TanVr6

Confused on Brake Upgrade!?!

Hi Guys

I'm currently running standard wooden blocks as brakes on my VR

I want to upgrade but want the best possible to go under a set of BBS RS's (must have very soon)

Can you guys advise what I could stretch too?

I would like to go 312 or bigger

Porsche, brembo or Seat Sport Ap Racing...

I dnt want to spend crazy money as the VR isnt supercharged or Turbo'd

But dnt mind spending 250-450 ish all in

There's so much out there n on the forum from time to time, and I always miss out as I'm not sure if they will fit or be suitable.

So is there a guide on here already or can you guys point out the differences.

I'd rather have better brakes than I need. So when I need to brake hard or show a cheeky boy racer a real car, I dnt have to worry abt....'can I stop in time?'

Just going up to 288's will give you a substantial improvement... I run them on my VR6 and can't believe the difference they make over normal 280's!

Hmmm

I've actually got some carriers n calipers for 312mm and the spacers.

Just need the bolts.

They have been split n painted.

Just need rebuilding n fitting.

But I'm thinking something a bit more special like Porsche or Seat R brakes?

Which are brembo's, which are pricey, and from what i have read are not very well matched to the performance of the master cylinder which make the brake peddle feel dead.

I got new disks (genuine vw still in wrapper), and reasonable second hand 288 calipers for £40 off fleabay, compare that to £500-£700ish for the brembo's.

Now they are all bedded in, the brake peddle feels dead at the start but put a bit more pressure on and they feel twice as strong, they feel matched to the rest of the car, they just feel right.

As they always say its your car and your money, my set up with pads and braided hoses about £110, best £110 i have ever spent on my C...........

Iv been looking around for ages and can't be bothered with painting n getting the brakes iv got already built n fitted.

I would just rather buy a complete kit that is ready to fit, n readily painted without me gettin my hands dirty! I just dnt have the time.

So for me it's gotta be the Porsche setup or Seat R Brakes

There's a kit on eBay by a guy called G Tech

Anyone come across them or used there Kit??!?!?

If you can get a Brembo set all-in, without doing any painting, or getting your hands dirty, for £250-£450 can you let us all know how you did it ?

From the research i have done you'll be looking at at least £750, if you can get it done for the budget you have, then firstly good for you, and then please report back because a lot of other people will be very interested.

Somehow "not" getting your hands dirty, and "i dont have time" are things which just don't go hand-in-hand with having a near 20 year old car, i could be wrong, i hope for your sake i am, but i doubt it.

Not sure on your pricing for brembos but they are around alot , not here often , but if i remember emu has some brakes for sale , good set ups aswell id have a chat with him and see what he has to say

I could well be interested in the 312 setup you have if you wanted to sell or you could send me a price via pm if you did want rid

Cheers

The pricing was for "not getting my hands dirty" and "i haven't got time" so presumably he would pay someone to fit them, check for leaks/replace the seals, and paint them if they were second hand, plus the cost of the kit if you could buy it all at once which are rare bearing in mind how old our cars are getting.

Yea emu had a set for £500 and £700, some brake fluid for bleeding then get someone to fit them, for a budget of £250-£450 ??

Sound a lot closer to £500-£750, than £450 to me, so im not sure how you're pricing that, but like i said if the chap can do it on that budget then good luck to him.

And the brembo's may well go over the 312's disks you have.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?74481-Big-Brakes-4Pots-323mm-6-Pots-343mm-280-mm-rears

Edited by daleyboy

That was pointed at the op dale not you it just sounded that way what i meant was that brembos are expensive ! For any set up that has brembo written on them its going to be expensive and then your fitting costs and then whatever else you might aswell change like the brake lines and maybe the master cylinder then you have disks and pads on top and if i remember when i bought my set up they had custom jabbasport mounts to fit them so maybe its worth thinking about that to

What else i meant was that they are around to buy second hand just dont come up on here regular , more on edition id say , i bought a set of there about two years ago for 400 quid with adapter brackets and id be suprised if the prices have dropped

323mm from cupra is best upgrade for you. I got 288mm on my vr6 and they are same crap as 280. 312mm are much better but still way off from 323mm.

I found the 288's much better than the 280 which are just not strong enough, the calipers on the 288's are found on lots of cars i have a 2.5 alfa 156 which has almost identical ones on.

I don't agree that the 288's are the same crap as the 280's i think they are much, much better.

The brakes have always been the Achilles heel of the VR, and the cupra set up is probably one of the best set up's bearing in mind you dont need the brackets, they are just a bolt on affair, finding them however is quite difficult at a good price, but all you need is a slice of luck one day.

Redborbet, yea mate i could have got you wrong there, i wasn't trying to be disrespectful, just trying to help the op as much as possible with what i have found out over the years.

I would like to hear the outcome, all too often you hear people trying to do something and you never find out how it ends up.

Edited by daleyboy

Ahh no offence taken bud i never usually make any sense anyway and usually when i do i balls up all the spelling on my iphone because i push the wrong bit of the screen!! Anyway yep lets see what the op does in the end and weather hes gonna sell me his 312 setup haha

I don't agree that the 288's are the same crap as the 280's i think they are much, much better.

I whole heartedly agree on that. When I first got my VR6, I thought the brakes were f'cked they were that bad :lol:

I've done a few brake upgrades over the years, and here are my findings:

Uprated 280 discs and pads - You'd be better off standing over a drain cover and emptying the contents of your wallet into it.

280 > 288s - Much much better. Well worth it. OEM MK4 GTI pads work great and only cost 40 quid.

288 > 312 - Not as big a performance hike as 280 > 288, but stronger slowing from high speeds.

312 > AP Racing 330mm 4 pots - Absolutely incredible brakes, but cost £1300 :-(

Currently I'm on 288s with OEM pads as the turbo motor has gone, but even with R32 power, I'm finding them OK. I would like stronger but I want to stay on 15s.

If you can get a Brembo set all-in, without doing any painting, or getting your hands dirty, for £250-£450 can you let us all know how you did it ?

I did it.... my set up cost roughly £300 & I have: Aston Martin DB9 Brembo 4 pots, Seat 323mm Discs & custom carriers. Std hoses would fit but I had some braided ones made up. They will not fade!!

Tan: If you are in need or BBS RS then forget big brakes mate. I think 288s would suit what you are after mate........

---------- Post added at 5:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:02 PM ----------

Uprated 280 discs and pads - You'd be better off standing over a drain cover and emptying the contents of your wallet into it.

I second that!!

I did it.... my set up cost roughly £300 & I have: Aston Martin DB9 Brembo 4 pots, Seat 323mm Discs & custom carriers. Std hoses would fit but I had some braided ones made up. They will not fade!!

There is always one....No thats interesting mate i would never have thought of doing that, you must have got your hands dirty at one point though ??

Edited by daleyboy

i have 312 which fit my rs's no probs at all and a whole lot better than 280's and only cost me £125 second hand...

There is always one....No thats interesting mate i would never have thought of doing that, you must have got your hands dirty at one point though ??

dirty part was removing the old stuff.... calis were new so not too bad. I do like to get dirty now and again to prove I can - my mates laugh at my mouse pushing hands! :LOL:

Most of the work was reading up on what will work etc etc... Porsche calis are popular so have a tax AMs not so much :thumbleft:

Pic here.... sorry about the dirt!!

dirty part was removing the old stuff.... calis were new so not too bad. I do like to get dirty now and again to prove I can - my mates laugh at my mouse pushing hands! :LOL:

Most of the work was reading up on what will work etc etc... Porsche calis are popular so have a tax AMs not so much :thumbleft:

Pic here.... sorry about the dirt!!

That looks sweet :) did those bolt on easily enough?

Argh!

BBS RS are my mission!

So the right brakes are crucial

312 or 323 Brembos from Seat Cupra R

---------- Post added at 2:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:12 AM ----------

323mm from cupra is best upgrade for you. I got 288mm on my vr6 and they are same crap as 280. 312mm are much better but still way off from 323mm.

Won't these be too big to go under bbs Rs's 17"

Don't I need 312 Cupra R brembos or the Porsche 996 calipers (312mm)...?

That looks sweet :) did those bolt on easily enough?

Cheers man! The bit I could not do was make the carriers. Once I had those made it bolts straight on. Pads are now easier to change too!

Guys, does anyone know if I could get 312mm brembo calipers off a seat Leon cupra R

Under a set of 17" BBS RS Rims?

And if anyone has done it, could they send me a pm?

thanks

Right

Iv sourced my desired wheels and dnt think I have the money now to go dwn the big brake route or the space behind the rims without sticking spacers on.

So I'm gonna get 312 discs

As I have the calipers n carriers n spacer, but no bolts...!?!

Any recommendation on high quality discs n pads

Bump

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Discs & pads for front?

Brembo

Brembo max

Ebc red stuff pads?

Brembo pads?