Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

leaky petrol tank

Just filled my C up with motion lotion, starting smelling fumes after driving about 20 miles. Took a look underneath & I can see a patch of fuel that appears to be leaking from the top of the tank. Anypone else ever had this issue? Is the tank specific to the C?

Its a ,93 VR6 if that makes any difference

Have you looked under the boot carpet and the fuel pump fittings? Any signs of petrol there?

The tank is specific to the C VR6, AFAIK. Or at least it's specific to all the Cs with the space-saver spare and the 15 gallon tank.

It's the overflow pipe venting excess fuel.

They usually do dump a bit on the floor after you've filled it up. Especially if you're one of these people that keep going after the pump has clicked off.

A moulded plastic tank won't leak unless it's got a hole in it.

K

cool, didn't know it was plastic. I'll take a look in my boot at lunch time. I have noticed a petrol whiff before, when I haven't just filled up, so, maybe its a loose pipe as dazzy has mentioned??!!

Petrol pipes at the back don't come loose unless disturbed or perish.

The petrol smell might be coming from the engine bay, one of the carbon canister hoses say? Quite common. Or just as common is a perished fuel hose where it joins the injector rail.....

As for the puddle, pretty sure it's the over flow..... I've been under my MK2 before and seen it flood on the floor after filling up....it's normal. I shouldn't think it's anything more sinister than that.

K

Petrol pipes at the back don't come loose unless disturbed or perish.

i would still check them,saying things like they never come loose just cant be true...expect the unexpected comes to mind

dude had a quick look for the black cover with 3 screws can't see it? Can ya be a bit more specific about where its located? the boot is stinkin of fuel btw

Lift the rear carpet out Cheesy. You'll see it then! Can't miss it. It's to the right of the spare wheel.

I'd be very surprised if the hoses have come loose because they felt like it. After 10 years, mine took a lot of effort to pull off the pump......

K

dude had a quick look for the black cover with 3 screws can't see it? Can ya be a bit more specific about where its located? the boot is stinkin of fuel btw

its up under the carpet on your drivers side of the car behind the rear seats. its approx 2/3 of the way up from the rear of the car. If you pull carpeting out of the rear you cant miss it.

Like Kev says, this will almost certainly be just a case of a little overflow.

I remember recently a guy spilt some petrol down his jacket at lunchtime while filling up his car. He came back to the office wearing said jacket, and the WHOLE building got evacuated as a result- EVERYONE could smell petrol.

It's a very strong smell, I'm sure it'll only be a tiny spill has caused it.

nowt wrong with the fuel pipes under the inspection hatch & no further smell of fuel. V strange, I guess its ust one of those things?!! If its a perished pipe elsewhere then i guess, in time, it will get worse & become very obvious as to where it is.

Do you guys find that the fuel guage goes down VERY quickly after 15-20miles or so? Then goes up & down as ya break & accelerate? i guess the dampener doesn't damp that well?

Well that confirms it's the overflow then mate :D It does stink for a while after it's done a bit of, err, venting!

The way the fuel needle moves is down to the shape of the tank.

K

The way the fuel needle moves is down to the shape of the tank.

And the way you drive... ;)