petemcr

Engine bay clicking noise when under load

as per the tittle my VR6 has started to make the above sound

Seems to be ok sometimes, sounds like it's infront of the bulk head and it seems to be under load when it starts to do it, but once it starts it carrys on till the car comes to idle, then goes for a while then comes back, also notice it runs a bit crap when it's doing it then sorts itself out.

I took it to a garage and they've pointed out the gearbox mount is leaking and it could be that, which ties in because you can hear it thud, but does this tie in with the clicking noise? it's like either the exhaust is letting out exhaust or something is catching

Anyone got any ideas?

Chains were done in 2009, think it had done 170k or so when they were done

It's really weird because it goes, it will come back when you're in like 4th gear on a hill and it's smelling a bit rich from the exhaust, but it has always smelt like that

Pinking? Happens more noticeably at low-to-mid revs in high gears with your foot down .. ?

Yep, you nailed it

It's alright in low gears but if you put your foot down or try putting it down in 3/4th, it starts

Definitley sort the gear box mount as this could cause the other mounts to wear pre-maturely. Also what fuel do you use? Standard unleaded? I will only ever put super in my VR or KR Engined Corrado's

Yeah Paul is quite correct I only use super in mine if you have to use normal unleaded use an octane booster with it but what you pay for that you might as well have got super ;)

I do usually run it with 98ron, but at the moment it does have 95 in it

Would it also give off a smell if it's pinking? because it smells very strong while it's doing it. I plan to change the gearbox mount this week but I'm not convinced that it will sort the clicking noise.

The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like air escaping from a gap or them stupid clickers you'd put on your bike to hit the spokes, does that still sound pinking?

It sound's like it is running rich like mine is at the moment but then mine is running standalone management (DTA) which will be getting sorted very soon with a full rolling road/mapping session once i have arranged getting hold of a higher spec DTA ECU i am not exactly clued up on vw's yet but i imagine a hookup to vag com may help you.

It sound's like it is running rich like mine is at the moment but then mine is running standalone management (DTA) which will be getting sorted very soon with a full rolling road/mapping session once i have arranged getting hold of a higher spec DTA ECU i am not exactly clued up on vw's yet but i imagine a hookup to vag com may help you.

You getting the same sounds as well then?

You getting the same sounds as well then?

No mate my fault i should have explained it better mine is an R32 i only meant i get the smell of petrol like you said but that is because the car has not been mapped correctly with the DTA i don't get the pinking noise you are experiencing however i have had it on a previous car it was however a number of year's ago and can't remember what was done to remedy it may have been the timing not sure:bonk: As i said in previous post it may just need checking with vag-com setting's wise.

Hello there,

sounds like you could have one or two hydraulic lifters worn,

these can course the engine to misfire slightly if there worn enough, which then don't open the valve correctly and the noise they make when warn is like a clicking sound,

or it could be the exhaust manifold / down pipe gasket worn, when these go you can hear a clicking / ticking noise,

plus you'll be able to smell the exhaust fumes some times in the car.

You don't really have a smell from an engine when it's pinking you just hear a clicking / ticking sound which means the timing is slightly advanced,

this can be cured by retarding the timing by using a timing light,

but only as long as the knock sensors are working correctly which I believe are fitted to the VR6 and 16 valvers.

As KIPVW has said I'd 100% get the gear box mount replaced ASAP.

The only other part I've had play up in the past is on the 16 valver Corrado which had a clicking sound now and again,

which turned out to be a faulty throttle stepper motor switch, replaced that and the noise went for me.

But yeah I would check the engine oil level in case it's low because this can course the hydraulic lifters to be noisey sometimes,

plus the timing chain tensioner is oil fed and if the oil pressure is low which it can be when the oil level is quite low the timing chain may rattle ?

Plus get the CO checked and have the ignition timing checked and adjusted if needed, it's well worth doing.

I hope this helps,

cheers

Si :)

Cheers Si,

Personally to me it sounds like it's from the exhaust and when it's making the noise it does in the cab, I'm going to get the gearbox mount sorted as I'm not using the car this week.

If it's the exhaust gasket that's worn and the gearbox mount is gone would that cause the noise to become louder? Only that it seems to do it then will go, I might take it for a spin later and record it as it will be easier than describing it

---------- Post added at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

So there it is, a quick sound clip of it and the clunking that happens from time to time which I'm told is the gearbox mount

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72388[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]72389[/ATTACH]

Hello mate, please see attached pictures for detail reference.

Right I've just heard / seen your video clip and I'd say it's 100% the exhaust that is blowing,

I'd say it's coming from the exhaust manifold area as that's the sound you get when there blowing,

plus have the exhaust down pipe flexi joint checked as these can blow as well and you get a similar noise from them when there gone.

The down pipe flexi joint is designed to move & flex same as the engine / gear box do which are bolted directly to the front subframe,

via mountings these engine mountings do move and flex as well,

so when you use soft throttle you may not hear much of a noise, but when you apply hard / full throttle the whole running gear i.e (engine & gear box)

will lift and tilt slightly which in turn will move the down pipe flexi joint and open up the split / crack more that is in the flexi joint coursing the exhaust blow to be much loader.

This also applies to the running gear mountings which could be the knocking noise you have as well when you throttle off & on or change gear.

I'd get your gear box mounting replaced and get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced (these are the gaskets between the manifold & cylinder head)

Plus at the same time replace the exhaust down pipe gasket (this is the gasket between the down pipe & exhaust manifold,

then you should be all sorted then.

Oh yeah before I forget only use genuine gaskets as they are much thicker they are better made,

as most of the none genuine ones are thinnner and don't last very long at all.

PLEASE NOTE: there are TWO manifold gaskets on the VR6, unlike the G60 & 16 valvers they only have the one between the manifold & cylinder head.

Cheers.

Si :D

Right I've just heard / seen your video clip and I'd say it's 100% the exhaust that is blowing,

I'd say it's coming from the exhaust manifold area as that's the sound you get when there blowing,

plus have the exhaust down pipe flexi joint checked as these can blow as well and you get a similar noise from them when there gone.

The down pipe flexi joint is designed to move & flex same as the engine / gear box do which are bolted directly to the front subframe,

so when you use soft throttle you may not hear much of a noise, but when you apply hard / full throttle the whole running gear i.e (engine & gear box)

will lift and tilt slightly which in turn will move the down pipe flexi joint and open up the split / crack more that is in the flexi joint coursing the exhaust blow to be much loader.

This also applies to the running gear mountings which could be the knocking noise you have as well when you throttle off & on or change gear.

I'd get your gear box mounting replaced and get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced (these are the gaskets between the manifold & cylinder head)

Plus at the same time replace the exhaust down pipe gasket (this is the gasket between the down pipe & exhaust manifold,

Oh yeah before I forget only use genuine gaskets as they are much thicker they are better made,

PLEASE NOTE: there are TWO manifold gaskets on the VR6, unlike the G60 & 16 valvers they only have the one between the manifold & cylinder head.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Much appreciated to you sir

Going to get on it this week and get her back up and running, like I said it sounded exhausty to me I just couldn't understand why it was doing it under load but what you said makes sense

I might just get a 6 branch and have all of it done at once

---------- Post added at 9:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:31 PM ----------

Cheers.

Much appreciated to you sir

Going to get on it this week and get her back up and running, like I said it sounded exhausty to me I just couldn't understand why it was doing it under load but what you said makes sense

I might just get a 6 branch and have all of it done at once

So I'm in work this weekend, so I left my car at a mates to replace the gearbox mount, Just been sent this picture of my old one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72530[/ATTACH]

guessing they're oil filled and it has leaked out good and proper, would this contribute to the exhaust opening? anyone think when I get the new one in it will help stop the noise it's making

Yes it would contribute to the exhaust blow / noise you have,

but only if that mount was able to pull apart and move so much that it was coursing stress on the exhaust it's self,

when you throttle off and on or change gear.

Yes these mountings can be filled with oil or they can just be solid rubber that brakes up.

At the top of the mounting you will see the large thick steel washer plate with a female thread in the centre of it,

what can happen is where this female thread goes down in to like a cup and is bonded to the rubber with in the mount,

this cup can lift up out of the mounting coursing movement and knocking,

so even though the engine or gearbox alloy bracket mount is bolted down to the mounting the whole thing can lift up,

or if the oil has leaked out of the mounting then again it can course knocking and the mounting no longer has the support,

of the oil with in it which will course knocking.

When you have the gearbox mount replaced with a new one,

I suspect that you'll still be able to hear the exhaust blow.

The video clip that you put on hear was of a exhaust blow and of a slight knocking noise,

the knocking noise was possibly this gearbox mount and the other noise I believe to be the exhaust blowing,

I've only heard the noise from in side your VR6 when you were driving down the road in the video clip,

but I'd say it's 100% blowing.

I would imagine that you need to replace your exhaust manifold or gaskets or your down pipe or gasket,

to rid your self of the exhaust blow noise you have from your VR6.

When the exhaust has gone and is blowing you normally lose fuel economy and back pressure and can some times smell the exhaust fumes in side the car,

what you can do is start up your VR6 and put your hand down near the exhaust manifold area and down pipe area,

(but only from when the engine is cold and only for about 10 minutes)

and you should be able to hear and feel the exhaust gases escaping as you throttle on & off,

(you might want someone to sit in the car to operate the throttle for you)

I hope this helps mate

Si :thumbleft:

Hate to have to bring this up again, but yea you was right, gearbox mount was replaced and it is still doing it, also did the HT leads and plugs which needed doing so I've done a few jobs

Just ordered a new exhaust manifold to replace the old one, not sorted the down pipe yet but one step at a time I guess, the knocking however is still there as well, so the mount didn't help sort this but I couldn't see how the knock could be from the exhaust manifold now

Could the cracked manifold cause the knocking, sounds like heat shield getting knocked to me but I don't know

does it happen at around 2000-2500 rpm under load and then disappear afterwards? If so, it could be the big end shells. Not a difficult job, shells are about £50 or so, just need to drain the oil and leave the car standing for at least 12 hours else you get oil dripping on you continuously! Watch the direction of the shells.

Hello mate, with out really seeing your car up close I can't be sure.

But if the exhaust heat sheld was loose it would normally course a rattle,

not really a knock.

I'd have a look at your drive shafts mainly the inner joints that bolt to the gearbox,

as they can somtimes have that knocking noise when driving.

Plus check that the front subframe bolts are tight,

as that noise you have sounds a bit like something is moving / sliding across a bolt thread ?

I'll have another look at your video.

[ATTACH]72631[/ATTACH]

So this is the gasket of the side that is blowing, I don't know much but I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be like this

Just ordering some new ones this week as I've got some replacement manifolds

Yeah that would course your exhaust blow 100% :)

You need to check your exhaust manifold as well for any cracks just in case,

and make sure it fitts flat against the head as the manifold gets very hot and can distort.