quicky1980

Fibreglass Wings and Boots

I may have found a supplier who can do composite wings and boots for the corrado. wings can be either early or late and may even come in a choice of with or without indicator holes but this is still to be confirmed.

[*=1]Wings look to cost around £180 plus delivery costs

[*=1]Boots look to cost around £260 plus delivery costs

If a suitable number of orders are firmed Im sure these costs can be brought down. Im in talks with the supplier on if they can use other materials ie kevlar and carbon fibre.

If this supplier falls through I'm mid talk with another one as a contingency however the costs may be impacted as they dont currently have moulds.

Ill try and keep you updated on how these two leads go.

Also becoming interested if they look and fit exactly like originals.

Is there likely to be any chance of seeing a finished article before committing?

Guys, just to let you know I've not heard of my contact but I put it down to the recent holiday break so if I don't hear anything by Monday Ill chase it up. I wish to stick with this supplier as I know they have the moulds ready even if there is a language barrier with them being German. Also be aware, I am a busy guy and am doing this in what ever spare time I have so dont expect a quick turn around.

I too wish to see the finish article and as with my previous attempts to get this going it fell short at the commitment stage of getting money down for tooling, this new supplier already has moulds so no initial outlay and I doubt any of you would be willing to take the chance (correct me if Im wrong) I may take the chance and buy a pair of wings for myself. I would then be able to say what they are like first hand and then keep them all to myself :p........only kidding, I would obviously post pics and make comments.

If they are good then we move onto the next step of taking orders, if they are bad Ill try and get my money back and look to use my backup supplier.

These parts would be a good alternative to either obsolete new parts or sourcing good condition metal originals.

So far looks like 13 peeps are interested, mixed bag of panels but gives me a ball park figure to say to the supplier the numbers we are looking to get. TBH, if these turn out to be as good as I hope, I won't struggle to find buyers.

VAG-hag, the price should hopefully be for the pair.

Could be in the market for a tailgate, have a few questions but will wait until you hear back off your contact.

only prob with fibreglass panels are they are normaly a crap fit and crack after time especially with most corrado suspension being so hard

VAG-hag, the price should hopefully be for the pair.

Didn't realise that! Definitely interested in wings now.

@ carrots - please tell me more. I'm concerned by your comment. Ive seen plenty of kit cars and fibreglass parts and wasnt aware of them cracking over time. Maybe with a bit more info I can work out if its even worth going any further into this.

Wouldnt the chance of cracking be as likely for plastic or carbon/kevlar panels?

The bonnets have been available in carbon or fibreglass for some time and havent hear of any issues with those.

---------- Post added at 9:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:14 PM ----------

@ DANG60 - please feel free to post your questions. I may not have the answers but I would attempt to get them for you.

@ carrots - please tell me more. I'm concerned by your comment. Ive seen plenty of kit cars and fibreglass parts and wasnt aware of them cracking over time. Maybe with a bit more info I can work out if its even worth going any further into this.

Wouldnt the chance of cracking be as likely for plastic or carbon/kevlar panels?

The bonnets have been available in carbon or fibreglass for some time and havent hear of any issues with those.

---------- Post added at 9:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:14 PM ----------

@ DANG60 - please feel free to post your questions. I may not have the answers but I would attempt to get them for you.

Fibreglass doesn't respond well to extreme in temp's even when it is painted.

i used to do body work years ago and fibreglass panels where always crap.the finish is normaly not very good and it takes a lot of work to make them look right.just look at cars on ebay with body kits fitted.most of them say its cracking,i would stick with metal panels ,you can get good second hand stuff that mite need a little work and will then keep the car original also i bet the panel gaps will look a mess

Edited by carrots

i used to do body work years ago and fibreglass panels where always crap.the finish is normaly not very good and it takes a lot of work to make them look right.just look at cars on ebay with body kits fitted.most of them say its cracking,i would stick with metal panels ,you can get good second hand stuff that mite need a little work and will then keep the car original also i bet the panel gaps will look a mess

Second that:smug: