TheVims79

VR6 wont start only with Jumper cables =-(

Hey Mates,

So there's this Corrado i went to look at that i wanted to buy and the guy told me on the phone that there's nothing wrong with the car so when i get there the car wont start and he tells me Gee it's never done this before I knew the Guy was BS"ing me but i just let it go. Any how he says its not the Battery or the starter or the Alternator What could it be? The car only starts with Jumper cables on it and after you drive it around for 5 minutes and then turn it off it wont start again. What is the problem why wont it start? Any Ideas? :bonk::(:argue:

F

Any how he says its not the Battery or the starter or the Alternator

If it wasn't any of those three then it would most likely start!!! How has he assured himself it's none of these three main components? If you have a multimeter (and still want the car, after all if he is BSing you on this which is quite blatant, what else may he BS you on) then there are some simple checks you can perform.

Quick question: when he jump started it, where did he attach the -ve jump cable. If he attached that to the battery then you can rule out any wiring issue to the starter. Only other wiring issue may be the blue 'exciter wire' but I would rule the other parts out first.

F

If it wasn't any of those three then it would most likely start!!! How has he assured himself it's none of these three main components? If you have a multimeter (and still want the car, after all if he is BSing you on this which is quite blatant, what else may he BS you on) then there are some simple checks you can perform.

Quick question: when he jump started it, where did he attach the -ve jump cable. If he attached that to the battery then you can rule out any wiring issue to the starter. Only other wiring issue may be the blue 'exciter wire' but I would rule the other parts out first.

Thanks Mate,

Yeah he did jump start it from the Battery but you do have a good point though if he's Bsing me on one thing it's more than likely that he's Bsing me on others as well. Im taking a shot in the dark on this one. Although im holding off for now He also said that the Fan Relays were Bad but that hasn't been fixed either. Where is this Blue Exciter wire and what does it do?

---------- Post added at 2:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:32 AM ----------

Most likely a battery or Alternator issue - take it to Halfords and get them to test it...

Im from the USA so Halfords might be a long shot for me but thanks for the invite i should give them a call:dance:

He also said that the Fan Relays were Bad but that hasn't been fixed either. Where is this Blue Exciter wire and what does it do?

Sounds like a man with wiring issues!!!

The exciter wire is a thin blue wire that controls the charging circuit. However, you need to rule out the battery and alternator first. Firstly, what voltage is the battery holding when the engine is off and what is it when the car is running. This should sart to narrow things down and I would wager its either a knackered battery or worn out alternator part.

If the rest of the car is good then this could be a good bargaining tool for you.

I would have said battery as well.

Guy sounds like a tool. Walk away and wait for something better.

yea sounds like the battery doesnt have enough go go juice, if you got a spare car with a battery you know for a fact works and charges then swap batterys over. it would be the first thing idd do before takeing his word on it and digging myself into an electrical nightmare.

yea sounds like the battery doesnt have enough go go juice, if you got a spare car with a battery you know for a fact works and charges then swap batterys over. it would be the first thing idd do before takeing his word on it and digging myself into an electrical nightmare.

Not sure this would help as the car jump starts off another battery okay. If the car doesn't start, but it does start with jumper cables, then the battery is dead - the question is whether it's because it can't hold charge (dud battery) or because it's not being charged (dud alternator/charging circuit issue). Another alternative is that it's been stood for a while, and you've got a current drain from somewhere (boot light? alarm? amplifier?), so the battery was drained when he came to start it.

As above - check the voltage across the terminals with the engine running to rule out the charging circuit and alternator.

I would have said battery as well.

Guy sounds like a tool. Walk away and wait for something better.

Yeah the guy is basically a Milk dud! He really wasn't a VW guy he was supposedly selling his fathers car i know its a weird sounding story but thats what he told me.

---------- Post added at 2:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 1:57 AM ----------

Thanks Mate about the Exciter wire i didn't know that it charged the charging circuit, Yeah with the car running the Battery reads 12.34 volts and when it was off i think it was like at 12 it was low i know so evidently there's obviously a charging holding issue. I cant test the car because i only looked at it once but i do know that it could be other things to ok here's the List. What about the

1. E.C.M. Electronic control module or 2.) C.A.S. Crank Angle Sensor or 3.) C.P.S. Crank Position sensor Or 4 the P.C.M modulator. I heard all of those at some point where a problem to why this VR6 wouldn't start for other VR6 corrado's at some point. Well i hope that handful can help everyone out :agrue::multi::drinking::pukeright:

Sounds like a man with wiring issues!!!

The exciter wire is a thin blue wire that controls the charging circuit. However, you need to rule out the battery and alternator first. Firstly, what voltage is the battery holding when the engine is off and what is it when the car is running. This should sart to narrow things down and I would wager its either a knackered battery or worn out alternator part.

If the rest of the car is good then this could be a good bargaining tool for you.

---------- Post added at 2:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 2:14 AM ----------

Thanks MAte i appreciate the thought but the Battery was replaced and it was new hopefully it's not a CPS or something

Thanks Mate about the Exciter wire i didn't know that it charged the charging circuit, Yeah with the car running the Battery reads 12.34 volts and when it was off i think it was like at 12 it was low i know so evidently there's obviously a charging holding issue.

You should see about 14v on the battery when the car is running. I am now narrowing my wager to the alternator with the exciter wire as an outside bet. All the other parts you mention are incidental in this case as the car does start when it has enough juice. The problem is the battery does not have enough!

had a very similar issue with mine,and after much headscratchin and eliminating

it did turn out to be a dead battery,since changing it its been fine,touch wood.

You should see about 14v on the battery when the car is running. I am now narrowing my wager to the alternator with the exciter wire as an outside bet. All the other parts you mention are incidental in this case as the car does start when it has enough juice. The problem is the battery does not have enough!

Thanks Mate ill look into that about the alternator