iamsilverfox

help on raising vr6 engine.

(didnt know if this should be in drivetrain section, so please move if necessary)

evening.

need some help regarding engine mounts. basically, my corrado is very low. its a late vr, and there's about an inch or so clearance from the subframe/floor. plans over winter are to get it a little lower. i know lots of people dont agree with this, but please dont reply with 'raise your car then' etc, as thats not very helpful.

obviously sump clearance is and issue, but if i could get it to sit just a little higher than the subframe i'll be sweet. Anyone with experience of raising the engine. Ive read the odd bit of people with mk3's doing it with hockey pucks some longer bolts. Potential issues ive worked out so far

-bonnet clearance, how much room do i have?

-fly wheel and driveshaft clearance (but i'll solve this with a notch)

-which mounts to change?

does anyone know if i can get away with just raising the front mount? or which mounts do i need to adjust?

here's a picture of my car for reference.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70512[/ATTACH]

it use to belong to a guy on here, but i forget his name.

thank you.

I think an r32 sump and oil pump is what you're looking for, people have mention them on here before, it's a more shallow sump so should give you more clearance. Don't like the sound of mounting the engine on hockey pucks, what about the manifold, cooling hoses and gear cables etc. Although there is very minimal clearance with a vr corrado anyway as vw had to modify the bonnet to get that lump in.

As above, very little clearance between the bonnet and the highest part of the manifold. When you fit a Schrick manifold you need to remove a section of the inner bonnet structure to stop it fouling.

If you're on the original engine mounts get them swapped for poly ones, the originals are probably thoroughly compressed by now. Should be good for 20mm, once they're definitely good you can see where you are before you start going mad with the hockey pucks :)

I think an r32 sump and oil pump is what you're looking for, people have mention them on here before, it's a more shallow sump so should give you more clearance. Don't like the sound of mounting the engine on hockey pucks, what about the manifold, cooling hoses and gear cables etc. Although there is very minimal clearance with a vr corrado anyway as vw had to modify the bonnet to get that lump in.

thanks i already knew of this, but wont the weaker alloy sump shatter with the first impact. the current steel one is taking quite a battering and still holding up. plus its hella expensive!

As above, very little clearance between the bonnet and the highest part of the manifold. When you fit a Schrick manifold you need to remove a section of the inner bonnet structure to stop it fouling.

this was what i thought :( these mk3 boys are laughing with their clearance.

If you're on the original engine mounts get them swapped for poly ones, the originals are probably thoroughly compressed by now. Should be good for 20mm, once they're definitely good you can see where you are before you start going mad with the hockey pucks :)

again, i thought this. if they're the original mounts, theyre probably a little past their best. 20mm would be alright. dont poly bushes have a repuation to shake everything to **** on idle? :(

thanks i already knew of this, but wont the weaker alloy sump shatter with the first impact. the current steel one is taking quite a battering and still holding up. plus its hella expensive!

Not heard if it's been done before so you might be the guinea pig but how about getting an R32 oil pump then doing a cut n shut job on the sump to shorten it?

You're lucky your sump is holding up, I've only got a 'sensible' drop on coilies and managed to grind the bottom off the sump and dump all the oil one time!

If you can get it higher than the sub-frame then i should hope that you wont be bashing it!, there is always the option of getting a short oil pick-up and shortening and strengthening you steel sump

There is enough clearance to "puck" the front mount, although i think you will need to remove the OEM bonnet insulation

not helpful but your car looks amazing as it is! why on earth do you want it lower?

so i can run four wheel camber so extra scene points ha. thank you very much, but its all about the hard stance imo.

You're lucky your sump is holding up, I've only got a 'sensible' drop on coilies and managed to grind the bottom off the sump and dump all the oil one time!

people say this, and ive spoken to people with a tiny drop and they smash their sumps. i guess youve got to be super aware when you're driving. my corrados my daily so im very use to it. the coilovers are stiff as anything though so the only movement is in the sidewall (which is much) so this stops me from bouncing around.

If you can get it higher than the sub-frame then i should hope that you wont be bashing it!, there is always the option of getting a short oil pick-up and shortening and strengthening you steel sump

There is enough clearance to "puck" the front mount, although i think you will need to remove the OEM bonnet insulation

that sounds like a good idea. i'll be ripping it apart over winter anyway so i'll keep this updated. thanks for the responses.

if anyones interested, got it all sorted in the end for ultimate dubs. lowest static vr around!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73405[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73406[/ATTACH]

That looks awesome! Mine is pretty low but my front splitter is battered to hell, yours looks perfect! Obviously this means I can go lower...