mlyon89

VR Strange Intermittent Grinding!

Hi guys!

My poor Old rado is suffering from some strange Grinding noise which also slows the car when it happens! I've been in and around the Brakes but cant see anything wrong! i fitted full all round Black diamond discs and pads About a year ago.( I am Formally a mechanic back in the day before i came offshore so i am fairly confident i fitted everything right) but you never know i may have missed smething!

The grinding occurs at the start of every trip and is usual stopped by the time i get out of the housing estate! It grinds 3 or four times then comes alrite and drives fine, It does feel like the brakes coming on then off then on.........

And this is what makes me think it has nothing to do with the brakes it only happens in like 1st and maybe 2nd gear during steady quarter throttle driving!! Which makes me think it could be drivetrain related!

The first time it ever did it the engine wasnt strong enough to pull through it when i was in first gear so it was something major but watever it was originally isnt so bad now!

I checked the gearbox oil level etc plenty in it(Fresh clean oil)

Any help or ideas on what it could be.. much appreciated guys because its starting to do my head in!!!

I had a similar issue coming from the rear of the car and it turned out to be the rear brake was very slightly bound on, after a whjile it had worn the inside pad down and the grinding was the pad backing plate against the disc, sounds like you have checked this but could be worth taking another look just to be sure

Hi thanks for the responses guys!

If it was sticking brakes etc after a long journey you would think the "Sticking/Faulty" Brake would be hot but there all as usual temp after a run!

Heres another thing i totally forgot about, as it does the grinding/Slowing me down when i press the brake pedal it feels solid asif the brakes are already on!haha! Sometimes you drive the car for like a week and it doesnt do nothing! I wish something would just completely break so i know for sure what it is!! Im offshore at the moment so this next time home i'll maybe spend some more time F***ing around with it!

I'll let you's know how i get on!