Jon_vr6

Help car a non starter was fixed now back to non starting HELP!!

Got in the car this morning went to start the car and well nothing just a electrical pop when i turn the key. Whats my first port of call ?

I was thinking ignition switch but havnt had any probs with starting, or starter motor ?

Battery has plenty of juice as the vdo gauge shows. So strange any help or pointer much appriciated

Edited by Jon_vr6

Do you hear the fuel pump prime at all when you put the ignition on?

Cant remember will have a listen later...sounds as though ive not turned the immobiliser off when i go to start it BUT ive turned it off. Also when i go to turn the key to start and i get the electrical pop when i go to start again it wont turn to where you turn to start the engine. I have to take the key out of the ignition to be able to try again

Ah - from the above it sound like the switch has broken internally unless the key is badly worn...

If it's not been changed recently then buy one (from VAG) - easy to test without fully fitting it

Got a spare ignition switch recently will see tonight...first port of call is fuses n relays then ignition switch.

Fuel pump primes as i hear the click when i turn the ignition on. Im off tomorrow so hopefully i can look at stuff these dark nights are a pain

The click is just the relay. Can u actually hear the pump prime though? If its not even turning over though, its pointing toward ignition switch rather than the pump anyway. If it was turning over but not firing, that would point toward spark or fuel problems.

When people say can you hear the pump prime what noise am i listening for ? Yeah im more inclined to look at the easier things first relays, fuses, ignition switch. Just so random though drove fine yesterday on the way home no problems

When people say can you hear the pump prime what noise am i listening for ? Yeah im more inclined to look at the easier things first relays, fuses, ignition switch. Just so random though drove fine yesterday on the way home no problems

A few seconds buzz from behind you in the fuel tank from the pump when you turn the key to ign on position.

Fuel pump is near-silent on the VR6, all I hear is the click of the relay.

Not sure if it applies to a VR6, but on the Golfs I've had, I had a problem with corrosion on one of the wires to the starter, which causes similar symptoms the ones you described.

Fuel pump is near-silent on the VR6, all I hear is the click of the relay.

Not sure if it applies to a VR6, but on the Golfs I've had, I had a problem with corrosion on one of the wires to the starter, which causes similar symptoms the ones you described.

Good to know its not just me, ive heard that they get noisy when on their way out though

Not the ignition switch just changed for new and its still the same. Narrowed down the electrical pop to the starter motor solenoid on top of the starter give it a beating but still nothing

Have you tried bumping / tow starting the car? If the car starts then its starter / switch related

Was advised not to bump start the car as its a vr6 with chains and apparently you shouldnt dont know why just something ive heard.

Anyway just ordered a starter motor and will be here tomorrow, after that im stuck.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quick question can you remove the vr6 starter motor without taking off the front end of the car?

Was advised not to bump start the car as its a vr6 with chains and apparently you shouldnt dont know why just something ive heard.

Anyway just ordered a starter motor and will be here tomorrow, after that im stuck.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Quick question can you remove the vr6 starter motor without taking off the front end of the car?

If you use the starter, the starter turns the flywheel, flywheel turns the crank, crank the chains and cams etc

If you bump start it the gearbox turns the flywheel instead of the starter and all the rest follows as above, many of these cars stall when being driven and bump up nicely when you engage a gear.

Anyone care to divulge why these cars can't be bump started?

It's because of chain-stretch caused by the engine suddenly engaging - especially with the hydraulic tensioner - you should never bump start a VR.

Have you got AA cover?? If so remember you could use them to diagnose the issue

Starter is off removed fairly easy job really, glad ive got slim line fans otherwise it wouldnt have been so easy. So just a waiting game now till tomorrow morning

Is there anything i need to take off the old starter motor and put on the new one?

Edited by Jon_vr6

If you use the starter, the starter turns the flywheel, flywheel turns the crank, crank the chains and cams etc

If you bump start it the gearbox turns the flywheel instead of the starter and all the rest follows as above, many of these cars stall when being driven and bump up nicely when you engage a gear.

Anyone care to divulge why these cars can't be bump started?

Hmm, if you accidentally start a car with it in gear there's a fair old jolt compared to pulling off carefully in first gear (good clutch control), I can't see how bump starting the car with carefull use of the clutch could hurt let alone stretch chains?

I have to say I'm with Dox on this one, and I couldn't put it better in terms of his explanation, there should be no difference in turning the flywheel via the motor or the drive shaft. When starting from cold with all the oil drained back to sump then hydraulic tensioners would not have oil pressure until a second or two after the engine starts.Normally 2nd gear is best for bumping. (although I have never had to try it on my VR, only MK2 Golf) I have heard rumours about not bump starting cars with catalytic converters though. Something to do with unburned fuel reaching the cat and then overheating when it eventually does fire up. Not sure how true that is though..............could be b0110ck5.

---------- Post added at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:58 PM ----------

Ok, done a little more research on the cat issue. I believe it should be ok as long as you have not been turning the engine over on the starter repeatedly without it firing as the above is true regarding the unburned fuel. However you should be ok as you have not been doing this. As for the chain issue, still none the wiser.

Well ordered the starter from Euro Car Parts and picked it up this morning went home to compare the two and there were some major differences one big one being that the bolts to attach it to the car wouldnt even fit, it was a bosch part aswell must have been for something else. So that went back to ECP for a refund and i did what i should have done ordered from VW, slightly dearer and have to wait a few more days but at least i know the parts going to fit. Moral of the story dont order from the monkeys at ECP

Well ordered the starter from Euro Car Parts and picked it up this morning went home to compare the two and there were some major differences one big one being that the bolts to attach it to the car wouldnt even fit, it was a bosch part aswell must have been for something else. So that went back to ECP for a refund and i did what i should have done ordered from VW, slightly dearer and have to wait a few more days but at least i know the parts going to fit. Moral of the story dont order from the monkeys at ECP

Haven't you got an auto electrician near you that can test / rebuild yours?

Did the VW dealer offer you a discount in exchange for your old starter motor. TPS did when I purchaed one off them.