Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

2.0 bottom end on a 1.8

i've heard this is a good mod, and a 2.0 bottom end should be fairly cheap, so what should i be looking for? and is it worth the effort?

You need a engine from either a corrado or passat engine code 9a as these will fit easily with minor mods.You can also use the bottom end from 2l 16v audis which are engine code 6a but these need a few alterations.

which of the two is likely to give me better results then? or are they both about the same? I'd have thought the mk3 would be a better choice being newer and likely to have less miles on it....?

depends who you ask, and also how far you are going to take your mods. I would expect that a abf with kr cams and k-jet management would have more toqure and therefore more power than a 9a in the same position. the difference is longer con rods. The longer con rods could be seen as a weakness if you are turboing. I know a guy who has a rally golf, had a 6a but changed to the abf for the better torque.

cant really see me going the turbo route, so the torquier (spelling?!) abf sounds like the one for me! just got to get my hands on one :wink:

I'd have thought the mk3 would be a better choice being newer and likely to have less miles on it....?

My MK3 16V has 160K on it, It is a better motor than the 9A and KR, it puts out 150bhp std. Thats with a soft inlet cam for emissions.

It averages over 35 MPG which I really like too.

Gavin

I can certainly agree with that! I got nearly 49 MPG on a long run once, although I was driving like a jew!

9A all the way :)

sorry but i personally think the ABF block is crap its has longer weaker rods and ive never seen one that can produce good power

Also my mate had a ABF engine in his corrado and the min it got a bit of crap stuck in the fuel line (i.e wasnt fueling perfectly) the pistons cracked like a crips they use weaker materials in those engines.

Ive seen 9A bottom ends on 1.8 kr heads produce 160-170bhp straight of without trying and alot of ABF guys only get that when they do a bit of work to them

i guess its what ur used to but i would stay clear of a ABF bottom end

I'd have thought the mk3 would be a better choice being newer and likely to have less miles on it....?

My MK3 16V has 160K on it, It is a better motor than the 9A and KR, it puts out 150bhp std. Thats with a soft inlet cam for emissions.

Gavin

ABF's do give good power in standard and modified form, but I'd say in theory they would be less inclined to rev as they have a longer stroke, the injection system is better in standard form(fully electronic injection) too although the cams are very similar to the KR ones and better than the flat inlet of the 6A/9A.

A 6A (audi block) should be the cheapest and easiest route though, as there are more around (good 9A's are pretty scarce) and they have basically the same injection system as the KR. The 6A block is so much like the 9A it should be a very easy replacement for the KR - Well I know it is as I'm doing it now myself!, only a couple of minor items to sort out, oil filter/crankcase breather housing and sump pan/oil filter pickup.

David.

apparently ABF cams have more lift and less duration to a kr set,

try this site:

http://www.gvk-motorsport.co.uk/

he's a Club GTI forum regular and there's loads of threads on GLUB GTI about 2.0 ABF/9A/6A conversions and power and torque people get.

David.

You need a engine from either a corrado or passat engine code 9a as these will fit easily with minor mods.You can also use the bottom end from 2l 16v audis which are engine code 6a but these need a few alterations.

What mods will i need to do to the 9a bottom end...??? Also my car is quite ticky should i do some work to the head and if so what.....??

My 1.8 is starting to eat oil........... :cry:

Cheers

if its eating oil doesnt mena the bottom end has gone

usually meeans valve stem seals are shwoing their age

others could be leaking head gasket and maybe piston rings

As for the 9A engine to go into a 1.8 16v head its a striaght bolt on :) only have to cut one of the littl eguides at the back of the enigne and its not a important bit

aposegil,

Yep but i thought i might as well put a 2L in it while i am at it......would you not bother...??

Do you know what the 9a will rev up 2...??

Cheers

aposegil,

Yep but i thought i might as well put a 2L in it while i am at it......would you not bother...??

Do you know what the 9a will rev up 2...??

Cheers

true u go tme there :)

also my engine revs upto 8000rpm but ive set a limiter on 7500, but then my engine is fuly balanced so it can do that

Now my mate with the 2L bottom end and 1.8 16v head pulls all the way to the limiter which i think is 7250??

aposegil,

Exellent didn't want to lose the revs thats the best bit :lol:

What should i do head wise....as mine is ticky...should i get it reconditioned...??

Cheers

i suggest u get the valves reseated and the stem seals redone

tappets should be fine once give a good wash and maybe a new timing chain if there is and slack

And if you want to open up the porting a little bit that should be fine aswell

at the end of it all you should be seeing about 160-170bhp :) maybe more

aposegil,

That sort of power would be blinding........... :D

Any idea on how much that sort of work would cost...??

Would trie porting abit to 8)

cost all depends who u take it to and how much u give them

Like for my mate we took the head completey apart and for £150 they put it back together and did all the seals and grinding for us :)

Power wise its all down to the engine im happy that mine produe 185bhp on the k-jet and then 191bhp on the DTA but then mines had alot of work done :)

aposegil,

Any chance of getting the number for the bloke that did the work...??? :)

Did you put the exhuast cam in too...??

mate i think it would be cheaper for u to find some one local as shipping the head to london would run up the costs

also what exhuast cam u talking about?

aposegil,

Heared of some one putting a exhuast cam in they said it was a good mod for a 2 L

Going to get a price soon for the bottom end from my local vw breakers.

Can you buy kits that have all the new big end bearing and pision ring in ....etc Would like to know the engine won't die after 100 miles of fitting it !!

I would never use a second hand block from a breaker without at least stripping it down and checking it for wear BEFORE installing in the car.... saves alot of hassle.

Good experience too.

Scott

Scott,

Would like to strip it down first make it look brand new and replace all the pision rings etc but there well expensive well they are for a 1.8 last time i looked....... :(

I need to recondition my head too but will pay somw one to do that.

ive heard about this exhuast cam on the inlet side and i dont think its worth it

I remember seaking to AMD a while back and they tried out this exhuast cam and driving the car it felt like it gave the car this huge increase but once on the rollers they found that the car was underpowered from 1000-3500 rpm and then when the cams kicked in it produced the same sort of power as standard inlets

So i really havent looked into it much more, personally like i said before my mate is running a 1.8 16v head and cams on a 2L 16v bottom end and the car driver f-ing well and he uses all of the power band all the time :D ;)

Also for bottom end bearing and oil pump my engine uses diesel turbo items as they are meant to be stronger :D

And as for kits I knwo you can get head gasket kits :) with all valve stem seals etc but as for bottom end kit im not sure