the battery charger

and the needle shot over to max as soon as i threw the switch so there was bald-all left in the battery. There was pleny of

fluid in the battery though and did not need topping up.

Anyone out there got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

:scratch:

P.S. I've just noticed some water on the pavement where the car was sat for a couple of minutes when i let myself in the house,

and it's wet on the subframe directly under the water header tank, but there doesn't look to be any leaks coming from there!!

---------- Post added at 6:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:39 PM ----------

OK.... i've just topped up the header tank and the fans no longer kick in when i take the ignition

key out. Still...... :scratch:

Edited by VR-Sixy
more info.....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]69088[/ATTACH]

Just noticed the above. Rather shiney with what looks to be lots of perished rubber hanging around underneath the shiney bit!

Yes?

Alternator belt broke.... Power drain... No water pump.... Engine overheated..... You should have stoped straight away... Gauge readings rong due to low voltage, water on paviment due to water temps going over 100C

Alternator belt broke.... Power drain... No water pump.... Engine overheated..... You should have stoped straight away... Gauge readings rong due to low voltage, water on paviment due to water temps going over 100C
Thanks Floppyman, this was going to be my next question - but you answered it for me. I wondered if the beldtdrove anything else...... like the water pump. Explains a lot of things. Many, many thanks for your input. It's really appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Is this an enormous job do you know, or if i can source the part tomorrow, could a relative novice get this done?

Looks like the air filter box has to come out to get at it - more than that i'm not sure about. Thanks.

if its overheated you could have done a head gasket ( i hope not) but its one thing to check belts are easily sourced from local motor factors ( motabitz halfords( if you are rich)or GSF if you have a local branch? good luck bud i hope its a simple fix

Header tank does have an overflow.

I can't see the belt in that pic?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

if its overheated you could have done a head gasket ( i hope not) but its one thing to check belts are easily sourced from local motor factors ( motabitz halfords( if you are rich)or GSF if you have a local branch? good luck bud i hope its a simple fix
Okey D . Will get on with some phonig when the shops open. Forgot about GSF, there one in Feltham, about 5 miles away!!

And i right in thinking that it's the same belf for a Gofl VR6 or a Corrado VR6?

---------- Post added at 8:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:23 AM ----------

Bingo. GSF have 2 in stock. £15.60!! Hopefully that's a result. :) :)

Its an easy diy job tbh, shouldnt cause you any problems. Im on my phone, but have a look in the wiki guides or google if your unsure. With the high temps you engine was running at, the fan WILL come on/stay on when you remove the key. This aids cooling after switch off, as obviously no coolant is circulating. By the time you topped up with water it had probably cooled sufficiently.

Wey Hey Hey. Happy Ending. Managed to find a mobile mechanic guy locally who was just about to finish for the day, but he came over anyway and was here within 20 minutes of calling him - and on a bank holiday as well! Diamond Geezer. Fitted in under half an hour - £40.00 and I'm happy. Looks like there's no other concerns. Just taken it out for a 10 mile run and the water temp is behaving itself and there's no steam coming out from under the bonnet or white plumes from the exhaust. I have my power steering back and all the guages are working properly again.

This guy was absolutely brilliant and i have his contact number if anyone ever needs a mobile mechanic in the Heathrow, Staines, Walton On Thames and surrounding area. Thanks to everyone who chipped in with their thoughts. Greatly appreciated. :) :) :)

Thats nice... If it was a few months ago i would have helped you.... Was living in stanwell... 5 minutes from that gsf branch :(

Thats nice... If it was a few months ago i would have helped you.... Was living in stanwell... 5 minutes from that gsf branch :(
Know it well... just down the A30 towards Staines.