Smiithy

2.0 16v bike carb build. Slow but steady progress.

I'd still fit ITBs - more power, over a larger rev-range and probably significantly better economy!

Even if you don't fit ITBs - get hold of the Polo trigger wheel and fit it with the sensor whilst you're all stripped down - the crank signal will be useful to MegaJolt and help you map the ignition accurately.

Do the wheels weigh 6kg or 7kg? The difference between the two is the difference between a light wheel and a really light wheel!

Sebrings stagger in at 9.9kg!!

Fronts weigh just over 6 and rears just under 7 as they are 16 x 7/8.

The megajolt uses mainly ford edis parts so a 36/1 trigger wheel will be fitted to the outter belt pulley and a ford crank sensor for ease of megjolt as its got all the ford bits with it.

See how it goes. Ive looked over alot of stuff and I think I should be on for a fun car for a while untill I want more power..

Problem with the trigger on the end of the crank like that is it's in all the filth etc. £10 says the Polo one will be 36:1 I think I have one on the shelf - I'll look it out and confirm. It's a straight replacement for the crank seal assembly.

Never could understand people running wider rear tyres on a front drive car. :shrug:

-ABF inlet , KR exhaust cam. (will be making my own vernier pulley at work)

Thanks for looking, Comments, criticisms and advice very welcome.

Very nice Corrado, and makes a change sticking with the 16v.

Regarding the cams have a read of this thread http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?156126-A-VW-16v-camshaft-study

I would, and indeed have use both ABF cams.

Mines a 9a with a KR head, ABF cams and Toyota ITBs. A bit of a mixture, but it works :)

On a dyno known to be pessimistic it achieved this

Phil_Corrado16v_9A_head_ITBS_pwr_tq_zps55a0d2da.jpg

That sounds lovely. Any vids? I love the carb noice!

Im going kr exhaust as when u look into lift and duration the 027 exhaust series is more aggressive. The combo is the best 2 16v stock cams I could find for lift vs duration.

Being megajolt I need a crank sensor and making a bracket in place of the dizzy to hold the coil pack for an oem look. Got it cheap so made sense over electronic advance dizzy as theres alot more scope for a smoother ignition curve.

I think if it all comes together it will be fun enough.

Have a read of post #19 on the thread I linked to. It shows a comparison between kr and abf cams, someone measured the lift and duration using professional equipment. Abf has more lift and similar duration to kr.

That dyno tends to read a bit lower than others.

For instance power from a car which ran on this dyno (Garage Streamline) was 194bhp, it then made 202bhp at tsr. It's all a bit of a lottery and dependent on so many variables.

If you apply that ratio mine would make 192bhp at tsr, and the yellow one 258bhp at tsr. Having said that the yellow one did require further mapping and unfortunately suffered detonation on a track day causing some serious damage. It's now re-built!

Yeah one of those dynos that break your heart!

Anyway, more progress this weekend, finished painting the box, begun stripping the loom and cleaning the bay.

The exciting bit, pics...

20140202_133913_zpsamsxjpyz.jpg

20140202_133856_zpserwdri6q.jpg

20140202_132414_zps88grxknk.jpg

20140202_132411_zpskrqwqarj.jpg

20140202_132407_zpswstad5dw.jpg

Made up a quick distributor "plug" / bracket for my coil pack today, trying to keep it all OEM positions. Quite happy with the outcome.....

20140204_161135_zpsoz1dyobc.jpg

20140204_161129_zpsmufkvndm.jpg

Thanks mate :thumbleft:

Think I might tidy it up some more and take abit of meat out of it yet but Ill have to see.

So, an update finally...

Corrado is officially in its new home.

20140303_130450_zpsrxtzrtzv.jpg

Started stripping the loom down further....

20140305_195427_zps3zy0agah.jpg

To find this....

20140305_192212_zpscay4oieg.jpg

20140305_192220_zpsrgqhtw2w.jpg

20140305_192247_zpsmlgciqlo.jpg

Any ideas what my un-used, half botched together wires are for? could they just be un-used generic loom or has it been faffed about with. The wires into the "plugs" are from the battery and go through the bulkhead below the ecu loom. the triple fuse holder is also between the battery and the un-used plugs.

Thanks for looking.