Sign in to follow this  
Leavon

suspension advice needed....

I've currently got the C dropped 30mm on a Koni TA and Eibach spring setup and find the ride to be pretty harsh around town even though I've got the Konis on their softest setting. I originally wanted H&R springs but they were on back order for quite a while so I went with Eibachs, I was just wondering if H&Rs are significantly more compliant and whether it would be worth replacing the Eibachs?

Cheers,

They are definetly more compliant. I use to have the eibach's and they shock the car to bits. H&R's nearly ride like standard suspension. Well worth the extra couple of pounds.

Yeah, I had to wait a while for the H&R's and thought about Eibachs as they were also about £50 cheaper but I was warned against them...

Overall i'm very pleased with my setup, Koni TA's with the H&R's, they are a bit 'bouncy' on uneven roads but get a nice country road with a few bends and its fantastic!

Bouncy? Shouldn't be if you have dialled in enough damping resistance.

Agreed on the Eibachs, also used to have some. Horrid springs.

K

Bouncy? Shouldn't be if you have dialled in enough damping resistance.

Well, Yeah, I havn't adjusted them at all yet from what Stealth recommended as I want to break them in / get used to them but maybe try a different setting on the way back if I go to Stanford Hall this w/e, overall the ride is pretty similar to yours Kev, as expected. 8)

i have the koni TA's with the stock springs cuz i cant afford the h&r's right now but it still rides pretty nice.

Update: I've just been to pick the car up after having the H&R's fitted and the mechanic told me that he didn't think the shocks on the front were set to the same damping rates as one was a lot firmer than the other, I thought this odd as I was pretty sure that I had them both all set to their softest setting. Anyway I checked with the key when I got home and sure enough they were both set fully soft but when pushing down on the wings the drivers side was a lot softer, you can feel the difference between firm and soft on the drivers side but on the passenger side the diffence is much more subltle, more like hard and harder. Have I got a knackered shock? This might explain the slightly unpredictable handling that I've experienced on occasion. She's just cost me £900 :cry: I hope it doesn't get any worse.

cheers,

L.

Yep, the passenger one is knackered. Koni will replace it. You'll get a pair if they're old enough, or just one if it's a recent damper.

K

Just spoken to Koni, and they have agreed to replace the deffective shock, no proof of purchase, nothing. Should be with me on Monday. At last a company with customer service :D

No I didn't, but to be honest it would be a bit of a hassle for me to get over there, my cars back in my local garage next week to have a recon starter motor fitted so I'll get them to fit it then, I shouldn't notice it too much with the 11 hours of labour already on the bill :(

Jeez.. Did you GSF the starter motor? They sell genuine Bosch refurbs for around £100. Very good quality stuff.

The one I got was a £100 recon one so I assume it's the same. Apparently recon one are the only one available nowadays?

I suspect VW might have stocks of new ones, after all, it's the same motor as the later cars, IIRC. But most third party people only deal with recon units, yep.

The springs and the new shock are now on and the difference is amazing, it's still firm but it doesn't crash over potholes like it used to. I can actually dial in some damping and retain a civil ride, if only I'd waited for the H&R's 2 years ago! And the new starter motor seems to have done the trick, starts without hesitation now. She's getting a nice long run up to the lake district this afternoon, can't wait :D

Thanks for the advice folks.

L.

just for future reference how much r the koni TA's? bought the car in november and its got a gmax kit on it, can be harsh at times