craigowl

Recent hifi Turntable setup for max £500

I have Thorens TD150/2 with Linn Basik Plus arm and Ortofon cartridge - all built into handcrafted wooden plinth.

45rpm not available without hassle.

Should I stick with this, or can I get a more recent setup (new/second hand) for max £500?

Or is this like asking "should I trade in my TR4 for a Ford Focus? - I really do not know enough about the later stuff. Some get great reviews.

Mmmmm, a topic close to my heart :D

Why is there no 45rpm? Single speed motor or no gearing changes available? Most decks you can lift the platter off and move the drive belt up or down to a different pulley.

This is a fantastic deck for the money. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richer-Sounds-Project-Essential-Black-Manual-Drive-Turntable-2-Speeds-33-45-/121005463287?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item1c2c7cd6f7

OK, it's not full on Audiophile grade but the platter is heavy for a deck in this price point and it does sound very good. I do like the balanced sound of Ortofon MM pick-ups, which it comes with as standard.

Buy it!

Depends what you're trying to achieve? Does it still sound good? do you need to play 45's?

Project do some nice kit but the setup you have would probably cost a fair bit to replicate / replace.

Vinyl is the way forward though, I love it :-)

EDIT = Kev, I still have my SL-1200 MK2 btw!

Mmmmm, a topic close to my heart :D

Why is there no 45rpm? Single speed motor or no gearing changes available? Most decks you can lift the platter off and move the drive belt up or down to a different pulley.

This is a fantastic deck for the money. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Richer-Sounds-Project-Essential-Black-Manual-Drive-Turntable-2-Speeds-33-45-/121005463287?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item1c2c7cd6f7

OK, it's not full on Audiophile grade but the platter is heavy for a deck in this price point and it does sound very good. I do like the balanced sound of Ortofon MM pick-ups, which it comes with as standard.

Buy it!

The guy who built the deck into the wooden plinth removed the lever system that pushes the belt up the pulley to change speed.

I had a TD150/2 from new in 1970(!) until a couple of years ago when this item caught my eye with better arm/cartridge. It cost £400.

I can change to 45rpm but have to remove heavy platter, mat, etc.

Maybe if I get all my 45rpm 12" singles onto tape (I have Nak Dragon and ZX-9 and Revox B-215) I can just forget about 45rpm and use what I have with the 33rpm?

Well if you have a Dragon, absolutely get the 45s onto tape! Maxell and TDK used to do some pretty special metal tapes back in the day. Not sure if you can still get them though? I only had a lowly Yamaha tape deck but I was hard pressed to tell the difference between vinyl and recordings on TDK's finest.

Depends what you're trying to achieve? Does it still sound good? do you need to play 45's?

Project do some nice kit but the setup you have would probably cost a fair bit to replicate / replace.

Vinyl is the way forward though, I love it :-)

EDIT = Kev, I still have my SL-1200 MK2 btw!

Thanks, Supercharged - never giving up on my analogue. Great to see young people getting hooked on vinyl!

I suppose with the setup I got for £400 - it would be bonkers to change to new stuff at similar or slightly higher price?

I still have the 1st LP I bought in 1964. "Rolling Stones" - mono. Who'd have imagined they'd still be blowing people away after half a century. They gave themselves two years in the business.

As I said to Kev, I love the 12" singles I bought in the 1980s/90s. Great idea if you love a track - having it on both sides, extended and instrumental versions.

The Project Essential was the one I was thinking of getting when I recently started picking up a few albums on vinyl but in the end a mate of mine got me some freebie job. I only ever saw good reviews of that one though so must be worth a punt!

Well if you have a Dragon, absolutely get the 45s onto tape! Maxell and TDK used to do some pretty special metal tapes back in the day. Not sure if you can still get them though? I only had a lowly Yamaha tape deck but I was hard pressed to tell the difference between vinyl and recordings on TDK's finest.

Yes, got metal tapes. Loads on eBay, but prices becoming high as they are now sought after as collector's items, rather than for actual use.

The great TDK-SA is not made any more. Fortunately, I bought loads over the last couple of years before that happened. If you see them buy them and stash them away - tape heads love them!

Yes, got metal tapes. Loads on eBay, but prices becoming high as they are now sought after as collector's items, rather than for actual use.

The great TDK-SA is not made any more. Fortunately, I bought loads over the last couple of years before that happened. If you see them buy them and stash them away - tape heads love them!

Typically, I chucked a load of TDK-SAs in the bin a few years ago!!!