dannyboi

starting problem

hi chaps hope you can help me out here....

my G60 corrado has a starting problem, when you go to start the car it takes forever to start, its turning over but just takes about 10-15 seconds to start up, and when it does start theres a strong smell of fuel?

the plugs and distribution cap have all been checked and seem fine,

ive been told it could be the fuel filter? but not looked into it yet

any help would be great chaps

---------- Post added at 1:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

sorry forgot to add

once you get it started if u leave it running for a couple of minutes then turn it off, then try and start it, it starts fine like it should

Edited by dannyboi

Blue Temp Sender - take the plug off and read the resistance across the 2 pins - chances are it's open circuit (dead)

Edited by Supercharged

What he means is, use a multimeter set to ohms and measure the resistance across the 2 pins of the blue temp sensor.

If you don't have access to a multimeter, you might be probably better of just buying a new sensor and trying it in the car. Don't think the sensor are much.

But I have read threads where people have bought new sensor which have been duff, from new. So it be better buying one from the dealers or ECP.

ok then ill try a multimeter first, what should it be,

ive also just been told that if i start the G60 and disconnect it the revs will drop if its working?

is this correct

I'm not sure of that, as I am also quite new to the G60. But I have read something like that to, just can't remember where.

I guess you could just try it, and see if there is any difference and its free to unplug it. Lol

I would try stating the car after its been left overnight. As that's what's giving you the problem, the first start of the day.

In the morning disconnect the sensor, and see if it fires up straight away like it should.

Also have a search around on this forum as to what the resistance should be on the sensor, as I have read it here before somewhere.

If it starts straight away with the sensor disconnected after 2 hours, i would have thought the blue temp sensor is your fault and you will need to buy a new one.

All temp switches should read around 200 ohms or above when there cold, if you have no reading at all or if it reads very low when cold then the switch is duff.

When measuring resistance on a temp switch, the resistance should be high 200 ohms or above when the coolant is cold,

and then once the engine has been running for a bit and the coolant is warm / hot you should see the resistance drop down to a very low reading,

if the reading is still high when the coolant is hot, then the Thermal Transmitter (Coolant Temp Switch) is duff.

Si :thumbleft:

Did anyone mention the vacuum hose from the throttle body to ecu? If it is disconnected/broken - you'll get a really rich mixture.

Did anyone mention the vacuum hose from the throttle body to ecu? If it is disconnected/broken - you'll get a really rich mixture.

ill see if i can get alook at it today,

ill get a friend to check the multimeter at the weekend

ive tried starting the car this morning with the blue temp sensor off and it did start how ever a few minutes later i tried it again and it wouldnt start with it disconnected i then plugged it in and it statrted but with the problem still there.

ive looked at the vacuum hose from the throttle body to ecu and it all seems fine, if i disconnect it while the cars running you can her a change in it running then as soon as you connect it back up it goes back to normal

The Thermal Transmitter (Coolant Temp Switch) governs the cold start injector.

(The coolant temp switch tells the ECU when the coolant is cold and so tells the cold start injector to fire on start up,

which should fire more fuel in to the inlet for around 3 to 5 mins which will course the engine to rev at around 1100 RPM,

and then should shut off once the coolant has warmed up and RPM will drop down to a normal 800 to 850 RPM)

Sounds like your cold start injector is getting false readings and is not shutting off,

could be a faulty warn cold start injector but these normally last for ages before they die,

the coolant temp switch on the other hand is in contact with 87 - 90 degrees C coolant almost everyday,

these are one of the most common sensors to fail and course the error you have.

Si :thumbleft:

The above doesn't apply here as g60s do not have a cold start injector.

It does sound very much like s blue to sender failure.

Last time I bought it from vw about £35 can't remember the part no tho.

I have used pattern parts from gsf before but they're not very reliable

Purchase the sender from your local tps ,or nearest , part no for thermo switch which i presume is the same for a vr is 357919369f. Tps will tell you anyway when you give them the reg of your car . Rob