Sign in to follow this  
phaserno1

!!Petrol!!

Aye tis a shambles indeed.

There are the road issues aswell. Supercharged's mate snapped a driveshaft the other day due to a massive pot hole. Apparently the local councils are paying so much money out for wrecked supensions and wheels that they can't afford to repair the holes in the roads causing the damage in the first place. What I want to know is where all the revenue from road tax and council tax is going if it's not being put back into the roads?

The Government seem determined to bring the whole country to a grinding halt

Say no more about the roads mate. You should try driving through Coventry.. its truely shocking. Though I am sure its the same everywhere else. I think local councils are as much to blame though.. our council are currently now going around putting in loads of traffic calming measures, crazy speedbumps, and green coloured cycle lanes all over the place, whilst discussing plans to flatten the ring road etc!! They need to try spending that money on repairing the roads!!

Whatever government comes in to power next, they've got a LOT of work on their hands to clean up the mess that Labour have left us I think. The only thing they have done good from what I understand is support for OAP's - I know that my gran gets much better benefits under labour, and as she doesn't drive and is in very good health, she doesn't really see the negative aspects of the government.

Naa.. just a civilised venting of a little frustration :)

well it seems my tread has started to properly kick off now...

LOL, you'll find that happens a lot on here :wink:

I was in Moncton New Brunswick Canada, where regular unleaded is 103.2 cents/liter. that's 87 octane. about .42 pounds

that is extremely high for here in canada

The high petrol tax (and therefore prices) also pretty much directly drives inflation. Given that everything we buy in this service-industry island has to be driven from point a (usually a port) to point b (your local kwik-e-mart), the price of that item is almost proportional to the cost of driving that truck/van/cavalier ... ;)

I was in Moncton New Brunswick Canada, where regular unleaded is 103.2 cents/liter. that's 87 octane. about .42 pounds

that is extremely high for here in canada

I think your octane is measured differently to ours? A VR6 (SLC) won't run on 87 Octane. It needs 95 minimum, well, Euro RON that is. Don't you guys use MON instead of RON? The MON number is usually different to the RON number.

42p a litre would be lovely. It would reduce my £60 fill ups to £30 :?

I believe USA engines are detuned and modified to run on the lower grade fuel... possibly one of the reasons why VW made the SLC with the standard 2.8 engine as it was too much additional work to modify the 2.9 unit? Probably me speaking crap as always but... you never know :)

I think their top notch stuff at the pumps is only 92RON.

92 *their* RON, but it's equivalent to our 98 RON I think.

If it's a true 87 or 92 Octane, then the VR6 engine would need a compression ration reduction to run on that, which would equal bugger all power!

K

Hm.. I guess that must be it.

I always assumed one of the contributing factors of their low fuel prices was the fact that it was low grade. But obviously that rules that out.

Good find Joe - that sorts that one out then! :)

Well I think the absolute cheapest stuff that you can get at the pumps in the USA is 87PON which would work out as around 91 or 92RON.. still enough to run a VR6 engine without trouble or not?

*edit*

Ok got a little confirmation from a US based forum about fuel grades.. this is what I was given :

Regular = 87 octane

Premium = 90? octane

Ultra = 92 octane

Ultra94 (Sunoco) = 94 octane

yeah chimo, the prices were getting hiked in BC when I was in Vancouver and they were all crying like babies that the fuel was almost at the $1 CAN mark. " :cry: I can't drive my big SUV any more :(" I was sitting there going... hmm so the exchange rate is about 2.3 $ to the £ at the moment...

Yay for not driving SUVs, but at least they were all getting worked up about the price hike, which is what we should do. It's especially annoying as the government stick stinky, polluting, empty buses onto the roads while we all drive some of the most fuel efficient cars availabe (ok VR6 isn't a good example ;)).

While we're on the fuel issue, despite what the oil companies say, hydrogen is actually just as polluting as petrol, if not more so. Ok the car itself is cleaner so the cities get nicer, but how do you get the hydrogen? Either from electrolysis from coal powered electricity, or by steaming natural gas.

The most environmentally firendly thing you can do is shove a Diesel in your C and run it on bio waste :) http://www.bio-power.co.uk/ you still legally have to declare what you buy and pay fuel tax on it, but it means the oil companies aren't getting more money to fund Bush (and subsequently Blair) with :D It's made from old chip fat oil that usually just gets ditched somewhere, it doesn't use fossil fuels, and it gives you the same 'performance' as a standard diesel engine. Ok it's still an oil burner, but it's a start.

I reckon if everyone in the country stopped buying petrol for a week, we'd see the government and petrol companies crumble.

Shame that's never likely to happen though... :x

We've got 77.6 & 77.9 , 95RON atTesco's & ASDA in Havant. I've used Optimax and have not really had the benefit on the daily grind through to Southampton, you know what I mean, the MMMMZZzzzz27 :sleeping:

Filled my G up today with Optimax..... 85.9p a litre :shock: :shock: :shock: Just as well it's not a daily driver eh?

well mine is going to be cheep for a while as it is going to be off the road for ages as i have a problem with presure in the pipes..... aaaarrrrrr

Well was speaking to a guy at BP today and he informed me that it will be going up to 91.9 in my area very soon as in friday!!! i guess the whole thing is getting out of control now....

Fule strikes here we come i guess very soon!!!!

GOVERMENT SORT IT OUT :p :x :twisted: :evil:

Panic buying started in Devon already :!: Service stations running out on M5 :D Yippe I can't get to work