jpowell79

lack of power, car stuttering - likely cuprits?

Car started stuttering on me on the way to work this morning. Even more annoying I had a young kid in a fiesta ST right on my arse, and couldn't pull away because of the problems!

Deosn't seem to matter what gear its in how how many reves I give it.....its just jumps about like a bucking bronco!

Power comes on for a few seconds, then a loss of power.....and the pattern repeats every 3-4 seconds.

Will have to dig out my ODB reader and try and get some codes on it tonight.... anyone got any ideas of the likely culprits?

MAF? Throttle Body? Fuel Filter? Plugs?

bloody car!

had a similar issue to this but eventually mine stopped running, i presume this happens once the car is warm?

Mine turned out to be the blue temp sensor causing overfueling......i could be totally wrong but it would appear common

rob

could be the plug leads, or it could be the maff, coilpack? , unplug your maff and check the connection aint damp , mine had a tendancy to get damp and cause running problems because of the way the cable was routed it would allow water to flow into the plug..

It'll be the MAF...

Almost certainly, that or a vacuum leak. Check the corrugated PCV pipework and the inlet elbow.

Assuming it's not bucking because of a misfire, that is! If so it's most likely coilpack.

Stone

I got VAGCOM on it last night and it gave me this code:

1 Fault Found:

00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal

I did start up the engine first, as I read elsewhere that you get this code every time, if the car isn't started..... anyhow the car started up.....soulded like it was over-revving on idle.....then started chugg for a few seconds, before it died completely.

I cleared the code so that I could make 100% sure it was this......but after that the car won't start at all :-(

Looking at the codes it says its an engine speed sensor fault.

Is this the same thing as the crank sensor? Any suggestions on where it is? and how I get to it? I'm looking at the bentley manual and can't find any reference to it in the crankshaft section (13.27) but would assume its somewhere near the coilpack?

Is this what I would need to replace? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Corrado-2-9I-91-95-Crank-Sensor-/300599213897?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45fd1bff49

...that's assuming that is this the problem....as looking at the replies it could be a number of things!

ISV....is this the same thing as an idle control valve? - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Idle-control-valve-VR6-eng-VW-Corrado-Golf-Passat-Vento-/230841860017?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bf3f3fb1

Never had any experience with one of those so not sure how complicated that would be to fit either.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

See my thread here for another alternative.

Gonna change the fuel filter as well, as it's never been changed since I've had the car, and I've done at least 15k miles since I've had it. Not sure if it will fix the problem, but worth doing anyways. cheers

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

one other thing... if it was the ISV, MAF, blue temp sensor, or coilpack, wouldn't I be getting a different error code on VAGCOM....or doesn't it matter?

The link you posted is the crank sensor, yes. I changed mine with no effect on my particular problem. However, I think the engine speed is taken from the cam sensor which is tucked behind the coil pack. It's easy to change and I have a spare one I can send you for a few quid if you want it.

I would have thought that if the cam sensor is for the engine speed and it is faulty then your engine probably wouldn't run at all which may now be happening.

I think you should change you fuel filter for sure since it's not been done for a while and then see what happens. I doubt your ISV has anything to do with it or it would at least start up and probably run ok at speed.

The link you posted is the crank sensor, yes. I changed mine with no effect on my particular problem. However, I think the engine speed is taken from the cam sensor which is tucked behind the coil pack. It's easy to change and I have a spare one I can send you for a few quid if you want it.

I would have thought that if the cam sensor is for the engine speed and it is faulty then your engine probably wouldn't run at all which may now be happening.

I think you should change you fuel filter for sure since it's not been done for a while and then see what happens. I doubt your ISV has anything to do with it or it would at least start up and probably run ok at speed.

I was thinking along the same lines about the MAF.... surely it would at least run if the MAF was faulty (albeit badly)....or would a faulty MAF cause a complete non-starter?

Will change the fuel filter tomorrow....if it makes no difference then I'll have the crank sensor off you....how much were you thinking?

If you unplug the MAF and go for a spin, it should be immediately obvious if its at fault, as performance and response will be far better! Your MPG will nose dive, and it may cut out eventually when the engine warms up, but you should get an idea. Idle should be fine with it disconnected. I think crank sensors generally give in when the engine is warm too. If you can identify it, give it a little wiggle on the connector where it enters the lump. This is the area that has the most stress, and with constant hot and cold exposure, they get very brittle, and the insulation breaks down causing the wires to short.

From that post it seems the crank sensor will stop the car from running, not the cam as I thought.

Still, worth a punt as you say.

PM sent.

---------- Post added at 5:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:04 PM ----------

From that post it seems the crank sensor will stop the car from running, not the cam as I thought.

Still, worth a punt as you say.

PM sent.

It should run without the MAF.

I was thinking £10 delivered, how's that?

Hi,

apologies for hijacking the thread, but ive been having similar issues with the same report in VAG COM regards the engine speed sensor. I unplugged the MAF to see how that was, but with the MAF unplugged the engine wouldn't start? Any thoughts to point me in the right direction?

VAG Com will give the speed sensor code if the engine isn't running.

Was it running while you read the code?

I didn't think the MAF was such a critical item that the engine won't run without it since mine runs without it.

I would suspect that you have a problem somewhere else and the lack of air intake data to the CPU causes it not to run.

For example: if your engine runs lean or rich and the CPU can compensate with air data then it may be under or over fuelling when no data is present.

That not necessarily how it works but just a suggestion.

changed the crank sensor and the cam sensor and the fuel filter and won't start at all. Got the RAC to pop out and the guy thinks it's the fuel filter.

Looks like I will have to search the threads on how to sort this one out!

anyone got a cheap fuel pump going?

if not, anyone know the part number?

(also a link to a fuel pump swap guide would be nice!)

I take it you mean the fuel pump is suspect?

It's easy to change. Access from the boot under the carpet. I can't quite remember exactly how to do it but you'll figure it out.

You undo both fuel pipes, careful as a little bit of fuel will come out. Unscrew the black colour - may need a large screw driver and hammer to knock it round to loosen it a bit. Remove it along with the lid and rubber seal. The white lid is connected to the fuel pump with pipes, but you should be able to move it out of the way to get your hand in the tank. then you twist the fuel pump about 90 degrees, maybe not even that and it should come off the bottom of the tank - how hard it'll be to do that i dont know. Cos on mine it too me a while to do it, for others its been easy.

Also obviously do it with as little fuel in the tank as possible.

I had similar symptoms and same error code after driving around a very snowy/slushy roads in Scotland last week. Turned out the connector for the engine speed sensor (just below the 3 coolant temp sensors) had managed to get water in it. Dried it out thoroughly with a hair drier and its all fine again.

Might be worth a shot before spending any more money.

can anyone confirm this will definitely 100% be the right pump for a '95 VR6? (think the later models need to be VDO?)

The compatibility checker seems to think it will, but have been caught out with these before!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETROL-PUMP-ELECTRIC-VW-CORRADO-GOLF-MK-3-III-1H-1E-MK-4-IV-1E-1-6-2-9-/380580206078?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars%20Type%3A2.8%20VR6&hash=item589c5915fe&_uhb=1

also.... my petrol tank is currently full! what's the easiest way of emptying it before I get started?

cheers

Don't worry about the full tank buddy, it's attached to the top if I remember right.

Can't tell you which is the right pump though, ring the dealer!

Don't worry about the full tank buddy, it's attached to the top if I remember right.

Can't tell you which is the right pump though, ring the dealer!

Fuel pump is sat inside the tank???

THere's only 2 pump Piersburg and VDO, its the VDO you want :)