emu

Work law and time off due to sickness related question.

Basic situations look like that. I had a surgery and got 6 weeks time off afterwards. My doctors sick note clearly says I'm not able to do any work and I need to see doctor before my sick note runs out for consultation if I'm ready to be back to work. Because my wounds not healing well and I already got appointment with doctor and I'm predicting more time off due to pain in a wound etc. but....

In a main time my company is calling me for a meeting between one of the manager, myself and company nurse/doctor. Should I even bother to turn up ?? I gave them my sick note from my doctor. They know what it says. Is that even legal to do so ??

I'm not talking here what is moral to do and what should I do to have good relationship with company as they don't give a **** about their employees and I don't give a **** about them. Just asking what the law say. Was looking threw internet but couldn't really fine anything useful.

Any advice ??

From an HR perspective this sounds like a supportive measure to assess your progress and start looking an appropriate return to work plan which is common for anybody who is long term sick regardless of the reason and will be done alongside a gp fit note. They are just doing things by the book. Its nothing to worry about :)

They are perfectly within their right's to request this it will be in your contract of employment or company handbook (my dad was a trade union studies lecturer)

Arrange for the meeting to be at your home, then your confortable and it emphasizes your still healing state.This is nornal for companies to do though and not a worry,usually its without a doctor though so they must try to catch people milking it.Your genuine thou so dont worry aboit it :).

Thanks, I'm not worried as my sick leave is genuine. I just know they usually bending law a lot.

Where I work there's a defined process for sick leave, and what happens if you're off too many days in a year, or too many times -it can result in formal written warnings and eventually dismissal. It's a cheap way for my company to get rid of people. Hopefully it's not like that where you work, but it sounds like this is a standard procedure so ideally you should know what the process is - just to be on the safe side. If you're a trade union member, I'd strongly recommend getting a union representative to sit it on the meeting with you - just to make sure the company are doing things correctly. Obviously, genuine sickness shouldn't be a problem and in theory the company will just be doing this to support you and see if there's anything they can do to help, etc - but in my experience that's not exactly what happens.

Where I work there's a defined process for sick leave, and what happens if you're off too many days in a year, or too many times -it can result in formal written warnings and eventually dismissal. It's a cheap way for my company to get rid of people. Hopefully it's not like that where you work, but it sounds like this is a standard procedure so ideally you should know what the process is - just to be on the safe side. If you're a trade union member, I'd strongly recommend getting a union representative to sit it on the meeting with you - just to make sure the company are doing things correctly. Obviously, genuine sickness shouldn't be a problem and in theory the company will just be doing this to support you and see if there's anything they can do to help, etc - but in my experience that's not exactly what happens.

Mine is even worst, I got final written warning for being sick in the past, it included time off after last surgery 2 years ago. I did appeal and 2 union members come with me on appeal meeting but company did what they want. They just don,t care about anybody.

I'd question why you pay into the union if they can't fight your corner !

I'd also make sure the meeting is documented, witnessed, there's a clear agenda and all minutes are circulated within seven days of the meeting.

The company may just want to ascertain how long you're off for, so they can provide support, cover etc. But it's always prudent to cover your back.

As above have said. Not attending will give them reason to start managing you for sickness leave and the possibility of dismissal.

I'd question why you pay into the union if they can't fight your corner !

I'd also make sure the meeting is documented, witnessed, there's a clear agenda and all minutes are circulated within seven days of the meeting.

The company may just want to ascertain how long you're off for, so they can provide support, cover etc. But it's always prudent to cover your back.

There is no fight to be fought they are adhering to the law,as regarding the meeting being documented they will probably ask you if you would like anyone to attend the meeting with you (witness) but don't be surprised if they do the same and you will probably have to sign a document outlining what was discussed etc it is just routine but it can look like they are putting alot of effort into it but it is nothing to worry about mate they are just doing it correctly.

Seems everyone is hyping this up,its nowt to worry about.If company policy is disciplinary for too much time it would have nothing to do with this anyway,it would be done when your back at work. Just show how bad you are and dont seem really chirpy and itll be fine :)

As an employer myself, with a company of 20 staff I can say that the proceedure is normal and I wouldnt panic, we do this too.