G60radoboi

Removing sunroof.

Is there like a guide to removing the sunroof? I need to replace the seal on it and the roof liner in the car so want to completely remove the sunroof to do all the works. How hard or easy is this?

Hi - i think there is a guide on the wiki, try searching there :)

I have the same 2 jobs to do on mine & it would be good to hear how you got on if you have time to post feedback on here

The whole sunroof cassette is held in place with 8 (or was it 10?) screws which are easily accessible when the headlining is out of the way. Remove the visors, sunroof controls and surround, disconnect and unscrew the motor. If you're careful you can get away without removing any pillar trim.

I have a guide on a PDF,but I can't post it on here,if you message me your email I will forward the file !

Hi Dragon

Need to remove the steel panel of the sunroof (thus, outter panel on the roof)for a paint job of the car.

Have searched around, but not clear to me if the complete headliner needs to be removed or not for this job.

Important point (maybe...): my sunroof does not slide, but only tilts, due to a broken guide inside.

Talking about a 92 VR6.

Thks in advance for your comments, and eventually for your "magic" PDF !:)

Didn't they take the head lining out on wheeler dealers? Not the most Indepth guide but gives you an idea. Not done one on a rado yet but have taken out more than enought head linings and sun roofs out I t the past. They do take a while because if you rush and bend any of the lining and put a crease in it it's never gonna go back in right. 2 person job. When I get mine out soon I will be enlisting the help of my wife as all she needs to do is hold it in place while the trim comes off. (I garantee this will end in an argument lol) will try to remember take pics along the way. Another top tip is to have plenty of rubber gloves which need to be changed regularly because when the screws come out they will be dirty and grease and you don't want to get it on the head lining cos it's no fun to clean off and if your planning on dyeing it the grease spots could show through. Hope this helps.

Hi Dragon

Need to remove the steel panel of the sunroof (thus, outter panel on the roof)for a paint job of the car.

Have searched around, but not clear to me if the complete headliner needs to be removed or not for this job.

Important point (maybe...): my sunroof does not slide, but only tilts, due to a broken guide inside.

Talking about a 92 VR6.

hi m8

IIRC you can remove just the metal sunroof panel by putting the roof into tilt & then there are 2 screws on either side holding the panel on. I don't believe you need to remove the headliner to take off the metal panel

Hi Dragon

Talking about a 92 VR6.

this link is for a full guide on removing a headliner (just in case you need it)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5598465-Passat-Moonroof-Swap-amp-Headliner-Removal-DIY-Tutorial

hi m8

IIRC you can remove just the metal sunroof panel by putting the roof into tilt & then there are 2 screws on either side holding the panel on. I don't believe you need to remove the headliner to take off the metal panel

I think so too that in order to get the metal outer panel (painted as the body color) is it not necessary to take the whole headliner off. In wheeler dealers they removed the headliner because they had to replace the whole sunroof cassete...

Ref to the 2 screws you mentioned, are these accessible from the outside (roof side) or from the inside? Thks. Cheers

I think so too that in order to get the metal outer panel (painted as the body color) is it not necessary to take the whole headliner off. In wheeler dealers they removed the headliner because they had to replace the whole sunroof cassete...

Ref to the 2 screws you mentioned, are these accessible from the outside (roof side) or from the inside? Thks. Cheers

again IIRC they are on the inside of the panel

if you put the panel n tilt & then look from inside I think there are 2 on each side, 1 near front & 1 near back

this image may help a little as it shows the torx screw http://s44.photobucket.com/user/michaelmcnair/media/sunroof.jpg.html

I've removed the headlining from mine and slid the interior panel back. I want to take the cassette out completely to strip clean and service. Is there anything else other than now removing the 8 or 10 bolts holding the mechanism in place? Also, whilst its out, what tape do you use to cover the hole which doesn't leave an impossible-to-remove sticky residue on the paint? Would masking tape be ok?

Just the bolts and drains in the 4 corners Hasan. Undo the rear ones first working forward as the rear sits on brackets either side. Saves you having to hold the whole front end up whilst removing the rear ones. Use blue 3M detailing tape. Perfect for not leaving sticky stuff behind. :thumbleft:

Be interested to know how you get on also as I'm about to do the same to mine. Nothing seems broke on it and it will slide and tilt ok manually but if there is anything worth replacing whilst it's out then I probably will. After speaking to a lad I know at vw it appears there may still be some parts he can get hold of but nothing definite. I'm tempted to take the whole lot out clean and regrease it then replace the motor with a mk3 golf version which are supposed to be much better.

Edited by daniboy1_2_3

Guys, have the usual prob of tilt but no slide (broken slide). Have bought (believe 10 year ago) the original vw guide with cable but never fit it because of the hassle (and not i dyi man myself). Now its time to replace it but cant do it myself and dont trust any garage to do it for me (from the threads i read here, there are experts on the matter with more experience than any vw or non-vw garage). Therefore, anyone with experience with time and will to help me do it together? I live in Belgium (if anyone here it would surely help) but willing to come across up to London region to donit over there. Any volunteers or profs? I will be of course paying for the job. Many thks. Rgds KG

I have a guide on a PDF,but I can't post it on here,if you message me your email I will forward the file !

Hi dragon. Add u as friend to later on pm you with the pdf request. Many thks

Can u pm me the pdf you mentioned? Thks

I posted it a few years ago on the wiki and knowledge base,it’s still on there

I posted it a few years ago on the wiki and knowledge base,it’s still on there

got it - thks

in process of removing the headliner to start the repair, but its IMPOSSIBLE to remove the cloth hanger/hook (above the seat belt)....I read somewhere to slide up and remove, but it is really not moving an inch.....Without removing it I can't go further with the healiner removal....What am i doing wrong? don't want to force and damage...

That is difficult the first time its removed. Get a large flat screwdriver under it and gently try and lever it away from the side panel. Use a small thin screwdriver on ghe front edge to separate if from the metal bracket underneath. Just take your time. Finally push it upwards carefully. Good luck!

That is difficult the first time its removed. Get a large flat screwdriver under it and gently try and lever it away from the side panel. Use a small thin screwdriver on ghe front edge to separate if from the metal bracket underneath. Just take your time. Finally push it upwards carefully. Good luck!

Done / worked. Cheers mate!