Sign in to follow this  
SSS

VR6 Speed...........

I am looking for a VR6 and just took an L reg one with 110 k on the clock for a run. It didn't impress that much, I was expected real power - I heard these will give an Imprezza a good rip?

Maybe I just tested a bad example?

Also - I ran it up from cold to hot, and the water in the resovoir was bubbling like mad. Usually I would suspect a head problem, or is this normal in VR6s?

I would leave that one, the VR6 engine is very reliant on all the ECU sensors and it sould like at least one of those is dead causing it to be down on power, also the coolant should not boil!

I think VR6's are deceptively quick, I only know get a feel for the speed by watching how quickly the cars disappear in the rear view mirror (well except for using the speedo :p ). Theres no way the coolant should boil like that tho- obviously something not right there :?

They never feel quick when you first drive them, the gearning os too long, and the engine sounds so mad you never tend to rev it enough on a first go.

have another goa d just ring it's neck, then you''ll see how quick it can be.

..and remember VR6s have a very smooth, progressive power delivery, so if you're used to cars with peaky power ranges and expect a 'punch in the back' as you hit the power range...you won't.. it just pulls and pulls..

...you'll just be going faster than you expect...

I have been keen on a Corrado for a few years, only doing something about it now though.

Think it best to test a few to get a better idea. Reading through forums and news groups they seem to be an expensive past time though!

Was there any difference between VR6 models on L, M and N (cept for Storm)?

Nope.. they didn't really change em at all. Only differences were options such as (heated) leather, or alloy wheels.. but they are all pretty much identical.

What do you mean by what are they good to? Top speed / performance you mean, or their reliability?

If you mean top speed.. well 0-60 is 6.3'ish seconds (depending on which magazine you read) and top speed is 150MPH.. though the flip side of this is that its group 18 insurance (19 for storm - one for Roddy!!) and its not a particularly frugal car.

As for reliability.. well... its not exactly common for a VR6 to pack up and leave you stranded at the side of the road.. but is common for it to develop annoying faults! And there are some expensive jobs you need to be looking at once you hit the 100,000 mile barrier.. not essential but, you are perhaps living on borrowed time if you dont!

£4000 should get you one in pretty good condition, with probably what most people might consider high miles.. you should try and stretch to £5000 though if you can! :)

What should 5k get? The one I looked at today was 110 k for £5100, but open to offers. What kind of mileage should you expect for 5k?

It depends really.. i'd just hammer Autotrader and see. Prices are up and down quite on these cars - they have had a bit of a revival since the Top Gear article on them. £5000 should get you a nice 100,000 mile (or less) car with full history quite comfortably!

Also keep your eyes open on our For Sale forum - cars do come up for sale quite often - you might also want to message Mike Edwards about the one he is considering selling from his fleet of 4 Corrado's! :)

""They never feel quick when you first drive them"" as Phat VR6 said is so true.. ive had one for over 8months now and i was starting to think it was slow till i took one of my m8's out the other day and he started screeming lmao could not belive it...(he dose drive a 1l punto tho).

VR's tend to spring up now and then just like mine did and i will never regret it (Imprezza lol) :D

Hope you find a good one.....m8

The black VR6 - either standard or with everything still on it.

Don't be put off by the mileage, it was motorway use mostly. The brakes and suspension bushes have all been replaced in the last 2 years.

In its current form it managed 215bhp on AMD's rolling road last month.

I think you'll find it's quick enough... :D

Kev - if you still want the chipped ECU and gas-flowed throttlebody....

Nope.. they didn't really change em at all. Only differences were options such as (heated) leather, or alloy wheels.. but they are all pretty much identical.

Remember reading somewhere that in 1995 the VR was given a slightly wider track and a minor remap. Not sure about this though :?

The 95 VR also uses the OBD-2 style four-pin thin-film MAF sensor...

Not so sure about the suspension tweaks, I thought the wider track was common across *all* the VRs from day one. The so-called "plus" suspension kit.

i picked one up from autotrader for £5500 with 63000 and fvwsh!!! bargains are out there to be had.

had it 6 weeks now and no problems apart from the sunroof :mad: , fuel consumption :shock: , and the fact that i have nearly lost my licence more times than i can count :oops:

get searching