Oldtax

RPM Problem

Sorry if this has been answered but iv looked high and low and cant seem to find an answer.

basically, my rpm seems to be far to high at idle, 1st and 2nd. this only happened yesterday but i remember this happening years ago with a different car and it appeared to result in a ruined camshaft!

i was driving along fine on the dual carriageway - not going particularly fast. then when i came to a stand still my idle was 1500 rpm. i put the clutch down to go into 1st and the rpm nearly reached 2000. once i engaged 1st the rpm went down to 1500 but then without pressing the accelerator the car started to speed up and the revs went to about 1800. this meant i could change to 2nd without pushing the accelerator. once in second, the car sped up again on it own and i could change to 3rd. after changing to 3rd the car seemed to drive normally - although still quite high in the revs. if i stopped again the same thing kept happening?

any thoughts? im a bit scared to drive it in case i do it permanent or costly damage! any help muchly appreciated.

I had sim problem on my mk1 golf gti and this was an air leak , check and tighten all hoses and clamps around the intake before and after the maf sensor.

maf sensor?! oh yeah.... of course :study:

weird thing is drove it tonight and not a problem at all. how does that work? surely a leak is consistent. worrying.

already looking into the common tools i'll need for DIY - and trying to find out if anything specific for corrado.

the thing that gets me to sleep at night ... my rear spoiler works perfectly!

thanks for the help - really helpful

already looking into the common tools i'll need for DIY

Patience and deep pockets !!!

If you're planning on keeping it for a while and doing the work yourself then for starters get the Bentley manual. And when your budget allows, (assuming you have a late car) get yourself set up with vagcom/ VCDS.

But by far one of the best tools is this website. I've lost count of the times I've trawled the search to find solutions.

Edited by James.

MAF sensor. Mass Air Flow . Between the air filter and intake manifold these can sometimes be tempramentle ! If not an air leak !

Hi there I have noticed you are having possible problem with your MAF sensor , was wondering if you have a vr6 as I have a MAF for sale in the class fields section it's brand new for a VR Rado ? If you need a cheap part that's brand new have a look and see what you think I will email photo of it to you if your interested mate , I'm only selling as its the wrong pin setup for mine and I've got a replacement already so just need to get rid. Let me know :)

otherwise does the car run smooth when you put your foot down? if so i would look at the throttle cable mechanism on the throttle body, rev it by hand and make sure its returning properly , iv had air leaks before and that makes the car run like crap, i guess it depends on how much its leaking though , worth a looksy

edit: also make sure the throttle bodys clean on the inside, just remove the rubber intake boot and look at the flap and clean the sealing surfaces if covered in oil ,

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

the cable is a little loose i think. but, yeah, runs smooth otherwise. took it out this morning and the problem isnt there. cant work that one out!

maybe a ghost in the machine!