Smiithy

2.0 16v bike carb build. Slow but steady progress.

Good luck picking her up mate. Enjoy the drive home! I'm sure you don't want to hear this but my clutch went on the way home when I collected mine just before I got home. Wasn't funny at the time but every time I look back at it now it tickles me immensely.

Cheers mate, well its the reason ive brought one, things like that arent to bad, clutch for a rado is 120 ish, clutch for my old bora was 750!

Looks mint mate! I agree with coilovers too, need to wack some on mine too! As for wheels, I think borbet A's and Schmidt Modern Lines look awsome, and the wheels on your Bora are similar to Dare Motorsports BBS replicas, available in 16" and staggered!

They where calibre vintage mate, the dare reps are awefull, seen some right horror stories with them splitting etc.

Looking forward to getting stuck in, After all of the above should be a really spot on car. Then when i get bonus at end of this month it needs a cold start valve and steering rack then its ready for a few little mods :)

Get the base car spot on first though!

240 miles done in it already, not missed a beat, great car i must say bar its few age related issues (leaky rack and cold start issues)!

Morning guys,

Thought it was about time to start updating my build and making a proper thread of it so I have extra imput of all you guys who may have done similar before and as a record of what I have done.

So the corrado as you can see below in its previous guises started to annoy me with leaking KE-jet heads etc.

First Guise when I put my stamp on it (sorry if pics repeated)

DSC_8337_8_9_fused_zpse0f1a9bf.jpg

DSC_8358_59_60_fused_zps99c94e3a.jpg

DSC_8328_29_30_fused_zps2cc4d495.jpg

DSC_8292_zpsb6c42c73.jpg

Seccond Guise (borbet wheels instead of fake bbs)

904524_513063578730281_1881703251_o_zps1d5278d1.jpg

964267_548343735204498_2005776834_o_zps48dbb08f.jpg

So this happened because of KE-jet messing me about

20131127_212527_zpsd53ec34f.jpg

From here I plan to make abit of a N/A fast road / track car.

Plans

-2.0 stock 9a bottom end (as I know its in very good tight order)

-KR head, ported and fully rebuilt and skimmed

-ABF inlet , KR exhaust cam. (will be making my own vernier pulley at work)

-Megajolt Ignition

-R1 carbs

-Upper and lower front strut braces

-Rear strut brace

-Volk Racing C ultra 3 spoke wheels in 16x7 and 16x8

-MK3 Golf GTI rear beam, polybushed

-Full widetrack MK3 GTI front set up.

-G60 clutch plus other maintenance items.

Rear brace installed :

20131110_103924_zps33f2801e.jpg

Volk lightweight wheels:

volkrims_zps86d2f316.jpg

Colour Wheels and bay accents will be going (comments welcome)

20140118_150928_zps00758393.jpg

20140118_151049_zpsf4435370.jpg

Thanks for looking, Comments, criticisms and advice very welcome.

Yeah made it in work on a cnc mill for hole positions and a lathe for final sizing etc. Easy enough. Not worth the 160 notes they cost dude.

Oh and i made it due to the head having a heavy ish skim, so timing will be out, also i hear a little advance is good, especially with a higher comp / bike carb engine.

Edited by Smiithy

Envy guys that can do this stuff at work!

Stupid question probably but what's the advantage of bike carbs over the standard injection system and are they a difficult modification to carry out?

Car looks great btw.

Well main advantage is power due to more surface area to suck air in. 4 x 45mm intakes rathrr than the single throttle on the injection.

Disadvantages are bad economy and probably not gna be all that reliable but its a weekend car so that is by the by.

Other advantages, cheaper than does, looks good. Sound awesome.

And as a mod they are simple. Ive just gone mad and am doing literally everything. Megajolt ignition/full head rebuild etc.

Main reason im doing it is because I keep having metering heads dying being a ke-jet not the 1.8k-jet they are harder and more pricey to find. Sick of the electronic crap letting the car down do it had to go. Ideally would of like webbers but considering the r1 carbs dont drop out of tune as much and are 100notes rather than 400/800 depending on what n what condition webbers are it makes most financial sence.

Dont usually get to do it at work just been unusually quiet. Thanks mate.

Nice project, Red has always been one of my fave colours for the Corrado, looks good and should sound well when up and running again.

Ideally would of like webbers but considering the r1 carbs dont drop out of tune as much

People only have issues with webers when they have worn/tired spindles etc, otherwise they shouldn't ever need constant adjustment or tweaking. Cost wise though it's a fair point, they can be pricey! Problem with bike carbs is the harsh throttle (Hard to get a good tickover etc) but as a weekend toy who cares:cool:

Ahh hoping megajolt ignition and all the adjuments that can make will help tickover. Heard of that issue but from talking to some mates into fords as r1 on a pinto is comon too. They all seem to be having no issues. Idle jets? Never heard of a dub running different sizes but the ford guys change them?

Aye, the megajolt will certainly help mate. And regards the jetting and whatnot, it's a case of suck it and see (Excuse the pun) you can always run a small drill bit through the butterflys to help with tickover if need be. Be good to see this, as I don't think there are enough N/A carbed Corrado's (My fave setup):thumbleft:

What was the date of first registration of your C? If it's post 1st Jan 92 you'll need the cat on it which is going to exclude you from running carbs as you won't be able to run a cat (without destroying it).

You'd be better off going bike ITBs and proper management, with a trigger wheel and sensor from a Polo on the gearbox end of the crank. That way you can run a cat AS WELL as having better running characteristics from injection, too.