aclwalker

VR6 hub nut torque - plus suspension, useful instructions.

Hi,

A while ago I posted about the VR6 hub nut torque:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?42892-Can-we-clarify-VR6-hub-nut-torque-then-sticky-please

Anyway, I just thought it would be useful to post a document I found recently that gives a decent explanation of "plus suspension". It's about the Passat VR6, but is applicable to our cars. It more or less confirms the conclusions in the thread above.

The problem I have is that my car is now eating bearings on one side, although the other side has been fine since doing it a few years back. I reckon either my torque wrench is out or maybe my wheel bearing housing is distorted.

Anyway, hope people find the attachment useful.

A

b4_40-02 (plus suspension).pdf

Page 20 Talks about the hub spline problem i had :! Blimey, thought no one knew, even the Technical people at VW were confused.

Jolted splines it says on there, i just altered all mine with the dremel to get rid of the compressed splines.....ffs, hope it all works out ok....

Bummer

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?76041-Quick-advice-on-dodgy-wheelhub&highlight=splines

If anyone wonders what i'm on about

Page 20 Talks about the hub spline problem i had :! Blimey, thought no one knew, even the Technical people at VW were confused.

Jolted splines it says on there, i just altered all mine with the dremel to get rid of the compressed splines.....ffs, hope it all works out ok...

[/color]http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?76041-Quick-advice-on-dodgy-wheelhub&highlight=splines

lol gutted, just keep an eye on the hub nuts,

Its weird that one side of my car had these compressed splines and not the other, maybe its had a new hub already.

Either way its a bad design imo as my hub had been abused by people in the past to get it on and off.

I can't see it coming undone, will threadlock the hubnut on i think

A torque wrench needs looking after

1. Dont leave the wrench set to a torque for any longer than required

2. Don't use it as an extra long bar to undo tight bolts

3. Don't drop it !!!

4. Speak to your local garage (large one) as they tend to have a companies come around to check and alter the calibration of the tools on a regular basis, see if they will get yours checked.

On 9/25/2012 at 10:09 AM, Jim Bowen said:

Jolted splines it says on there, i just altered all mine with the dremel to get rid of the compressed splines.....ffs, hope it all works out ok....

Bummer

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?76041-Quick-advice-on-dodgy-wheelhub&highlight=splines

The link that Jim kindly loaded up in his above post doesn't work, so I've managed to find it.

Please find Jim's link below just in case anyone needs the info from it.

Si 

This may be somewhat off topic. I'm in the process of stripping down the front suspension - and came across a glitch. Now its been a long time since I've done this but I've come across something I wasnt expecting - the hub carriers seem to be stuck on the driveshaft. I've removed the hub nuts, separated the ball joints, removed connections to the ARB, dropped the calipers, disconnected everything that should be - then tapped the hub carriers lightly with a hammer to shock them free. They don't seem to want to budge.

Has anybody experienced this before? I could swear that I've handled this successfully on the other family VR6 - and I've handled all the work on this car since new - just never taken off the hub carriers on this car before. I was sure these were meant to drop off the driveshaft easily- and I dont really want to thump the carriers.

Is this something a hub puller should solve? Heat? Something else? Experience please....Many thanks.

Edited by Bruno

My passenger side hub was stuck to the CV, I took the CV off its spline and used a 20T press to move it

The left hand driveshaft came out of my VR6 no problem, but had to use a puller on the right hand side to push the shaft through the hub.

I had to do that recently as well. Both originals and so stuck in there that I never been able to remove them. I don't have a press... I tried the "trick" with a torch and putting the axle nut back and slam it with my 10 pounds sledge, didn't even budge... I smashed so hard that the nut broke the filets even if it was all the way in, pretty pissed. I ended up removing the cv from the shaft and bough new outer CV. I had new knuckles and hub so that was ok but may not be the case for everyone... Good luck! I can't help out with a special trick but I can tell you that I will be putting some anti seize before they go back in... 

57 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Both of mine slipped straight out..... Just sayin. 🤐😂

Damn you!! 😂🤣😅😁

Maybe the PO was smart enough to put some anti seize of the shafts prior 😜

Cheers mate!