P3rks

VR6 Head rebuild - Where to buy the parts and what makes are recommended?

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my VR6 cylinder head.

I'll be using a late OBD2 Golf VR6 cylinder head with my 2.9 cams. I've been told that the heads are the same performance wise but the later golf heads have a improved oil chamber? Is this true?

I have a metal Sharan headgasket (021 103 383 N ), re-newing all the tappets for VW ones and using ARP head bolts.

But..

What valve stem seals are recommended and where to buy them from?

What valve stems are recommended? (I have seen: http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/VR6+ventilfuehrung+konisch.htm - thoughts?)

Any input would be awesome! :)

I'm pretty sure obd2 has a large oil way for the top chain. I saw a set of elring valve stem seals for £18 on eurocar parts site or ebay..one of the two. However I would use elring or reinze if poss.

I bought a set of valve stems from eBay for £140 they were Italian ones and not ferra I will post the make later and the sellers details need to find the boxes with all the info which are at my folks .

I'm pretty sure obd2 has a large oil way for the top chain. I saw a set of elring valve stem seals for £18 on eurocar parts site or ebay..one of the two. However I would use elring or reinze if poss.

I was thinking Genuine, Elring or Victor Reinz.. Found a couple on eBay but buying car parts on eBay is always my last call.

I bought a set of valve stems from eBay for £140 they were Italian ones and not ferra I will post the make later and the sellers details need to find the boxes with all the info which are at my folks .

So those i put a link up for don't seem too bad?

These are cheap, but Febi quality?

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/corrado_valvetrain.php

I don;t trust Febi that much if I'm honest. they are cheap and good, but longevity I'm unsure of, they are hit and miss.

Give Mal @ VEGE a ring!

Karl picked up a recon head for £229 delivered from them ;)

Done! And none in stock, I'm awaiting a call back. :)

Not to hijack, but my vr6 block was put together with kolbenscmidt rings and crankshaft and main bearings, are these good? I am asking because the engine is still apart . Thanks

Not to hijack, but my vr6 block was put together with kolbenscmidt rings and crankshaft and main bearings, are these good? I am asking because the engine is still apart . Thanks

I think they are the manufacturer for the OEM vw part

Cant find the seller on ebay as i cant access my account the valves though are made by osvat

Inlet UV39372

Outlet UV39300.

What are the best bolt to use for the head other than ARP, can get a bilstein set for £30 from euro carparts

---------- Post added at 3:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:27 PM ----------

Looking at the link its £100 for the valve stem guides and £450 for the schrick valves, i think you need a rather large press to put the valve guides in.

Why is everyone replacing valve guides? Surely thats only necessary if the engines been starved of oil?

Interested to see what comes out of this.

Very much in a similar situation and need to either get my old head rebuilt, buy new or wait for a big valve head to come up for sale.

On a slight side note, I'll likely have a new set of Victor Reinz Valve Stem Seals up for sale shortly. Seem to come with a complete head gasket set but I never end up using them.

Why is everyone replacing valve guides? Surely thats only necessary if the engines been starved of oil?

Just wear and tear.. The cylinder head is a job I only want to do once!

Interested to see what comes out of this.

Very much in a similar situation and need to either get my old head rebuilt, buy new or wait for a big valve head to come up for sale.

On a slight side note, I'll likely have a new set of Victor Reinz Valve Stem Seals up for sale shortly. Seem to come with a complete head gasket set but I never end up using them.

Let me know how much you want for the seals please!

Because they ovalise (especially the exhaust ones) and valves that rock in their guides accelerate guide seal wear.

But obviously it's only worth the bother if they are actually worn out though. VW use soft guides, so it's highly likely they will be worn on 100K+ old motors.

I would only use dealer guides and seals personally, or maybe high quality aftermarket guides, but definitlely VW seals.

Because they ovalise (especially the exhaust ones) and valves that rock in their guides accelerate guide seal wear.

But obviously it's only worth the bother if they are actually worn out though. VW use soft guides, so it's highly likely they will be worn on 100K+ old motors.

I would only use dealer guides and seals personally, or maybe high quality aftermarket guides, but definitlely VW seals.

Ah I see. Also i'm a little disappointed that you sold out to do those mobile network ads ;(