dubweiser

droplink nuts/washers?

Just a quickie......Just failed MOT on two knackered droplinks.Aside from the droplinks can anyone tell me what size/type nuts they are held on with and is there washers i need to order aswell? cheers

The droplinks came in the post but they only have the bushes in them on the end that goes over the anti roll bar.Is it a wishbone bush that i need also for the other end?(i assume the threaded end of the droplink fits through the wishbone bush?)

Ive never taken these to bits before so not sure how they even fit !!

Edited by dubweiser

Yes the bush you are missing are the bushes that fit inside the wishbone. Normally these are part of the wishbone and not the drop link, and tend to be harder wearing - however now is the perfect time to replace them! Once again they just pop out (or in my case - fall out) :)

The trick with this job is lots of lube ;)

---------- Post added at 7:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:23 PM ----------

Oh, and they are either 14 or 17mm nuts - cant remember which :lol:

Cheers meth,can anyone verify if these are the correct ones? http://www.gsfcarparts.com/427vg0100 .Its just that i ordered some from eurocarparts and they look different,they seem longer and are offset and dont have any kind of "shoulder" as it were on the top for the top part of the bush to press up against?Either the eurocarparts ones are wrong or these gsf ones are wrong?

Edited by dubweiser

Link: 191411315A / 191 411 315 A

Bearing x 2: 6N0411329 / 6N0 411 329

Washer: 861411331 / 861 411 331

Nut: N 90635001 / N 906 350 01

Bolt: N 0347784 / N 034 778 4

Those GSF ones are wrong and I would honestly just bite the bullet and buy genuine from VW - the list above comes to about £55 with discount so not going to break the bank. Pattern ones seem to last a year or two at best.

I can vouch for poor quality from GSF for the droplinks. They should be offset, but when the arrived, they were not. I knew they needed doing, and changed them the day before MOT so had no immediate alternative. They passed MOT fine, but it looked a bit of a bodge and Im not surprised they fail within a couple of years either. Bushes seem poor, the welds were shocking, and without the offset, the sit at an angle slightly causing uneven and premature wear.

I just took the ecp ones back as they cant get the bushes and washers and locknut for the end.Phoned gsf as they advertise on the photo that it all comes in the kit,but when the guy checked,again they only come with the link itself,no bushes for the wishbone or washers and they dont do them.So i just rang the stealers and they have quoted me a price of £81 per side!!! £160 for two feckin droplinks!!!!. Does anyone know where i can get these items from without having my eyeballs taken out aswell?Need them desperately for mot retest

Supercharged,you mention bolts on the list you put up.Can you tell me what the bolts are for?

Also by bearings do you mean the 2 bushes?

£55 per side or for the two? And where can i get discount :-) Id rather get vw ones but i feel its daylight robbery the price they quoted me

---------- Post added at 6:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:38 PM ----------

Ive just seen these on vwspares,does anyone know if they come as the complete kit?If not,if i buy these would the bushes and washers etc from the stealers fit on these links?This looks like a cheaper option to do it this way.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=741

Edited by dubweiser

What?! You don't need to undo the ball joints to fit drop links :scratch: I've done it many times, it's very simple.

Also, ring or email avs if it isn't clear, I'm sure it's not that hard to get a complete set of washers, rubbers and lock nuts, last time I looked you could get them off eBay.

if you buy pattern ones they will corrode and won't last like genuine, but given a coat of Hammerite and a squirt of protective wax they'll do years, it's not like they are under massive strain, mk4's have plastic ones!

Yeah, tons on eBay, about 15 quid delivered for a full set, just search for mk2 golf drop links

Edited by davidwort

no, all the same running gear apart from extra tails on the back subframe to the bodyshell floor giving it a bit more rigidity

unless you have a late 8v/16v (1995) where the only difference is the front suspension top mounts and upper spring plates, or a VR6 where everything is from the 'plus-axle' so essentially all mk3 GTI/VR6 parts

I've done/replaced most things on a 4 cylinder corrado and rarely with genuineVW parts, the only time I've really stuck to VW was for front wheel bearings and the only problems I've had (in 16 years) with pattern parts have been front suspension top mounts, rear engine mount and a steering column top bearing, everything else has been fine, for example my recon PAS pump is 16 years old and running fine!

Edited by davidwort

I did mine the other week using pattern links and powerflex bushes.

Took about 5 minutes each side and didnt have to remove anything other than the original drop links to fit. Its a bit fiddly but all these things are. Like I said previously - lube makes it easier =]

Nope,eurocarparts only do one version for my reg and thats the one i ordered but it doesnt come with bushes or washers or nuts and they dont do them.It comes up on their computer screen as unavailable as i saw when i took them back.

Volksparts of durham have managed to source me some complete so going to pick them up tomorrow.Fingers crossed they are right.

The lads in their have helped me a few times with parts so i would recommend them to anyone in the north east

Sorry mate presumed they would stock both like vr6. Should have mentioned that's what I have. If you can't get OE from anywhere else go main dealer. I know it costs more but they will last. I did hear that powerflex make a drop link but just checked their website and cant find one listed, that might be worth a phone call.

God only knows mate.When i questioned the price the answer was oh well if you want to keep the car on the road you have to pay the prices.Glad to say i was on the phone and not face to face otherwise he would have had to order himself an anal droplink removal tool cos i would of rammed them up his arse.Theres a line between buying a quality item and blatant blind robbery.

I don't know if they have silly mark up. I know the guy on my local VW parts desk and I can check the price with him if you want. I know it's the drop links your after just need your reg. if you don't want to post it on here PM me and I will bell him tomorrow. Out of interest did you try VW heritage to see if they stock it.

Cheers joist,im going to pick some up tomorrow from volksparts but if they are not correct or i get stuck,il pm you the reg.Cheers mate

Supercharged do you mean £50 each side or £50 in total for both mate?

That aint too bad.Its a bit different from the £80 per side that i was told.I think the bloke i spoke to at my vw dealers was just a bit of a tool and didnt know what the hell he was talking about.Wouldnt be the first time either

Edited by dubweiser