24V Renshaw

Anyone on here a Tiler?

I am about to embark on tiling a couple of bits of my new bathrooms and althought pretty happy with the process and what I am doing, I want to make sure I am not missing anything silly and also get any clever tips for improving the finish and or time savings.

Cheers

Jay

yep, I'd love to know how to get perfect grouting, can never seem to get it spot on, I've done 4 bathrooms and showers now and it just takes so much planning to get the layout, joints and corners in the right places etc.

Full tiling around window openings was my pet hate.

A decent quality tile cutter, the score and break, with a lever arm type thing, is definitely a boost, as is a water cooled electric tile cutter, and a hole cutter makes for neat pipe outlets.

took this on myself for the first time last year, did the kitchen and i have to say i did a good job considering. Worst part is working out where to start, making sure you have whole tiles and how the corners and fiddly bits work out. But once youve done that its plane sailing.

As David said a water cooled electic circular cutter is best for straight lines and to an extent cutting small elaborate bits out, but a hand cutter would be useful too.

Also make allowances for breakages, mistakes etc. so plenty of spare tiles is essential.

When grouting, just lather it on to get in the gaps. the scrape the excess off. Then get a damp sponge and just wipe over all the tiles diagonally to the gaps. This will take excess grout out but leave enough in.

Trust me its easier than you think, i thought it was daunting, but as i said above once youve worked it out (and do take your time to do this, or you'll be pulling tiles off the wall to redo), its easy from there and you'll get them up in no time.

Enjoy! :)

Im going to be doing the bathroom soon and i cant wait - :lol: how sad, but i really enjoy tiling.

Easy job is tiling. I did my kitchen not long ago, was a breeze with a proper water cooled electric cutter and spacers you can buy. Then just bung your grout in and wipe off access with a damp sponge. Job done, lovely grout lines too

Make sure the walls are straight! as tile adhesive is not buildable

Get a rubi tile cutter 2nd hand if you can afford one ;) the best lever type tile cutter available, water cutters take to long to mess about pushing it through!!

Grout small areas at time 1m sq and wipe down thoroughly as grout is pain in the arse when set!

window reveals are a pain in the arse!

Good quality tile adhesive and Grout is a must!! Do not be tempted by tile adhesive grout combination as its crap, If you are on a budget B&Q do a quality tile cutter thats not too expensive and has good reviews on tilers web sites, and only use a electric wheel cutter for difficult cuts! Setting out is the most important part, Centre the walls and measure back to each point so you have identlcle cut each side, Measure twice cut once and remember a sprit level is your friend, Take your time and good luck

RE the corners, I just make sure I don't butt the tiles up hard up against the wall as they're not always as straight as they may look to the eye. Always leave a 3-5mm gap so that way you can move the tiles around a bit whilst the adhesive is still tacky, then the whole wall should look uniformly gapped. If you don't get the corners right, the rest of the wall can look an arse, but it's usually less obvious with the smaller tiles. The trendy big tiles will show up alignment discrepencies very easily!

And you think walls are bad. Try tiling the floor! I had a right ball ache with our underfloor heated bathroom.... and don't use black tiles on the floor either. A pig to keep clean :D

---------- Post added at 5:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:04 PM ----------

Oh and if you use an electric cutter, wear some overalls, eye protection and expect to get wet :D

I found my laser level amazingly helpful when I've done tiling! I've done a few now for friends and family.

Make sure you use flexible grout and adhesive and tile to Aqua board where possible in moisture areas. Saves issues further down the line.

Oh a fix a piece of wood to the wall and start half way up the wall ;)

Oh and if your doing dark floor and light walls do a little upstand to make a skirting :) Nice little touch

97FDB866-D8AA-43A3-99C2-5C6768384131-6467-00000797DE01266D.jpg

Cheers guys. I am basically tiling 3 sides of the ensuite shower 1200x800 and then a corner for the main bathroom shower 1400x900 and then the floor. So no major reveals etc to worry about. Kept it dead simple in the design of the bathrooms. I need to seal in the shower trays and "tank" the shower area before I tile, which I am going to do this week. I have been reading loads on the tile forums so am fairly up to speed. Current state of bathrooms....

Ensuite

[ATTACH]70285[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]70286[/ATTACH]

Main bathroom

[ATTACH]70287[/ATTACH]

Jay

Use the biggest tiles possible!!

If you are tiling the floor, scew hardibacker or ply down first, those floorboards will not be stable enough. Get a proper grout float (like a rubber plasterers float) it makes life so much easier and quicker. Same goes for the adhesive. Work out any relevant centrelines and mark with a pencil, then tile outwards from it. If you're using ply then tank it with Mapei waterproofing kit or the likes of. Build a false wall to hide any pipework or stick it in a stud wall, trial fit everything before tiling and work out how you are going to do any corners etc. Make sure your angles are 90 degrees before you start or it'll look cr@p. The wall I put up between the shower and bath was 90 degrees to the floor at the front edge but I didn't notice it was out at the back edge, so you can see by the time it gets to the top, it's 10mm in on the back tiles. Not that niticeable but it bugs me when I look at it...

Take your time and enjoy the results!! This was my first tiling job and I'd never choose mosaics again! Also I'd choose easy clean floor tiles and larger ones means less grout. The grey grout will mean less visible mould in years to come.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/grouting-float-220mm-x-100mm/18498?_requestid=378063

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484?_requestid=378150