MedwayCorrado

Attacking the heater matrix tomorow..Any tips and hints??

Hi :)

So the heater matrix has given up the ghost guys :( Steam/smoke everywhere on setting 4 and on hot, steams up the whole car even with windows up and DRINKS coolant like its going out of fashion!!!

So i'm picking up a new matrix tomorrow..im just seeing if anyone has any advice on what to do? I've searched and found the guide, and googled it and stuff, just wanted to see if anyone had any tips? :)

Thanks

Matt

Take the dash out as it's easier in the long run.

Apart from that it's just a matter of time and patience. Something I have little of.

Best of luck

Oh well that sucks, was hoping it wouldn't come to that :( CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Yeah i'm the same, gonna be lots of swearing, shouting and throwing things around the place monday afternoon :(

Thankyou mate :)

Agreed - Dash out really is the best way to do it - remember the two nuts that hold it to the bulkhead that are located in the scuttle tray - easy to forget.

Best of luck - not a difficult job - just takes time.

Try to label everything you take off, it will make putting it back a lot easier,while apart check/clean/regrease the heater flaps and all moving mechanisms,

Good luck

Well I did it with the dash in and it wasn't that bad, removing the dash would have meant taking a lot more of the car apart

Which ever way you do it make sure the studs/bolts that go through the bulkhead have free nuts in the engine bay before ripping everything out inside the car

Edited by davidwort

I've yet to tackle a matrix but have removed a dash. To be honest, it's pretty easy, just a case of undoings bolts and taking your time. Considering how bad a job it's meant to be its not taxing just time consuming.

Yeah it's not a bad job and perfectly possible on a RHD car without removing the dash...

Garages hate it as it involves trim and obviously the time means they have to charge a lot of cash for what essentially is a radiator change.

Eric recently had his done by Listers VW in Cov who did a good job it seems!

Well that was a truly lovely job to do. Went with taking the dash out, i have no idea how you even start to do it with the dash in? Took an age to get the hoses off in the engine bay due to the clips being literally upside down, but we got there eventually and all works well..s**t it a bit when i put the heaters on and it steamed the town out, but i let it carry on and it was fine :)

Nice work, yet to do one myself with 5 corrado's in the line up i aint looking forward to it lol!

Congratulations, did mine not too long ago and it is a pain but a relief when its done! mine was done with the dash in and I honestly cannot understand what all the fuss is about having to take the dash out, I had the matrix in and out about 3-4 times before I was happy that everything was back into place properly and it is a little fiddly but nothing compared to those bloody constant tension clips when someone has put them on upside down!!!

Oh don't even talk about them clips!! The ones behind that you cant see were on the wrong way round, luckily a mate turned up then, so i handed it over to him haha..honestly couldn't see how you get it out without the dash out, im sure its very easy, i just looked and was like wow, looks awkward lol.

Yea, thats what I thought at first but I have a huge phobia (perhaps not phobia but absolute huge hatred) of squeaks and rattles and to me, once something comes out, the likelihood of it going back in the same way and not squeaking is minimal so gave it a go without taking the dash out and thankfully managed it. There is a special tool for those clips that I have been meaning to buy for the last 4 years lol

those clips are evil. seems matrix are like some sort of initiation ceremony to corrado ownership!

Done matrix twice within as many months. Turns out my valver had missed an early recall that solved them bursting under pressure.

I only learnt there was a recall/fix afterwards.

Haha have you filled the rear of your dash with wool? I'm betting you had at least 1 screw left over after you had finished. I swear one day I'll have enough bolts and screws to build another corrado... from my own corrado.

It is literally amazing how quiet you can get the dash and associated parts once you've refitted it and tensioner all bolts & screws correctly.

It's been night and day on all the car's I've changed the heater matrix on. Currently 5 & counting...

I find with removing the dash completely, it allows you to re-run all wiring and cabling, neatly and efficiently as you begin to put the dash back in.

Really wouldn't like to attempt that with the dash half out but still attached in places.